“Average hotel definitely not suitable for families”

Maldron Hotel Portlaoise
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Portlaoise
Reviewed November 5, 2011

Me and my family have just returned from this hotel we had an under average stay at the hotel it is not suitable for families. We stayed for two nights in a family room that was on the first floor, we left the window open during the night because the room was very hot even though we had no heating on but this caused a problem as the restaurant kitchen was just below and we were awoken during the night with noise as this was a staff car park and there was a lot of activity at very late hours, there was a very strong smell of cigarette smoke in our room during the night which woke one of my sons up because of staff smoking at the kitchen door just below our window we wouldn't mind this but we had requested a non smoking room for a reason our whole floor was non smoking. Our room had no iron or iron press also we had one roll of toilet roll in the room and no extra given for our stay we ended up looking for storage area ourselves and taking a few rolls as there were five of us in the room. A major problem was that there is no lounge area in the hotel to relax and bring the children in the evenings just a formal restaurant with small bar area were everybody was crammed together definitely not good for people who wanted to have a drink without having food. We noticed a lot of people coming into the restaurant looking for a place to sit and have a drink with their families but just left and went back to there hotel rooms as there was no space. This hotel is suitable for people on business not for families or groups of people wanting to meet up.

• Stayed: November 2011
2  Thank Cartastic
Caitrionaogorman, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Portlaoise, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2012

Dear Cartastic,

I was disappointed to read about the issues you described about your stay in your review.

This is not normally how our hotel operates and was disappointing to read.

Can I ask you to send me through your telephone number so that I may discuss this further with you. My email address is cogorman@maldronhotels.com.

It is only through constructive feedback that we are able to make any wrong doings right and I thank you for the opportunity to do this.

Reviewed November 1, 2011

just back from weekend and it was really good 7 of us went and every one was happy with it (hard to do) thanks to all the staff who were more than helpful , looking forward to going again on new years, special thanks to lisa , from anne

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Caitrionaogorman, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Portlaoise, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2011

Dear Anne H,

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us last weekend and for giving Lisa a speical mention.

I was very happy to read how your entire party enjoyed their stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back with us in December to celebrate New Years.

Reviewed October 30, 2011

This hotel is very well run. The reception staff are very efficient and helpful and the restaurant/bar staff are also excellent. The night of our restaurant meal Linda was in charge and she was friendly, helpful and efficient. The leisure center is nice, bright and clean, The only complaint is the design of the hotel, the bar area is small and is part of the restaurant. Breakfast is the usual standard fare, again the staff were helpful and pleasant. The rooms are bright and clean.

Room Tip: We slept at the front of the hotel, it was quiet but the back must be even quieter as you be away fr...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank irishtraveller74

Dear irishtraveller74,

Thank you for taking the time to review Maldron Hotel Portlaoise. I was very pleased to read how you enjoyed your stay.
I look forward to welcoming you back to Maldron Hotel Portlaoise some day.

Reviewed October 24, 2011

I stayed at The Maldron last week due to work commitments. I was there for one night and enjoyed my stay. The hotel is easy to find, located at the exit off the M7 that serves Portlaois and Abbeyleix. It can be easily seen from the motorway. There is a large car park and there are several restaurants/coffee shops in the complex. I checked in where the staff were very helpful in explaining the facilities at the hotel. My room was a double which faced the motorway but the traffic noise was minimal. The room was as clean as one would expect and well equiped with the customary iron and ironing board, extra towels and bedclothes and tea and coffee making facilities. The bathroom was large and spotless. I have read reviews where people complained about the noise of doors slamming but while I did hear doors closing, It wasnt an issue. I didnt get a chance to use the sports centre but hope to, next time I stay there.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Andrew164580
Caitrionaogorman, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Portlaoise, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2011

Dear Andrew164580,

Thank you for reviewing Maldron Hotel Portlaoise.

We are indeed ideally located just off the M7/M8 motorway for both Business and Leisure Guests. Alot of our guests appreciate the ease at which they can locate us and the fact that they do not have to negotitate the busy traffic in town to get to here.

I hope when you return you will have the time to use our Leisure Factilies.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed October 18, 2011

Stayed here last weekend. Had a lovely time, Staff great very friendly & helpfull,good food & good leisure centre,rooms comfy&clean with all you need,(just reading reviews) You cant please everyone. We will be back, sooner rather than later. Thanks, Tom&Jac.

Room Tip: A room is A room?
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Jacquie d,

Thank you for reviewing your stay at Maldron Hotel Portlaoise.

I am very glad to read you enjoyed your stay and your for comments regarding our Excellent Team here in the Hotel. I have highlighted your review to both Tom & Jacinta, who both very much appreciate you mentionning their efforts.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Maldron Hotel Portlaoise.

Reviewed October 16, 2011

Just back from great value 1 night stay in Portlaoise.Staff very welcoming (Donna)
chatty and informative. Rooms lovely,Pool fab.The problem we found with hotel is that there is no lounge to relax with a drink. There is a restuarant with full bar but after meal no relaxing
sofas or chairs. Could,nt spend all night in straight hard back chairs, We were in a group with children so had to leave bar at nine,nowhere to go, Hotel lobby had 2 sofas which were
being used. Breakfast fab,love self service tea/coffee,no waiting around. Same problem
after breakfast,nowhere to relax with the papers. Night Staff did'nt enjoy their job,when
asking (michael) for glass of ice water to bring to bed,informed "Bathroom Water is drinkable". No smile,could,nt be bothered,bar staff could'nt wait to lock up,last drinks served
12.15 on the dot,no late bar for residants.Hotel great for overnight stay,business stay etc but not for longer breaks Food Court next door great range of food .

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank annetcarroll
Caitrionaogorman, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Portlaoise, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2011

Dear Annetcarrol,

Thank you for your review on Maldron Hotel Portlaoise and indeed for taking the time to offer us this feedback on your stay.

I was very happy to read your comments regarding our receptionist, Donna and our excellent Food.

I was disappointed to read your comments regarding our bar seating facilities as there are couches available for the comfort of our guests.
I would like to discuss with you further the difficulties you outlined in your review. Is it possible that you could perhaps forward me a contact telephone number and a suitable time to call you. My email address is cogorman@maldronhotels.com.

Thanking you advance,

Kind Regards

Reviewed October 10, 2011

Arrived on Fri 7th oct for a weekend stay. We had a meal booked for 8pm and as we only arrived at ten to 8 the receptionist kindly changed it to 8.30. However the food was terrible crutons in the salad were like rocks and everything seemed to be reheated. We retired to our room to watch tv after the meal as there was no ambience or atmosphere in the restaurant/bar. Breakfast was ok found the chef rude with a "what do u want attitude". Also waitress staff rude at times and looked at me as if I'd three heads when I asked for ketchup. Also keycards were deactivated on 3 occassions which meant 3 seperate trips to reception which was annoyin. On the positive, room was spacious and very clean, pool area was nice also. However there are more cons than pros for me to visit this hotel again. Won't be back and wouldn't recommend.

• Stayed: October 2011

Dear Meath 84,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Maldron Hotel Portlaoise.

I am concerned by some of the issues you seem to have encountered during your stay. I would like to speak with you to discuss these further and to assure you that this is not the way in which our hotel normally operates.

Can I ask you to forward me your contact telephone number & a suitable time for me to call you to cogorman@maldronhotels.com

I look forward to hearing from you.

Caitriona O' Gorman

Also consider these accommodations in or near Portlaoise
The Killeshin Hotel
#1 of 1 in Killenard
Tullamore Court Hotel
Tullamore Court Hotel
#2 of 3 in Tullamore

Been to Maldron Hotel Portlaoise? Share your experiences!