“Poor restaurant experience”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Portlaoise
ireland
“Poor restaurant experience”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Ate here on a Friday evening in the bar with my wife and 18 month old daughter. The service was one of the worst I have experienced in a long time. Noone gave us menus - after ten minutes of waiting I went to the bar and got my own. One of the 2 staff on duty saw me but didn't acknowledge me. Another 10 minutes passed and noone came to take our order. Again I had to go to the bar and order. No apology was given at any stage. (I know that in some places this is the norm to order at the bar but the staff were going to other tables with menues and taking orders while we were there).

We then waited another 35 minutes and there was still no sign of our food. It was a burger and chicken dish so hardly that complicated. Again, I went to the bar and asked and was told it would be with us shortly. It arrived 25 minutes later - an hour after we ordered.

The food itself was fine but the whole experience would put me off ever going here again for food or a stay. We received no apolgy at any stage from any of the staff and the bar itself wasn't overly busy at the time.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank stationmasterIreland
PortlaoiseHeritage, Director of Sales at Portlaoise Heritage Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Stationmasterireland,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us.

I am very dissapointed to hear that you were not pleased with the service you recieved, as we pride our selves on our customer service.

However I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the food when it arrived.

Once again we appreicate your comments and they will be brought to the attention of those involved.

Sales and Marketing Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Polish first
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I ran a conference for over 300 delegates here this week. The Hotel was fantastic, facilities and food were excellent and over the 2 days we did not encounter any problems. The Hotel has brilliant staff and customer service is always to the forefront. The Hotel is situated right in the middle of Portlaoise Town, only about 3 minutes drive from exit 17 off the M7 and is as a result easily acessible from all areas.

I would recommend the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel to anybody planning a meeting or conference.

Room Tip: The hotel is extremely quiet and peaceful and all rooms are excellent
Dear Ceolceb,

Thank you for writing your review, it was a pleasure to host your conference and I am delighted to hear that you found the food and facilities to be excellent.

Our location in the centre of Ireland is very appealing to conference organisers and we look forward to hosing your conference in the near future.

Aileen
Dublin
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We recently booked a business meeting including dinner and overnight stay for approximately 50 people at the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel. The hotel was a very good standard and perfect for our requirements. The highlight of our experience and the reason I would confidently recommend this hotel for business events is the level of customer service we received from all of the staff at the Portloaise Heritage Hotel. To Bruno and his excellent team thank you for attending to our many requests. In addition the standard of food served for dinner and the level of service was well above our expectations. Overall fantastic value for money without compromising on great service.

Dear Lomurphy,

Thank you so much for your kind words.

I am delighted to hear the hotel fitted your business needs.

We look forward to hosting your corporate events going forward.

Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed here on one or two occasions lovely friendly welcome on arrival.this hotel is central to all pubs and shops has a fab restaurant on the premises and another across the road . The rooms are lovely and warm and clean . The food is good and great choice for the buffet breakfast.Can't fault this hotel staff friendly and make time for a little banter with the guest. Would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear AnitaQuirke,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your experience with us.

Looking forwrd to welcoming you back in the near future.

AIleen Dermody
Kildare, Ireland
Reviewed October 10, 2012

My husband and I had our wedding reception here in September 2011. From the first day of booking to the day after the wedding the staff couldn't have been nicer or do enough for us. Sandra in the bookings office was so pleasant and organised, and always had a smile. On the wedding day nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff, and the food, the room and the waiting staff were amazing. They really made the day go so smoothly and I can't praise them enough. We returned there for our anniversary this year and the service was just as excellent. The room was beautiful and they had a welcome note and chocolates in the room. We have stayed in the Heritage a few times now and have no hesitation recommending it. Mollys Bar is so much fun if you get there a night when trad music is on, and the italian restaurant serves amazing food. Parking is free over night and the hotel is in a fairly quiet part of town. I can't praise all the staff and this hotel enough, the best hotel experience I have ever had.

Room Tip: If you like bigger rooms then specify, as some of the double rooms can be small.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Bobby F,

Thanks for sharing your comments with us.
Thank you for letting us host your weddding reception it was a pleasure.
We look forward to welcoming you back over the coming years.

Thanks again,

AIleen Dermody
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I stay away over 100 nights a year throughout Scotland and Ireland and I really appreciate a good hotel.... I have to say this is a GREAT Hotel.. First impressions are everything and the Heritage lived up to this.

With excellent facilites throughout the hotel and a huge choice of on site restaraunts(not forgeting a fabulous coffee shop) within the hotel you will find everything to make your stay special. a personal mention about the service is warranted- the staff are a class above at this establishment- well done to all the team at he hotel. A real GEM nestled close to Slieve Bloom mountains and excellent connections to main motorways, and only 2 hrs from Dublin- this hotel is a must stay .

Room Tip: the suites are huge for the money and are worth the premium- also speial early bird menu offers are...
1 Thank Derek C
Dear Derek C,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

dublin
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We have just returned from a 3 night break at the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel. Having read some of the reviews before our stay, I was a little apprehensive about the hotel, however, our stay was extremely positive. The staff were more than friendly, the room was spotless and the food was delicious. The hotel is so central and for those who don't drive, the train station is only a 3 minute walk from the hotel. Portlaoise is a lovely, large town with 2 shopping centres and a lot of pubs. The Kildare Outlet is only 30 minutes drive away and there are many other attractions in the vicinity. I would highly recommend the Heritage and would visit again, there is also a fab leisure centre in the hotel which is a plus.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Dpyne,

Thank you so much for your kind comments, I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed that your stay at the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Sales and Marketing Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portlaoise
The Killeshin Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ballyfin
Abbeyleix Manor Hotel
Abbeyleix Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Abbeyleix

Been to Portlaoise Heritage Hotel? Share your experiences!