Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Portlaoise
Reviewed August 20, 2014 via mobile

Firstly I'd like to start with the booking process back in March. My booking was dealt with by Sinead Doherty and from from start to finish she accommodated my every wish!

This weekend was a birthday celebration and it was a group of ladies where the ages ranged from 30 right up to 80!

The building is very impressive from the outside and has a beautiful foyer. On check in there was only one girl on check and as others have mentioned she was dealing with a long queue and answering phones but on checking us in was very helpful and pleasant.

The bedrooms - we had 5 rooms booked and we were all accommodated on the 1st floor. I don't want to complain about the rooms as every other aspect of our stay was so good but it wouldn't be a true reflection if I don't. The rooms while on the large side are very stuffy and dark on the front of the hotel. There is no aircon in the rooms but we were facilitated with a fan when we asked for it. The rooms to the back seemed somewhat brighter and bathroom looked a little more modern. The rooms are clean they are just a little dated and a tiny bit musty.
BUT
We had a fantastic weekend. Breakfast on both mornings was buffet style. There was a good selection and it was very tasty. A few of the girls used the swimming pool and said it was lovely with great changing facilities. A few of us used a hairdressers in the town which was recommended by the hotel. The hotel gave us 20% of treatments & the hairdressers was fantastic.
We ate in Spagos restaurant on the Saturday night and the food was TO DIE FOR. The meal was included in our very reasonable 2 night package so it was a different more limited menu but that didn't matter. 10 people sat to eat and there was 10 empty plates after each course. Food was served promptly and piping hot. The restaurant was busy with a few large groups in at the same time so well done to the staff for a job well done.

I cannot praise the staff in the hotel highly enough. There were a few things I asked for which would have been above and beyond the call of duty and staff went out of their way to help me. For instance on the Saturday night I had a photo dvd which I wanted to show the group and a guy(I'm assuming to be a manager. I didn't get his name) let me go back to pre dinner drinks with the group while he set up their own laptop in a boardroom so we could watch a 7 min dvd of photos. It isn't everywhere you will get that kind of service.

To summarise
What the hotel lacks in finesse in the bedrooms is MORE than made up for by the helpfulness of the staff and the food.

Thank you to all at The Portlaoise Heritage for a memorable weekend.

Oh and one last thing - we had no issues at all with car parking. When we checked in we were given tickets we could use to get in and out all weekend. We never moved the cars until we were leaving on the Sunday morning as the hotel is in such a great location in the town.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Bibi09ireland
Write a ReviewReviews (1,212)

Reviewed August 13, 2014

Stayed in the Heritage Hotel Portlaoise on a 1 nights B&B with meal Package with my Fiancé during August. Having stayed in the nearby Killeshin Hotel and found that hotel quite good we decided to chance a different hotel to see what it was like. Having seen images of the hotel it looked quite impressive and we made the booking online. After further review of the Hotel Website we found that there is no provision for customer parking and instead you are required to use an adjoining Q-Park managed multi story car park. I queried this with the hotel, but I was told that we would be provided with an overnight voucher to cover some of the costs, while this was disappointing, the booking was made so we went with it

We arrived sometime in the middle of the afternoon and outwardly the hotel an impressive building located at the edge of town on the tullamore side. As instructed we went into the car park and made our way to reception. There was quite a long que of about 6 or so individuals/couples waiting to check in and there was only one girl on the desk and she was attempting to handle customers checking in and answer the phone at the same time, and impossible task and the phone did ring out on a couple of occasions. This, by the way is no fault of the girl at reception she was doing her very best and handling the pressure as well as could be expected under the circumstances. I was just surprised to see one girl handling reception at about 3pm in the day when it is “check in time”, after a while another male member of staff appeared and things started moving much quicker.

Our room was on the 1st floor and was quite pleasant, nicely furnished and clean, bathroom was similarly clean, however the carpet in the room was looking a bit worn, and could really do with being changed. I found the temperature of the room a little on the cool side, so I rang reception and asked for the heat to be turned on for a short while. It didn’t come on immediately, but later the room felt warmer so I assume it did, although I can be 100% sure. We made our way into town for a short while and looked around returning to the hotel around 5pm and went to the bar and had a few drinks with another couple who we had arranged to meet. The Bar area was quite nice, plenty of space both directly in the bar area in surrounding it, despite the drinks order being wrong on one occasion the experience thus far was good.

We had booked dinner for 8pm and made our way down stairs to an Italian themed restaurant, we were seated quite quickly and service was prompt and polite. Courses came in good time and food was all hot and looked very good. All four of us enjoyed the meal and had no complaints and would gladly eat there again.

We made our way back up to the bar area after dinner and sat and chatted for a while before going back to the room. Overall sleep quality was good, except for we were awoken by a burglar alarm in a nearby building which started at about 3am and continued on and off until we departed the following morning.

Breakfast was served in another dining room and was excellent, plenty of food and all good and hot, although there was limited choice in fruits. A manager was also walking around and asked us if were needed anything else, which was nice as sometimes I find at breakfast you don’t get asked that.

Checkout was handled quicker than check in, as there was two people on the desk. We were given a voucher for the ticket machine which only covered us from 6pm from the previous evening until 10am on the morning of departure. We had checked before 3pm and stayed until after 11:30, so long story short despite being a resident in the hotel we still had to pay €9.50 for parking, the couple who joined us also paid about €9, so overall there was an additional cost of nearly €10 on the price of your room to park your car. This is a pet hate of mine, I don’t think it’s fair for a guest who stays in the hotel pays from a Room, Breakfast and a Meal and also spends money in the restaurant and the bar to then have to pay for parking, to me it’s just not on, and had I known that before making the booking I would not of stayed in this hotel. Likewise the couple who joined us will not stay in the hotel again for the same reason. So that’s 4 customers who might otherwise of returned now will not.. I think the hotel should rethink its approach to this and while I realise they don’t manage the car park, a better arrangement of free parking from 3pm until checkout should be considered.

Overall the hotel was fine the standard of the accommodation was fine, no real complaints in that department in in fact the only thing that bothered me was the parking issue, most other things that I didn’t like would be down to taste and not the quality of the hotel. We found all the staff, professional and helpful. Aesthetically the hotel was in good condition, with the exception of the already noted carpet in our own room and there was torn wallpaper in the bar area, which was quite noticeable. At the risk of over stating something PARKING PARKING PARKING, was my big issue. For that reason I can safely say I will not be staying here again. Make a change to the parking policy for your own sake guys!

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Dfinnerty
PortlaoiseHeritage, General Manager at Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel), responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2014

HI,

Thank you for your very comprehensive feedback on the hotel after your stay.

It was good to hear that overall you found the hotel satisfactory and we will take on board your comments where improvements can be made.

I was sorry to hear your dissatisfaction with the parking arrangements. Rather than going into detail here I would be delighted to address this with you directly if you would like to contact me on jobrien@theheritagehotel.com. I would like to assure you though that we would never wish to trap any guest into parking charges and that we do advertise the arrangement for parking.

I look forward to hearing from you and in the meantime, thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed August 12, 2014 via mobile

Found the staff friendly and extremely helpful. Aidan was the man who seemed to be able to do everything and could help with anything!! Meal in bar was good. Only one girl on duty in dining room for breakfast. It was very busy and I think she could have done with some help!

• Stayed: July 2014

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your stay with us.

I was delighted to read that you found everything satisfactory. Hopefully we will see you back at the Portlaoise HeritageHotel in the near future.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed August 11, 2014

Stayed here just for one night and was very surprised at how fabulous it was. at just €95.00 b7b for a family room we thought it was excellent value. The swimming pool is exceptional, really excellent for the kids, as it has a very safe kiddies pool. The breakfast the next day was very good & well laid out. The staff were very friendly & helpful. Will return for sure!

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank georginaoc

Hi,

Thank you very much for your kind comments in your review of our hotel after your stay.

I was delighted to hear that you found everything satisfactory and we very much look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

In the meantime thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed August 11, 2014

On arrival at the hotel the lobby is lovely check in easy staff very pleasant the room we got was a dive cigarette burns in
curtains drill holes in the wall what looked like coffee stains on the lamp shade shower was filthy however we had a meal in the Italian in the hotel service and food was monumental overall I'd think twice about staying here again but would have no hesitation in eating in spagos again it was top noch

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank JonoC1

HI,

It was good of you to take the time to give us your feedback on your visit to us.

I was glad to hear that your restaurant experience was good but obviously I was disappointed with the issues that you mentioned in relation to the accommodation.

I would welcome the opportunity to deal with you directly on this and accordingly I would be delighted if you would contact me on jobrien@theheritagehotel.com

In the meantime thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

My friends & I booked a family room, to sleep 3 adults on the hotel website. The room contained one double & one single bed. We were told at reception they would send up a cot to the room, but it never arrived. The website was a bit misleading because in the photos it showed a family room with a double bed & 2 single beds. Overall though the room was comfortable & clean. I was looking forward to sleeping in what was very a very comfortable bed but was sleep was impossible because of the stifling heat. The window in the room only opens about an inch so it was impossible to allow air in. The location of the hotel itself is excellent, everything is within walking distance. We did not ear in the hotel, not even for breakfast as it was not included in the price, which surprised me. Any hotel I have stayed in before included breakfast. We decided not to pay extra & went elsewhere. We stayed on a Saturday night and there was a fantastic atmosphere in the bar with music & plenty of people dancing & enjoying themselves. Overall a nice hotel, but room for improvement.

• Stayed: July 2014

Hi,

Thank you for giving us your feedback following your recent stay with us.

I was naturally concerned to hear of the aspects of your stay which you found disappointing. My apologies for that. I would very much welcome the opportunity to talk to you directly about the issues you mentioned and to this end I would be delighted if you wish to contact me on jobrien@theheritagehotel.com.

In the meantime, thank you again for your post.

Reviewed August 8, 2014

Just returned from a very pleasant stay at the Portlaoise Heritage hotel.Great location. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. The food in the restaurant was lovely! The swimming pool was great (but very cold) The children had a great time! I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family

Hi,

I was delighted to read that you had a very pleasant stay.

Thank you very much for your kind comment which I will of course share with our staff. It was good to hear that you found the food, service and staff satisfactory.

We did have a minor issue with the pool temperature at the time of your stay and my apologies for that. This has been resolved and the pool is now at the normal temperature.

Thank you again for giving us your feedback.

Joe O'Brien

Also consider these accommodations in or near Portlaoise
The Killeshin Hotel
#1 of 1 in Abbeyleix
Roundwood House
Roundwood House
#1 of 1 in Mountrath

Been to Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel)? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel)

Address: 20 Jessop Street, Portlaoise R32 DT04, Ireland (Formerly Portlaoise Heritage Hotel)
Location: Ireland > Province of Leinster > County Laois > Portlaoise
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Portlaoise
Price Range: $86 - $201 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:4 star — Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel) 4*
Designed to reflect style, planned with meticulous care to deliver service excellence, The Midlands Park Hotel has earned itself the reputation of being the most sought after hotel in Ireland. Nestled in the heart of Portlaoise Town, this sophisticated urban setting is perfect for business or pleasure. Its striking entrance creates an impressive sense of space and classic modern elegance. Our 115 deluxe bedrooms, incorporating executive rooms & suites offer the splendour of classic design with modern elegance and includes the latest in wireless internet technology complimentary. You will be spoiled for choice with our unique choice of Restaurants and Bars. Our White Flag Award Winning Health & Leisure Club is also available for all our guests. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Heritage Hotel Portlaoise