“Average hotel, not 4 star in my opinion”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Portlaoise
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Myself and hubby booked a double room for a dinner dance that was in the hotel that night. Got to reception very tired and found it very slow to check us in. I found the whole hotel seemed to be under-staffed. Eventually got to our room, nothing spectacular about the room. The window only opened about an inch and it was quiet warm in the room. There were black marks all over the walls in the room and graffiti over near the mirror!!!! It did seem clean though!!
The dinner dance itself - food was meant to be served for 8 o'clock, the bell wasnt rang til 1/4 past 9. Everyone was having the soup, we were still waiting a good 15-20 mins for it. Then at least 30 minutes for the mains. 8 people at our table and 1 small bowl of veg and 1 small bowl of spuds given to us - we had to ask for more (only 4 people fed with first lot)
Went to bar in function room while waiting on mains and were told by a very very disgruntled barman that they don't serve drinks during the meal(all we wanted was a glass of ice for the warm wine they served with the meal!!!)
Breakfast the next day was fab!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed here as part of a big party as a base for Dublin and a wedding. It was great.. Within easy reach of kildare shopping village and the Irish Stud. Great service - kid friendly pool and lovely nearby town. On the last night a group of very rowdy teenagers kept most of the occupants up all night and following complaints the manager was receptive and apologetic reducing the bill without issue a very professional response to an error by letting the teenagers stay overnight following a function. Cannot fault the hotel at all and would stay again - we ate at Spago and Kellys Foundary both good just watch for table bookings of 10 people or more they try to enforce a set menu upon you at a higher cost however when we refused and asked for the a la carte menu it was provided - also worth a visit The Pantry for breakfast lunch or just coffee and a cake great place good prices and very friendly.

• Stayed: August 2013
PortlaoiseHeritage, General Manager at Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel), responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for reviewing the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the staff helpful, friendly and professional in dealing with your issue. Our central location is one of our greatest assets and been able to ensure that we deliver the highest level of customer care is what makes our hotel so special.
The team will be delighted with your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

I must start this review by saying that we were not guests in the hotel but had booked Kelly's Foundry independently to have a meal out for our wedding anniversary. I must say nights out don't come quite so easy anymore with a 2 yr old and a 10 week old baby to get a meal handed to me is a major treat. We booked the last sitting of the evening so as to accommodate our children's bedtime before we left home very hungry and excited at the thoughts of the evening ahead. On arrival the restaurant was busy and seemed to have a good atmosphere in the main dining area. We were greeted by a very pleasant gentleman who showed us to our table. This is when things went down hill extremely quickly. The table we were given was positioned in an alcove off the main dining area. It looked like a storage area which would be used for overspill from the main dining region on busy nights. To say this place lacked ambience is a total understatement !!. It was situated beside the toilets, was cold, bright and had no background music apart from the sound of the hand dryer in the toilets and because the room was fully lit we were sitting there been glared upon by everybody who passed by on the footpath directly outside. There was another couple waiting to order and a third larger table which was strewn with unused glasses, cutlery etc. We were so disappointed we made our excuses and left. I would have much preferred that the restaurant had said the they were fully booked for last night rather than using a dingy dining space to palm off on unsuspecting diners as the real deal. I'm sorry but you ruined my night and I will never return again.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mich867

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am very disappointed to read your comments.
I do not take any complaint lightly and as a mother myself I know how precious quality time away is. I am disappointed that you were so upset that you felt you had to leave as customer service is a point we thrive on here in the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel and I am very sorry that you found it lacking on this occasion.
Please feel free to contact me directly, I will be only too happy to speak further about the issues you encountered.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

We stayed for two nights in the hotel -bed and breakfast with one dinner in Kellys foundry included. The menu in the restaurant was very limited,the starter was an onion tart -it was horrible and the baked cod was marinated in something weird and I just couldn't eat it.
The reception in the hotel was friendly but useless. We asked why there was no wi-fi in our room-on arrival they said they would ask their engineer to take a look at it and took our room number. We asked again the next day and the next - then we went home.

Room Tip: Ask for one with WI_FI
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest
I am very disappointed that you did not enjoy your meal in Kelly’s Foundry Grillhouse. Unfortunately on occasion there can be an issue with wi-fi. However all members of staff are always more than happy to show any guest how to log on. I am disappointed that you felt that the receptionist was not up to there job.
However we will be providing further training to ensure that customer service is a point we thrive on here in the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel and I am very sorry that you found it lacking on this occasion.

Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

Good food good rooms but short on staff at the time of my visit, 3 coaches & a gypsy wedding with only 1 out of 2 lifts working had added to their difficulties and my visit was only 1 night I would use it again. Newmarket holidays again found a good place

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for reviewing the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Unfortunately at the time of your stay one of the customer lifts was out of order, I am delighted to report that it was only a temporary issue and was back up and running on the Monday morning.
Thank you once again for your review, the team and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

I stayed in this hotel on Saturday 17th August for a one night "Hen Party" with 13 family and friends. I have to say it was fantastic. As the hen, I knew very little about what was on the agenda but the hotel staff certainly added to the experience. The venue was great and the staff were so friendly and helpful. Even though the hotel was full and very busy we all had a very positive experience. My fantistic Bridesmaid Karen had a Cocktail Making Master Class organised and Roy was our " Master"!! A great experience that I would highly recommend. Roy made sure everyone was involved and many of us met him again the next day and it was lovely to have him asking about how the rest of the night went. We also had dinner in the Foundry resturaunt and I was very impressed. Claire and all the staff were so friendly and made the night very special with a few extra surprises! Next morning we all enjoyed varied breakfasts and that set us up fir the journey home. I will defenitely make a return visit to The Portlaoise Heritage and would recommend it. Thank you all so much.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest
Thank you for reviewing the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel. I am delighted that your Hen Party was such a success and that you all enjoyed your stay with us. Customer service is of utmost importance to us and the team, in particular “Master Roy” will be delighted with your compliments.
Congratulations and the Best Wishes on your Wedding Day from all the team.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

This was a fab hotel from start to finish. I organized a family reunion for over 3o people. Sandra B was my contact person, who was more than Brilliant. She set a high standard to beat, but every staff member that we met lived up to this. Friendly, helpful, accommodating, patient don't cover there vast skills.
We had two family dinners in private rooms which were fab, the food of a high standard, with more than enough and beautiful deserts.
We will be returning to this hotel. Just great.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest
Thank you for reviewing the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel. I am delighted that your family reunion was ‘brilliant’. The sales team, Sandra on this occasion, are only to delighted to put together a package that suits your exact needs and she will be delighted with your compliments.
The team and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel in the near future.
Email: gjordan@theheritagehotel.com| Website: www.theheritagehotel.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Portlaoise
The Killeshin Hotel
#1 of 1 in Abbeyleix
Tullamore Court Hotel
Tullamore Court Hotel
#2 of 3 in Tullamore

Been to Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel)? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel)

Address: 20 Jessop Street, Portlaoise R32 DT04, Ireland (Formerly Portlaoise Heritage Hotel)
Location: Ireland > Province of Leinster > County Laois > Portlaoise
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Portlaoise
Price Range: $75 - $161 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:4 star — Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel) 4*
Designed to reflect style, planned with meticulous care to deliver service excellence, The Midlands Park Hotel has earned itself the reputation of being the most sought after hotel in Ireland. Nestled in the heart of Portlaoise Town, this sophisticated urban setting is perfect for business or pleasure. Its striking entrance creates an impressive sense of space and classic modern elegance. Our 115 deluxe bedrooms, incorporating executive rooms & suites offer the splendour of classic design with modern elegance and includes the latest in wireless internet technology complimentary. You will be spoiled for choice with our unique choice of Restaurants and Bars. Our White Flag Award Winning Health & Leisure Club is also available for all our guests. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Cancelon, Travelocity, Orbitz, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Heritage Hotel Portlaoise