“Much better than a hotel for a short stay.”
Review of Ivyleigh House

Ivyleigh House
Ranked #1 of 6 Portlaoise B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 5, 2011

I had been booked into a local hotel but due to a blunder there was no room when I arrived. My company said they had booked me into Ivyleigh back in town. When I arrived I was very impressed with the house and the warm welcome.The room was excellent as was the breakfast. I was delighted not be staying in the (yet another) hotel and would highly recommend Ivyleigh House to anyone. It deserves its 5 stars. It is run very professionally but retains its charm at all times.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Brendan p
Gos90, Owner at Ivyleigh House, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2011

Hi there,
we are delighted your stay with us was a memorable one. Thank you for your kind words, it is lovely to hear feedback from guests, particularly when they have enjoyed their stay with us. It makes all the hard work worthwhile. It is nice to be appreciated in these difficult times. We look forward to seeing you again. Thank you once again for taking the time to write a review, I know it will assist other travellers in seeking accommodation.

Reviewed September 25, 2011

I have stayed here 5 times in the last 7 years while going to Electric Picnic and it's been great every single time. Jerry and Dina are great hosts and their house is beautiful. It's perfectly located beside the train station, the rooms are excellent and the breakfast is superb. On Electric Picnic weekends, breakfast is quite a sociable occasion between the various revellers!!

Overall, highly recommended for anyone staying in Portlaoise, particularly if going to Electric Picnic.

Room Tip: If yo can book early enough, go for the single room.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank BrianOHDublin

We are delighted to see regular guests return year on year. They know what to expect and we know what they want when they stay with us. Our guests are more relaxed and feel comfertable with the surroundings. We go out of our way to ensure their needs are catered for. Thank you once again for your kind words and we are looking forward to meeting you in the future.

Reviewed September 10, 2011

I recently had the plesure of staying in ivyleigh house for a night. My partner and i had heard great reviews and decided to try it out. From start to finish everything exceeded out expectations. The warm greeting from Dinah followed by a very comfortable nights sleep in the beautifully decorated guest room was topped of by the most delicious breakfast I've had to date. Have already recommended to all our friends!!

• Stayed: August 2011
Gos90, Owner at Ivyleigh House, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2011

We like to share our home with our guests and make them feel relaxed. They should enjoy the experience of staying in a historic house. It is important that when they leave they appreciate the work that goes into the business. Thank you for all your kind words and hopefully you will return to our home some time in the future.

Reviewed August 22, 2011

Thoroughly enjoyed our evening stay here. The breakfast really was wonderful and the house is very comfortable. Lovely hosts too.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mark_gorman_dublin
Gos90, Owner at Ivyleigh House, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review of our guesthouse. We endevour to keep our standards as high as they have always been. Our guests are our business and we like to take care of our business. Thats how we survive in this climate.
Thank you once again and we hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed August 11, 2011

We stayed here for one night whilst touring the country. This was our first experience of using a B&B establishment and we were very happy with our choice. The house is just a few minutes walk from the centre of the town with plenty of car parking space. We received a warm welcome from our host Jerry who also helped us to choose an excellent local retaurant for dinner. The house is decorated and furnished in period style and our room was large and comfortable, although the en-suite shower room was quite small and basic. Given that the room rate (inc. breakfast) was only 80 Euro, we thought that the place was very good value for money. Breakfast was excellent. A selection of cold items - including a very good fruit compote - was followed by a full Irish cooked breakfast and scrambled eggs and smoked salmon. All of the ingredients were local and organic where possible and accompanied by Jerry's excellent home made bread. We would definitely recommend Ivyleigh House.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Gos90, Owner at Ivyleigh House, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2011

Thank you so much for your kind words. I am delighted that you enjoyed your short stay with us and enjoyed your evening meal. It is a pleasure to be of assistance to guests who do not know the area and just want to unwind after their travels. Ivyleigh House is ideally situated in the center of town and all amenities are a short walk with no stress of parking or driving.
Delighted you enjoyed your visit and maybe we will meet again.

Reviewed July 12, 2011

I had a one night business trip to portlaoise and a friend recommended Ivyleigh House telling me it was five star rated by a number of organisations.
After prebooking by phone I arrived about 8.00pm and was greated warmly by Dinah, my host, who showed me to the guests lounge and gave me a breakfast menu which featured homemade granola,,museli and poached plums as an appetizer to the cooked breakfast. I chose scrambled eggs with smoked salmon and was assured that the eggs were organic.
My room was a cosy double, tastefully decorated,spotlessly clean with a very comfortable bed.
After settling in Dinah recommended an excellent restaurant only two minutes walk away for dinner.
Ivyleigh House is literally a stones throw from Portlaoises main street but in a very peaceful street.
I returned to the house circa 11pm and slept well with no disturbances.
The bathroom was spacious with an excellent roomy shower and plenty soaps,towels etc.
The smell of fresh baked bread coming down the stairs was great, definately worth an extra tenner which I said to Dinh who informed me that all bread was baked fresh every morning.
My excellent breakfast was shared at a large diningtable with fellow guests from Austria who were enjoying there trip.
I had the poached plums which were delicious. Previously I have had them as dessert.
The cooked breakfast was excellent with plenty very good coffee and Dinahs excellent fresh toast.
Ivyleigh house is an excellent place to stay and I would definately concur with its five star rating. I would also say that I was pleasantly surprised by Portlaoise with its many shops, pups and restaurants.
As a family we will be returning to Ivyleigh House soon for a short holiday.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Gos90, Owner at Ivyleigh House, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2011

I am delighted and thankful for your kind review. Our aim is to make every guest comfortable, relaxed and enjoy our hospitality. We put alot of effort into our business and we are delighted to share our home with you. In these difficult times it is important to give value for money and we strive to continue to this in providing home made breads and using local organic produce.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to your return/

Reviewed June 26, 2011

Everything you expect from an Irish B&B. Very friendly & helpful host, good room and an excellent breakfast

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Gos90, Owner at Ivyleigh House, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2011

Happywanderer, Melbourne. Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay with us. We are delighted and encouraged when our guests take the time to write kind words on their short stay with us. Our emphasis is on value for money and maintain good standards in these difficult times. We are delighted when guests highlight their stay with us as being the special place they stayed while on holiday. Thank you so much for your kind words and spread the gospel please. Hope you had a wonderful holiday and fond memories and maybe we will see you both in the future.

Gos

Also consider these accommodations in or near Portlaoise
Maldron Hotel Portlaoise
#1 of 1 in Mountrath
The Gandon Inn
The Gandon Inn
#2 of 6 in Portlaoise

Been to Ivyleigh House? Share your experiences!