“BELLISSIMA: Roundwood House”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mountrath
Milan
“BELLISSIMA: Roundwood House”
Reviewed December 7, 2006

My fiancé and I spent a lovely weekend at Roundwood House, Mountrath! In a beautiful region, an amazing house, warm and gracious hospitality and great food, the best we had in Ireland. Our room was spacious, elegant and very comfortable, but the house and its gardens offered so many pleasant corners hardly describable in a few lines.

I would definitely recommend it to friends.

• Liked — Hospitality, food and decor
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — a longer stay
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Ciclamino

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed October 30, 2006

My husband and I stayed at this hotel/B&B for 1 night. Having read earlier reviews I was expecting a very high standard and was therefore prepared to pay more than usual. We paid EUR 75 each (i.e. EUR150 for the 2 of us for the night) which was extremely expensive for what we got. An average B&B would cost about EUR40 per person per night.

It was a very average stay. I should add that we were not staying in the main house, we were staying around the back in a much older, less inviting building. Perhaps the main house is much more luxurious. Our room was very basic, there were no facilities - no tea and coffee making facilities, no tv. The shower was terrible, just a trickle of roasting hot water which scalded rather than cleaned. The most peculiar thing was that there were no keys to any of the rooms..so everybody slept with open doors. We didn't particularly mind this but if I had been a woman on my own I would have been much more concerned.

The breakfast was the standard B&B fare - cereal, yogurt, full Irish fry-up, toast, coffee: exactly the same as the breakfast which you'd get in a regular B&B. As a vegetarian, this means I just had eggs and tomatoes - not very impressive. For this price one would have expected a menu with choice rather than 2 scrambled eggs..

All in all, an average stay which was expensive at the price - poor value for money. The grounds and house, however, are lovely as is the surrounding countryside.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank MiaMe
pannah2, owner at Roundwood House, responded to this review, May 15, 2007
We are very sorry to read that any guest has a disappointing stay at Roundwood. Of course the whole point of Trip Advisor is that reviewers must be free to say exactly how they feel, and we agree wholeheartedly with this principle.

We would like to make two brief comments in response to MiaMe’s post. The first is regarding the valid point made about the showers in the Yellow House. We are now aware that they are not of a satisfactory standard and are making plans to have them replaced. The second refers to the suggestion that doors without locks are a potential security threat for women staying on their own. We feel it necessary to stress here that, as well as being a hotel, Roundwood is our family home and in the twenty four years we’ve run it as such we haven’t had a single security-related incident. The fact that Roundwood is an unspoilt, historic house, and not a typical hotel, is very appealing to most of our guests. We continue in our endeavours to provide our guests with a pleasurable stay in a relaxed and informal environment.

Yours sincerely,

Frank & Rosemarie Kennan

San Mateo, Ca
Reviewed July 15, 2006

We (myself, my mother and my two boys) stayed at Roundwood House on our way from Dublin to Kerry. The house itself is just beautiful. The room was nice and it was comfortable. Our windows overlooked the beautiful garden and all I could hear for miles were birds!! It was out of a fantasy. My boys had a wonderful time exploring the gardens. My mom and I enjoyed the breakfast and wished we had enjoyed dinner as well. Our hosts, Frank and Rosemarie, were friendly and made us all feel very welcome. I would highly recommend this wonderful home for your visit. You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed June 2006
5 Thank wannawazoo
Helsinki
Reviewed July 9, 2006

We stayed in Coach House, which is a lovely place and especially nice for children. Horses, peacocks jumping to the roof, playful dogs Frodo and Sheridan, big back yard for football and much more. Roundwood House is very well situated to explore Kilkenny, Tullamore, Birr and many other places. I would highly recommend Roundwood House!!

Stayed July 2006
5 Thank tripswithkids
Dublin
Reviewed March 21, 2006

I stayed at Roundwood for just one night recently and would have liked to stay for more. The house is very relaxing, and Frank and Rosemarie make you feel at ease straight away. Unfortunately it rained a lot when we were there, but got to explore a little of the grounds before we left. The food is great there, lovely dinner and breakfast, and I liked the communal dining, although this may not be to everyones taste.

• Stayed March 2006
4 Thank MillicentD
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 2, 2005

I had the wonderful pleasure of staying at the Roundwood House in May, 2005. I had not experienced staying at a Bed & Breakfast before going to Ireland. I found the Roundwood to be very welcoming, comfortable and fun! Frank and Rosemary took very good care of me (I was travelling by myself) and I found their accomodations clean, safe and very friendly.

On Saturday night they had a full course meal for all the guests. I highly recommend this. The food was wonderful. I don't think I had another meal as great as the dinner at Roundhouse. One of the guests was celebrating her birthday, and there were special touches added to the evening for all to enjoy.

The breakfasts were also great. Rosemary makes a homemade yogurt - I didn't try it, but the other guests raved about it. The choices for breakfast were many, and I was able to have a full breakfast every day.

After leaving the Roundwood, I stayed at a Castle and another Bed & Breakfast on my travels through Ireland. Looking back, I wish I could have stayed at Roundwood the entire time; and next time I probably will. I even changed my plans so I could return to the Roundwood one last night before leaving Ireland.

The best part..... I heard the rooster crow in the mornings. I had not had that happen since I was a small child staying with my grandparents on their farm in Iowa!

The directions to find Roundwood were helpful and accurate. I arrived at night, so it was a bit difficult to get my bearings until the next day, but I found R.H. easy by following the directions.

I did not spend a lot of time walking the grounds around Roundwood, but I believe it would be a great place to spend a very peaceful vacation. My travels took me away from R.H. every day and I returned in the evenings.

• Stayed May 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Huntington, West Virginia
Reviewed June 1, 2005

We spent 3 nights at Roundwood House and enjoyed every minute of them. The rooms are lovely, the grounds beautiful, the animals friendly and the host most gracious and accomodating. It was like being invited down for a weekend in the country with old friends and new. We will definitely come back.

• Stayed May 2005
4 Thank J&JHubbard
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mountrath
Ballyfin Demesne
#1 of 4 in Portlaoise
Abbeyleix Manor Hotel
Abbeyleix Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Abbeyleix

Been to Roundwood House? Share your experiences!