“Meh!”
Review of Taste of Italy - CLOSED

Taste of Italy
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Our restaurant is situated in Hynds Square Portlaoise, (you can view their facebook page to see pictures)...in the Summertime we will have outdoor tables and sunshades...for the real Italian experience..!
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Visited last night for the first time. Zero atmosphere for starters, no table decorations or candles, there was very quiet background music for a time but this stopped. It just meant you could hear every chair scrape, every clang from the kitchen etc. We could also hear neighbouring tables conversations. Just too noisy - music and soft furishings would help. The couple behind us had a screeching child and their method of dealing of it was to walk all around the restaurant and between the tables to quiet it - very off putting but obviously this is not the restaurants fault.

Starters were fine, we both had bruschetta, but then its pretty hard to mess up. Husband had chicken romano as a main and when he asked the waiter if it was creamy as he was wondering whether to have pasta with cream or tomato as a side the waiter just looked at him and offered no advice. The wiater was nce enough but was rushed off his feet - maybe a few more members of staff would have helped. I had ravioli with meat which was again just fine. Wine was decent and the glasses were large.

We ordered at 6pm and didnt get mains until 6.50 - a good 20 minutes after we finished our starters - too long a wait. Bit fed up then so we didnt have dessert.

Overall, Just average - €60 for 2 courses and 2 glasses of wine each was a bit steep for the experience we had. Cant say I'd rush back. The whole place just seems a bit tired and the staff looked fed up. its a shame as the food was decent enough.

velumna, Assistant PR at Taste of Italy, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2013

Hi Julie, It was a Sunday evening when you had your meal, and there had been some match on in Portlaoise. We had a sudden influx of customers, and yes, we will admit, that our resources were stretched with the unexpected crowd. So... sorry your impression was "meh", Our food was still freshly cooked, although slower to be served than we would have liked. So, we apologise for the slowness.... unfortunately ... we couldn't do anything about the baby. Sometimes things like this happen, in spite of our best efforts. We hope your next meal will be more serene and satisfactory. We take into account criticism as well as praise, and we will endeavour to ensure that this doesn't happen again!

There are newer reviews for Taste of Italy

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Having been replied to as a result of my review with a plausible response to my criticisms we decided to give this restaurant a second try. I am not sorry we did as we had a fine meal with well done pasta and a full menu.

velumna, Assistant PR at Taste of Italy, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2013

Hi Dain 96,
We are so pleased that you visited us again, and that everything was to your satisfaction. We love to hear praise when things are good, and if they are not, we will always do our best to improve.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

Having been to Italy and had some fab meals there we are always a bit wary about going to Italian restaurants but this restaurant really was a taste of italy. We had a fabulous 3 course meal and a bottle of wine for 75 euros which was great value. The bruchetta starters were very tasty and the seafood risotto was delicious with lots of mussels and prawns and calamari. My husband had a spicy chicken penne which i tried and was also fab. We both had the ice cream for dessert as after the 1st 2 courses we were quite full. The service we received was excellent and the decor although fairly basic reminded us of some of the restaurants we visited when we were in italy. I would definitely recommend this restaurant. I would perhaps recommend some more signage if possible because as newcomers to portlaoise we found it a bit tricky to find.

Hi Emsharon,
Thanks you for your lovely review... it is so pleasing when people enjoy our restaurant, our food and our service. Yes... we will try to get some more signs, we frequently get new customers by recommendation, and our good location, close to both the Heritage Hotel, and the upper Main Street.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Food was delightful and children in our party who were well catered for, early bird menu was great value.

Thanks Pieces for your kind words!

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Now being honest i had heard mixed reviews about this place but decided to give it a go myself so took my girlfriend for lunch a few months ago. Now i have eaten in quite a few restaurants but I can quite honestly say that this is one of the worst I have ever eaten in. I ordered pizza which was stone cold when it arrived. My girlfriend ordered pasta carbonara which she loves. However after a single mouthful it became very obvious what poor quality food they are using. The pasta was full of bones! They were obviously from whatever bacon they were using. My girlfriend had about two mouthfuls and couldn't stomach any more so left her pasta. She would never be someone to complain about food but told the waiter about the bones and showed them to him. We did not receive any apology or have the pasta taken off the bill. But worst of all we received the worst attitude from the waiter too which resulted in him throwing his eyes up to heaven at us! Horrendous bad manners and customer service. I wouldn't waste my money ever returning here.

velumna, Assistant PR at Taste of Italy, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Hi ColinC08,
We can not believe that you are referring to our restaurant! If you had lunch with your girlfriend a few months ago....... than why did you wait so long to post your review! What you have said is so much the opposite of all our other reviews... that we are left wondering...................