Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Portlaoise
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Very impressive frontage and easy car parking, the hotel is right in the town and easy walking to bars and restaurants. Very nice room, very clean and everything you need for a comfortable night's stay. Staff very helpful and breakfast was buffet-style and adequate.

Didn't understand the necessity for a cap to be worn when in the pool, so didnt use those facilities, which was a shame.

If you need to be in Portlaoise, this is the place to stay...... would recommend this, no probs

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
PortlaoiseHeritage, General Manager at Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel), responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

We are very fortunate to be in walking distance of the many shops, bars and restaurants Portlaoise has to offer.
I am delighted to hear you found your room comfortable and our staff helpful throughout your stay
Unfortunately Irish regulation stipulates compulsory wearing of swimming hats at swimming facilities.
Once again thank you for taking the time to post this review. I look forward to welcoming you back again to The Portlaoise Heritage Hotel.

Kind regards

Reviewed March 9, 2014

I booked this hotel for one night for a girls night out. I got the most amazing rate at forty nine euro for a b&b and a four course meal. I asked that we had three single beds (being the homophobic that I am!!) and that was no problem. I e-mailed them with one or two questions and my queries were answered promptly, I was also contacted by the hotel prior to arriving to ask what time we would like to book dinner There was a slight hiccup on arrival in that the car park was full and it was quite stressful trying to find parking as I do not know that area at all. Unfortunately I had to park in a little housing estate a bit away and walking with a suitcase and three inch heels was not an ideal start. HOWEVER once I got to the hotel door all the stress melted away. The staff were very professional and kind. Our room was HUGE and really lovely we had two single beds and a double (mine!!). It was very clean and although it was warm you could contact reception and ask them to turn off your heating. Loads of fluffy towels and plenty of pillows available. We ate in Spagos and even though we were late we were catered for by good humoured staff. The food was excellent and the restaurant warm and inviting. We had such a good night and all slept well. Lovely breakfast the next day with the usual fare. On checking out the receptionist heard we were going to Kildare Retail Village and gave us all VIP tokens so that we could avail of further discounts. So we were sorry to leave, super hotel and Jesus it must be THE best value around. We will be back.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Kildaregirl
PortlaoiseHeritage, General Manager at Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel), responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

Thank you for your fantastic review on Tripadvisor. It gives me great pleasure to read The Portlaoise Heritage Hotel exceeded your expectations.
We strive to offer all our guests value for money and regularly run special offers throughout the year which are exceptionally good value.
I am delighted to read you found your room and facilities comfortable and you enjoyed your meal in Spago’s our Italian Bistro. Spagos is very popular with both resident and non resident diners. We pride ourselves on the high standard of food and service.
Your kind compliments regarding our staff will be passed along to all members of The Portlaoise Heritage team.
Once again thank you for your fantastic review. I look forward to welcoming you back again to The Portlaoise Heritage Hotel.

Kind regards

Reviewed March 4, 2014

I booked a couple of days away for my boyfriends birthday. I have to say that I was a little disappointed. The first room we went to was noisy over the leisure centre with stains on the carpet, the second room was not made up when we got there and the third one was cold. It eventually warmed up but there were a couple of niggly bits which I just ignored.
I cannot complain about the staff who were very nice and helpful. Douglas in the restaurant was brill and the food in general is lovely for breakfast and dinner, the bar is small but nice.
I just think the rooms need to be looked at. The corridors were very warm as well. I enjoyed my treatment in the spa and Edel was very nice. I am not sure if i would return except to Spagos which is fantastic.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
PortlaoiseHeritage, General Manager at Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel), responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor. I am disappointed to hear you were not entirely satisfied with your recent stay with us.
We are currently refurbishing a number of areas within the hotel, which includes bedrooms and public areas. This project involves the repainting and recarpeting of different areas of the hotel.
On a positive note I am delighted to read you enjoyed your meal in Spago’s our Italian Bistro and your treatment in the spa. Your kind comments will be passed along to Douglas and Edel. We pride ourselves on providing good quality food and a high level of service.
I hope to welcome you back you back again to The Portlaoise Heritage Hotel.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

We stayed here for just one night for a get together with a group of friends. The rooms were Ok, clean and comfortable but in need of updating, the pool was cold and could do with brightening up. We ate in the hotel's Italian restaurant which was really good, the restaurant staff were excellent, making room for our group of 8 without reservations on a really busy night, food and service was top notch. If the restaurant experience was removed then the hotel itself is, distinctly average.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor. I am delighted you and your group enjoyed your dining experience in Spagos our Italian Bistro. We take great pride in delivering quality food as well as service. It gives me great pleasure to pass along your praise to our Chef and restaurant team.
At present we are in the process of refurbishing a number of areas within the hotel, which includes the repainting of bedrooms and updating carpets.
Once again thank you for your review. I hope to welcome you back again to The Portlaoise Heritage Hotel.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

Fantastic night in Heritage Portlaoise. We stayed one night 01/03/14. We were in the Bridal suite and from the moment we arrived we had lovely experience. Room was fantastic very clean and up to date. Staff could not be faulted. We ate in the Charter Bar and food was excellent as were the pints ha ha. Great nights sleep in room and breakfast was really nice. We would highly recommend it. Thanks again to all staff and we look forward to staying again soon.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your wonderful review on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to read you enjoyed your recent stay at The Portlaoise Heritage Hotel. It gives me great pleasure to relay your kind words to all members of our team.
Our Charter Bar is perfect for casual dining and allows our customers to enjoy their meal in a relaxed atmosphere, while enjoying a drink or watching a game.
It is wonderful to hear you enjoyed your night in our Bridal Suite, it is a truly special experience.
I look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

The best thing by an absolute mile about this hotel is Spagos restaraunt. The hotel itself is tired and in need of some updating. The rooms had no fridge, a 15 year old TV, room keys that constantly failed which meant a trip back to reception (this happened 4 times in 1 weekend). Noisy music in the bar which kept our kids awake. Jason Byrne was appearing in the hotel which meant that we could only have our meal at 5.30 in the evening or 8.45 which didnt suit because we had 2 children under the age of 5, because the restaraunt was catering to the customers attending the gig, which is no good enough really. The quality of the food in Spagos really surprised us, The decor was hardly awe inspiring but the food was amazing. I had the duck on both nights, it was the best duck I have ever tried.
The small things add up from the girl at reception telling me it was my mobile phone that was causing the key card to fail despite the fact that I wasnt carrying my phone, to the breakfast that had "run out" of eggs... I would struggle to reccomend the Heritage but I would wander into Spagos to sample their duck.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 1st floor which stank of stale smoke
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Stranded_in_kilcock
PortlaoiseHeritage, General Manager at Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel), responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to read you enjoyed your dining experience in Spagos. We pride ourselves on the quality of Food and standard of service in our Italian Bistro.
It is disappointed to learn the other aspects of your stay were not up to standard. We are currently in the process of refurbishing many areas of the hotel, which includes repainting and recarpeting. While fridges do not come as a standard in our rooms we do have a limited number available from our accommodation department which are available upon request.
I would like to sincerely apologise for the issue you had regarding the key cards. I have since spoken with our Maintenance Manager to look into the matter further. It is highly unusual for a key card to deactivate four times over the course of a weekend.
We hold a number of special events throughout the year such as the Jason Byrne concert. While I can understand your frustration not been able to get your desired time in our restaurant, we do advice booking early in order to avoid disappointment.
Once again I would like to apologise for our shortcomings on this occasion. I can assure you it is not a true reflection of our usually high standards

Reviewed February 23, 2014

This hotel came highly recommended. From our arrival at the hotel, it would appear a very nice hotel. We tried to check in and this is where our problems began. It was early so we agreed to wait until the check in time of 3pm at which time we were told there were no rooms ready as they had late checkout for the previous nights guests.We could not check in at appointed time, having to change clothes in luggage room as we were there to watch the rugby match. In the bar was chaos with only one bar open to service all guests waiting like us to check in.We ordered sandwiches from the bar menu and when we went to pay we were overcharged and had to explain the prices on the menu were ot s per our bill. We didn't get a room until near 6pm and having a meal booked in the adjoining Spago left us rushed to get ready to eat.The meal was lovely and staff in restaurant were professional and helpful. It was our first time to stay at the hotel and I doubt we would return or recommend it to any of our friends or family.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Eithne M

Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor. I am very disappointed to learn you did not enjoy your recent stay with us at The Portlaoise Heritage Hotel.
I have spoken with our Accommodation Manager concerning the delay with checkin. I am truly sorry your room was not available to you upon arrival. I have also raised the issue concerning our bar menu and the incorrect billing with both our Bar Manager and our Food & Beverage Manager. Full training will be carried out with all our staff immediately in this area.
On a positive note I am delighted to hear your feedback for Spagos our Italian Bistro. Spagos is very popular with both resident and non residents alike. We pride ourselves on the quality of food and level of service.
I sincerely apologise you found us lacking on this occasion. I can assure you it is not a true reflection of our usually high standards.

Gemma Jordan

Also consider these accommodations in or near Portlaoise
The Killeshin Hotel
Abbeyleix Manor Hotel
Abbeyleix Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Abbeyleix
Clanard Court Hotel

Been to Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel)? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel)

Address: Jessop Street, Portlaoise, Ireland (Formerly Portlaoise Heritage Hotel)
Location: Ireland > Province of Leinster > County Laois > Portlaoise
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Portlaoise
Price Range: $73 - $173 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:4 star — Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel) 4*
Designed to reflect style, planned with meticulous care to deliver service excellence, The Midlands Park Hotel has earned itself the reputation of being the most sought after hotel in Ireland. Nestled in the heart of Portlaoise Town, this sophisticated urban setting is perfect for business or pleasure. Its striking entrance creates an impressive sense of space and classic modern elegance. Our 115 deluxe bedrooms, incorporating executive rooms & suites offer the splendour of classic design with modern elegance and includes the latest in wireless internet technology complimentary. You will be spoiled for choice with our unique choice of Restaurants and Bars. Our White Flag Award Winning Health & Leisure Club is also available for all our guests. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Heritage Hotel Portlaoise