“Great deals and offers.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Portlaoise Heritage Hotel

Portlaoise Heritage Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Portlaoise
kilkenny, ireland
“Great deals and offers.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

I stayed at this hotel recently with a group of friends. It was a mid week stay and they offered us an excellend package of B & B, evening dinner in the Italian restaurant, a facial and a car valet, all for 89 euro. It was excellent value. The hotel has a lovely cafe and nice restaurant. It also has a good size swimming pool and some rooms for beauty therapies. Only negative is that it does not have its own car park. It does a deal with a car park next door which gives a reduced price but it still cost us 10 euro. Also the pay machine only took coins, which I did not have and I had to go back into the hotel to locate some.

Room Tip: Not a room close to the train station.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars
PortlaoiseHeritage, Gemma Jordan General Manager at Portlaoise Heritage Hotel, responded to this review, February 22, 2012

Thank you for your review on trip advisor .

The Team & I are truly delighted with your comments. As you have mentioned we offer great midweek offers and delighted that you and your group of friends availed of such offer.

Thank you for your comments in regards to the Spago’s Italian restaurant, Coffee Bean, Spa & Leisure Centre - we are thrilled you and your group of friends enjoyed your stay & facilities.

I note you comments in regards to the car parking and yes unfortunately we do not own or operate the car park but have a great working relationship with the car park and are delighted to be in a position to offer our hotel guests discounted rates.

The team and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel in the near future.

Once again thank you for your posting.

Thanking you.

Kind Regards,

Gemma Jordan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Polish first
Saratoga Springs, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Staff was pleasant but the place was overall average. The setup of the hotel was a bit akward, but for the price it was sufficient.

• Stayed February 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars
PortlaoiseHeritage, Gemma Jordan General Manager at Portlaoise Heritage Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2012

Thank you for your review on trip advisor .

I am disappointed in regards to your comments and title of your posting. I would greatly appreciate your feedback as your information was limited.

I would greatly appreciate if you can contact me directly so I can learn more information so improvements can be made if needed.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanking you.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Got a very reasonable deal in this hotel, €98 for DBB for two people. Check in was swift, professional. We hadn't booked dinner in advance which was a near disaster, as mid week both restaurants were nearly full. Who would have thought?? We got a table in Kellys Foundary, and had a an absolutely fantastic meal, the service was personable and friendly, and the food was fantastic. I would agree with previous reviewers about the rooms. With the addition of Duvets and a few small touches there would be a vast improvement. That being said, our room was clean, warm, with three separate pieces of art, and a great shower.
Overall a very good hotel, and well worth a visit.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review on trip advisor. A review which is scored so highly is greatly celebrated at the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel so thank you most sincerely on behalf of the team and I.

I am delighted you and your partner enjoyed your stay with us, excellent customer and personal service is one element that makes us different from other hotels and I am delighted that you partner agree. The team and I are delighted that your stay was such a great success and once again thank you for taking the time for posting your comments.

I am delighted that from your arrival to your departure you & your partners stay was such a success. The Kelly’s Foundry grill house team are in particular delighted with your glowing comments. As you have noted a dinner reservation is needed as even midweek we are in most cases fully booked, which is a great complaint.

In regards to the rooms as you will note from my pervious comments posted to other guests that we are confident in getting the rooms update across the line in the very near future.

Thank you sincerely once again for taking the time to post your wonderful review with benefits the team and the hotel as a whole.

Thank you for your repeat and valued custom which as mentioned is very much looked forward to every year.

Cavan, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

Myself, my sister, and my 6 year old niece recently had a lovely 2 nights at the Heritage Hotel in Portlaoise.

The building istelf is beautiful - very impressive on the outside with equally impressive public areas inside - and very centrally located, only a short walk from restaurants, shopping centre, cinema, etc. Parking is in the adjacent multi-story which has an entrance directly into the hotel. ( If you're staying B&B parking is free but it might be worth noting that if you're staying on a room-only rate you have to pay for parking, which could add up).

The staff were all very helpful and friendly. I rang up a few days beforehand to confirm our booking and spoke with Amanda (I think !), who couldn't have been friendlier and took the time to answer all my questions. On arrival at the hotel, we met the same helpful attitude from all of the staff.

The pool area was excellent - one of the best we've come across. Spotlessly clean, a very spacious pool with adjoining children's pool, plently of floating aids available, and what my niece called the 'waterpark' - jets at one edge of the pool that sprayed water and bubbled up from below - great for the children. Again, the staff here were very friendly and cheerful.

I've left the room until last, mainly because this was where we hit our only real disappointment. On the whole it was fine - the bathroom was spotlessly clean, as were the linens and towels. And the room itself was very tidy and all the table surfaces clean. The problem was that the walls and carpet were filthy - the carpet was hoovered all right but definitely needed a shampoo. I certainly wouldn't let that put me off staying here, but I do think it's something that needs to be addressed. I understand that in a hotel as busy as the Heritage, it would be hard to find time to give the walls and carpets of every room a thorough wash, but it's a shame in such a beautiful hotel to be let down by something so basic.

Apart from this small quibble though, we had a lovely stay at the Heritage,and would certainly recommend it.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank claire026
Dear guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review on trip advisor. Thank you most sincerely on behalf of the team and I.

The team and I are truly delighted your sister & little niece enjoyed your stay with us, excellent customer and personal service is one element that makes us different from other hotels and I am delighted that your family agree.

In regards to a few complements you have mentioned - Thank you once again as a whole, Amanda O’ Sullivan Revenue Manager is a great asset to our team and I am thrilled that you felt the excellent customer service was seen throughout the hotel. Excellent customer service is a key element we practice daily to ensure we go over and beyond for each and every guest here in the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel.

The Leisure Centre Manager Therese and her Team are also trilled with your glowing feedback so thank you once again. You have certainly made our day so thank you most sincerely.

Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

I didn't stay in the hotel but went to the spa for a day of treatments.The spa was alright,i've been to better but the treatments were lovely!However...I realised about a week later that i had left my necklace there which the beauty therapist had taken off for my massage. When I rang the hotel they claimed they had rang my phone (they hadn't) and then they proceeded to take my credit card details to charge me for posting it back to me in Dublin €5 maximum but they didn't even offer to post it free of charge...very poor service and doesn't say much about how well business is going that they need to charge clients who previously paid for a day of treatments for post!Needless to say they have lost my business and I will not be returning.

Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank D_B279
PortlaoiseHeritage, Gemma Jordan General Manager at Portlaoise Heritage Hotel, responded to this review, February 15, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on trip advisor.

I am disappointed to hear your feedback after leaving Ealu Spa. I have passed on your message to the Spa whom I understand have called and spoken to you this morning in regards to refunding your card.

For the safe return of your necklace Edel in the spa who carried out your treatment decided to register post the item to ensure its safe return & followed the common procedure of charging guests for lost property items, I appreciate this case is slightly different as the item was removed to carry out the treatment and not to cause damage to your necklace.

As a point to note Ealu Spa is ran separately to the hotel, but in saying this I take full responsibility for any issues that may occur.

I am delighted that the money will be refunded to your card and that we have corrected the situation for you.

Sincere apologies for the matter as a whole, Ealu Spa and the Portlaoise Heritage hotel look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Portlaoise Heritage Hotel

Travelers are raving about these Portlaoise hotels

Mayo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

Booked into this hotel for an overnight stay with family to attend at gaa match that was in the town at the time. We booked in to the hotel as we found very good deals and offers so we were looking forward to the stay as we had to travel four hours to get there so it was ideal to stay instead of travelling home late that night... BUT on arrival, was immediately told that both our rooms were cancelled the day before. Thought it was a joke at first but then the manager arrived saying that we had cancelled the day before and was adamant about it. As we said to them why would we travel four hours up to the hotel that was cancelled, they said all their rooms were booked, including our "cancelled room" and the best they could do was to see if they could book us into another hotel at our own expense. At this stage we were very distraught and made the decision to drive the four hours home after the match. All in all we were left so disappointed and totally embarrassed for something that was not our fault.

Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank MissKMayo
PortlaoiseHeritage, Gemma Jordan General Manager at Portlaoise Heritage Hotel, responded to this review, February 13, 2012

Thank you for your review on trip advisor .

I am disappointed in regards to your comments that your rooms were cancelled. After numerous conversations I am disappointed that we have not come to the bottom of situation regarding the cancelled rooms. Our Front office manager even received a telephone call apologizing for the incident?.

I would greatly appreciate if you can contact me directly so we can attempt to get the bottom of the situation. I can assure you, we would not cancel rooms without authorization. I apologise we could not accommodate your arrival on the day as the hotel was fully booked.

Sincere apologies for the matter as a whole, looking forward to hearing from you.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

just returned from three wonderful days at the hotel, with 46 other people
we has a marvellous time amanda o'sillivan & gemma jordan( managers)
plus there staff could not do anough for us , food lovely and plentiful, pool was spotless
with lovely big towels, Rooms spotless clean fresh towels every day all in all we were
well looked after from sunday to wed,. are every needs were catered for. the hotel is
in the heart of the town & the railway station only a short walk away.

Room Tip: we were in the front and found it fine , lifts in centre of rooms ,if u wish to use stairs ask for...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
PortlaoiseHeritage, Gemma Jordan General Manager at Portlaoise Heritage Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your wonderful glowing review on trip advisor. A review which is scored 5 out 5 is greatly celebrated at the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel so thank you most sincerely on behalf of the team and I.

I am delighted you and your large party enjoyed your stay with us during your three day stay and that you found the team to be so friendly and helpful. Excellent Customer and personal service is one element that makes us different from other hotels and I am delighted that you & your party agree. The team and I are delighted that your three day stay was such a great success. Amanda O’ Sullivan and the entire team and delighted with their mention and I agree with your glowing comments were well deserved.

I am delighted that from your arrival to your departure you & your parties stay was such a success. As you used all areas of the hotel and dined in 2 out of 3 of our restaurants we are delighted with your comments. From the coffee bean, restaurants, bars, front office team, accommodation, conference & banqueting team to the leisure centre we thank you for your comments and look forward to welcoming you and your party back to the Portlaoise Heritage in the near future.

Gemma Jordan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portlaoise
The Killeshin Hotel
Seven Oaks Hotel
Seven Oaks Hotel
#3 of 5 in Carlow
4.5 of 5 stars 502 reviews

Been to Portlaoise Heritage Hotel? Share your experiences!