Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Portlaoise
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Four-star hotel in the middle of Portlaoise. Imposing facade and reception area. Showing some signs of neglect on the outside, stained and cracking concrete. Efficient and friendly staff, especially in the bar area. Rooms large, well-appointed and comfortable; clean, and wonderfully quiet. Safe was broken, and there was no wi-fi. (They said there was wi-fi everywhere in the hotel, but there wasn't. Can you get along without wi-fi? I can't). The biggest grumble was the food, which was patchy: breakfast OK, bar food and dinner were pretty awful. Maybe we were just unlucky. I would go back.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
PortlaoiseHeritage, General Manager at Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel), responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor. We appreciate your feedback and all comments are taken on board. I am glad to read you found all our team friendly and efficient during your stay., guest satisfaction is a very vital to our success.
Regarding the maintenance issue with the safe, this has now been referred to our maintenance manager for resolution. Regarding the WiFi issue, we do offer WiFi throughout the hotel. Rest assured I will look into the matter further as to why you were not picking it up.
It is disappointing to read you found our food unsatisfactory. We pride ourselves on quality and I can only apologise for our shortcomings and do hope you will give us the opportunity to redeem ourselves in the future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,207)

Reviewed September 23, 2013

I stayed here for our wedding anniversary with my husband as we had our reception here 2 years ago. We booked the friday night package, dinner bed and breakfast. We had our dinner in Kellys Foundry, we have eaten here before and quite enjoyed it, however, the food on the set menu with our package wasn't great. The chicken wings I ordered which were supposed to be flamin hot, were very bland and dry, the burger i had for my main was also very dry and not much flavor on the dressing. This was a little bit disappointing for an anniversary dinner. The waiting staff however were very polite and helpful. We then headed back to the hotel to have a drink in Mollys bar as we drank here before and found the trad music and atmosphere brillinant. However, when we arrived we were told Mollys had closed and only opens now for private functions, this was a little annoying and upsetting as it clearly states on the hotel website 'open friday, saturday and bank holiday sunday nights' so they should have updated this part of the web. We had a drink in the lobby but there was no background music or atmosphere, it was very dead for a Friday night, needless to say we didn't stay there long! When we got back to our room I did notice there is a lot of things that seemed old and grubby, the room had a slightly musty smell, the TV is very old and the colour on screen was bad quality but we couldn't adjust it with the remote. The bathroom shower nozzle looked appalling and the shower curtains were stained on the bottom (as per pictures). The nozzle was also very hard to turn on and adjust. Considering we had stayed here a few times before and had our wedding reception here, we were a disappointed at the standard of the place on this particular visit. We would probably stay again for sentimental reasons,and because the staff are friendly, but that is all.

Room Tip: Get a deluxe room and ask for a view if you like them, there are a lot of rooftop and wall views.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rose F

Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor.
I am sorry to hear you were disappointed with your meal in Kelly’s foundry. I have spoken with our chef as this is by no means our usual standard of service. We are currently in the process of updating our website and I sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused.
We hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

I have stayed in the Heritage on and off over the last few years but it seems to be gradually sliding down the scale. At one time it was excellent; now I rate it as only average.
When I stayed recently all the staff were welcoming and helpful. The room facilities were good but the room itself, while clean, was a little "tired". Breakfast was average for a 4 star. I stayed for cavery lunch and was disappointed. I came in about 1.30 pm (about a half hour after the normal start time) and the lunch I got was warm , but not hot. It was obvious that the food had been standing for quite some time. The food itself was pedestrian, I had expected something better.
All in all, I cannot say that my stay was a bad experience but it was nothing to write home about. Heritage folks, you are slipping.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Many thanks for you recent review on Tripadvisor. I am happy to hear you received a warm welcome from our staff.
We appreciate your feedback and I am sorry to hear of a lapse in standards in our restaurant department. I can assure you we strive to achieve quality in all areas. I have spoken with the restaurant Manager and they wish to pass on their apologies. We are currently looking at new ways to improve in this area.
We hope to welcome you back to The Heritage again in the future.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

We are a very small charitable organisation and from the outset the event manager Sandra helped us with ensuring we got the best out of our celebrations. The staff during the evening dinner were so professional and courteous. The food was superb and service was excellent. There was no set band provided by the hotel which can be expensive so we were able to bring along our own entertainment for the night. The ballroom looked amazing on the night and everyone had a great time! Thank you to Sandra and the staff at the Heritage for providing a great venue and such helpful staff on the night.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for you fantastic review on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to read of the success of your event. Your praise will be passed on to the team involved.
We take great pride in providing a quality service and thank you for your valued custom.
We looking forward to welcoming you again in the future,

Reviewed September 15, 2013

I stayed here last week and I was really disappointed with the standard of cleanliness. From the moment you enter the lifts to go up to your room, the chewing gum stick in the carpet and general dirtand dust leave a lot to be desired.
Bad musty smell in the "non smoking" room, and a definite smell of sewage in the bathroom.
Hole in the wall, and dust everywhere. You just get the feeling that this hotel is on its last legs and that there is just no interest anymore. I stayed here 10 years ago and it was fabulous.
Simply unacceptable for any hotel!
I mentioned it to the nice lady at the front desk the next morning and she apologised. (I wasn't offered any reduction in price).

• Stayed: September 2013

Thank your for your recent post on Tripadvisor. I am very disappointed to read of your experience and I can assure you it is not a true reflection of the high standards we strive to achieve.
I have spoken with our accommodation and maintenance manager to investigate fully and rest assured we will ensure a training plan is implemented to ensure these shortcomings do not occur again.
I would like to apologise on behalf of The Portlaoise Heritage Hotel. Should you decide to return to The Portlaoise Heritage Hotel in the future please do not hesitate to contact me personally.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

I stayed here for one night to break a journey. The hotel is very good indeed. I had a, large comfortable room and the hotel is very well looked after with its own bars and restaurants. All good and the staff were friendly and very helpful. The hotel is situated in the centre of Portlaoise town with plenty of pubs, restaurants and the main shopping area within a few minutes walk.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor. The Team and I are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We value your feedback as it is great for staff morale. Our central location allows you to enjoy the attractions of Portlaoise Town within walking distance.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Portlaoise Heritage hotel in the Future

Reviewed September 11, 2013

A first time stay as a couple, the room was a nice size, would be nice to have armchairs. The room could do with freshing up, a paint job, filling holes, bathroom nice but shower head could do with a clean (for some more power). Breakfast was very nice, staff helpful. Disappointed "olde world" bar not open. In general very happy with our stay, would stay again, a overall tidy up of the hotel is needed, inside and out. The fact that the town is so close is a very big positive.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 111Marko22

Thank you for your Kind review on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are very central to a lot of amenities as we are located in the town centre of Portlaoise. We pride ourselves on our friendliness.
In regards to maintenance issues pointed out we will action immediately.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Portlaoise
The Killeshin Hotel
#1 of 1 in Abbeyleix
Roundwood House
Roundwood House
#1 of 1 in Mountrath

Been to Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel)? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel)

Address: 20 Jessop Street, Portlaoise R32 DT04, Ireland (Formerly Portlaoise Heritage Hotel)
Location: Ireland > Province of Leinster > County Laois > Portlaoise
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Portlaoise
Price Range: $84 - $199 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:4 star — Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel) 4*
Designed to reflect style, planned with meticulous care to deliver service excellence, The Midlands Park Hotel has earned itself the reputation of being the most sought after hotel in Ireland. Nestled in the heart of Portlaoise Town, this sophisticated urban setting is perfect for business or pleasure. Its striking entrance creates an impressive sense of space and classic modern elegance. Our 115 deluxe bedrooms, incorporating executive rooms & suites offer the splendour of classic design with modern elegance and includes the latest in wireless internet technology complimentary. You will be spoiled for choice with our unique choice of Restaurants and Bars. Our White Flag Award Winning Health & Leisure Club is also available for all our guests. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Priceline, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Heritage Hotel Portlaoise