“very nice spot - and very lovely hosts”
Review of Roundwood House

and 1 more site!
Roundwood House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mountrath
Bern
“very nice spot - and very lovely hosts”
Reviewed July 19, 2011

We only spent one night at the Roundwood House. Stayed at the yellow room, which is quite big. Keep in mind that this is an old building so the rooms are. It was nice for what it is. Hannah and Paddy are making the guests feeling home - they are really lovely and take good care of everybody. We had dinner there as well which was simply brilliant (the food was amazing)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank TomG20

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Dewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 27, 2011

We spent two nights with breakfast and one with dinner at Roundwood. Hannah and Paddy immediately made us feel like members of the family. They created a very relaxed atmosphere in a lovely country house setting. The quality of the meals was outstanding, using only the best locally souced ingredients, and homemade products where possible.
Nothing was too much trouble for them, lending us some walking equipment and they took care to advise us on suitable routes.
We met some very interesting fellow guests and enjoyed their company during dinner.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
College Station, Texas
Reviewed May 7, 2011

Had a wonderful stay with Hannah and Paddy (and daughters) during my trek around the Slieve Bloom Way. Loved the history and appreciated the guided tour of the 'cellar' to see part of the original foundation. I do not stand on ceremony and much loved being treated as part of the family around the kitchen table for dinner St. Patrick's Day. What a wonderful memory I carried away from the Roundwood House and their gracious hosts.

Room Tip: Use Roundwood House web site
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank mplelf4ever
Dublin
Reviewed April 27, 2011

OK, this country house was built in 1730 so don't expect anything too glamorous. The hospitality and warm reception by the two hosts Hannah and Paddy more than make up for any shortcomings in the decor. The food was fabulous and it's lovely to relax in the drawing room in front of the real turf fire. I'm looking forward to my next visit already.

• Stayed April 2011
Dublin Ireland
Reviewed April 18, 2011

Assuming that you have seen all the hot spots in Ireland and you want an experience off the beaten track which is very special and different. Expect to pay less than a five star hotel, but have an experience vastly better than such a hotel. Perhaps we were lucky, as there were only ourselves and two more guests to share the exquisite evening meal at the communal dining table. Also sharing the after dinner chat in the lounge in front of a log and turf fire, while enjoying a second bottle of Merlot.
It reminded me of visiting my aunts house in west cork when I was young, although on a much grander scale. We felt like one of the family only after three days.
Do not miss the walking in the Sliabh Bloom mountains, and visit the sculpture park in the Booragh Bog.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 8, 2011

My new wife and I chose to host our very large (in my opinion) destination wedding at Roundwood House fairly early on in our engagement. As our engagement progressed, what initially started as a smaller affair ended with Patty & Hannah accommodating about 60 of our American friends and family as well as a substantial amount of my Irish relatives. Throughout the process, Patty & Hannah were so gracious and flexible.

I'm not a foodie by any means, however I can appreciate a chef's attention to flavors and complexity having been spoiled by all the culinary talent in Philadelphia. I have to say that the meals we ate at Roundwood House were the absolute, hands-down best meals I have eaten in the many times I've been to Ireland. Their beef bourguignon is the best I've ever had. They, in a natural and unforced manner, incorporated sustainable and organic food sources in every meal. They offered these cheeses from a local farmer that, frankly, were wonderful. Also, they offer these homemade chutneys that really added to the experience.

The food was just one small aspect of the overall experience; I highly recommend Roundwood House and I truly look forward to returning just as soon as is possible. My review is biased but a diverse group of travelers (many of whom were traveling to Ireland for the first time and this includes children) found comfort in sitting by a warm and inviting turf fire in the Drawing Room after a long flight. We drank, ate well, and laughed late into the night - every night!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank mdeangelo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 14, 2011

If you really want to experience Ireland, its people, the culture and the true beauty of the Irish countryside, look no further. Hannah & Paddy hosted our very large party for 7 days/6 nights. There was awesome breakfast to order every morning, delicious prepared group meals, and nonstop entertainment. Most impressive though, was the wedding reception they were able to pull off. Hosted in the gorgeous, rustic Long Room, these two and their amazing staff easily kept stomachs full and wine flowing for a wedding party of 60+.

By the end of the trip, we weren’t just saying goodbye to the country, but to a few new additions to our extended family. And Paddy plays a mean REM cover.

• Stayed March 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mountrath
Kinnitty Castle Hotel
The Killeshin Hotel
The Killeshin Hotel
#2 of 4 in Portlaoise
Bridge House Hotel, Spa and Leisure Club

Been to Roundwood House? Share your experiences!