“Loved every minute of it!”
Review of Cliff at Lyons

Cliff at Lyons
Ranked #1 of 4 Celbridge B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Whether for a wedding, a cookery demo, dinner, bed & breakfast or just coffee & a stroll on the canal bank The Village at Lyons ticks all the boxes. Thoroughly enjoyed our recent stay including cookery demo. Food was delicious, suite fab & everyone was friendly. Only wish we could be there more often!!!

• Stayed: March 2013

Reviewed April 5, 2013

We have stayed at VAL several times over the past 2 years - got married there 6 months ago - and it is by far our favourite venue for an over night stay in Ireland. I challenge anybody to find a more luxurious room to sleep in - furniture, beddng, Nespresso machine!The grounds are just lovely to walk around, great cosy bar and beautiful restaurant/food. Love the fact that there is no TV on site (except for the honeymoon suite) so you really get to appreciate the venue even more...Not too many places in Ireland with Hermes toiletries in the ensuites which I think sums up the venue. Have always found the staff professional and effiecient.

Room Tip: To be honest there are no bad rooms- each individually styled!
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I have just returned from a two-night stay at the Village at Lyons (30 & 31 March 2013) and overall the experience was great but a couple of bad encounters with some of the staff left us feeling that although the Village at Lyons is a great venue; some of the staff need training or retraining...

I booked a one-night stay through a promotion on the Village at Lyons Facebook page (€199 for a couple for one overnight stay, including a cookery demonstration at their Cookery School (reviewed separately) and dinner in the La Serre Restaurant (to be reviewed separately). Our stay was booked more than two-week before our arrival and I received a call from a member of the reservations team one week before my arrival to confirm my booking (this piece of information will become relevant later in this review).

We arrived on Easter Saturday (30 March 2013) and checked in (at the public bar in the Lyons Den) we felt this arrangement was unusual as our private business was made public. Of the two staff members that were present the Irish person at least took the time to welcome us while the other (person mumbled something on the phone to ask another member of staff to escort us to our room - I have more comments to make about this member of staff later in this review). We were informed that breakfast would be served between 10 and 11am the following morning. We were directed to the carpark to meet another member of staff who drove a golf buggy infront of to to the location of the suites. This person was cold, unfriendly and unwelcoming who basically opened the door to our suite without saying a single word to us.

It wasn't until we got settled into our room that we noticed an A5 flyer informing us of a 'Special Easter Offer'; the offer was an extra night for €60 per room for bed & breakfast. What we couldn't understand was why were we not informed of this offer either when we made the original booking or when we checked in!!! Luckily for us we had an understanding childminder who was prepared to look after our children for an extra night.

Check-in was at 3pm and the cookery demonstration started at 4pm. When we left our room to find the Cookery School I met the lady in the golf buggy showing another couple to their room and I asked her for directions. She pointed out the location of the Cookery School and moments later passed us (in her golf buggy) as we walked along the avenue and never offered us a lift.

Following the cookery demonstration we went back to our room to freshen up and get ready for dinner; our table was booked for 8:30pm. We went for a pre-dinner drink to the Lyons Den (there was one other couple and a party of about 8 people sitting in the Den). We were COMPLETELY ignored by the girl at reception who appeared to be much more preoccupied with her keyboard, rearranging chairs, clearing glasses and the logs on the open fire as she passed by us countless times as we waited for MORE THAN twenty minutes before our drink order was taken. This person is NOT front-of-house material.

Unfortunately some of these poorly trained staff members are ruining an otherwise great venue. Overall, we enjoyed our stay (including the extra night) but our poor experience with some of the staff left us disappointed. The Village at Lyons is a great venue; but some of the staff need radical training or retraining in BASIC customer services...

2  Thank GFPDUB
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Had a great stay in "lyons" - it was like something back in time - the buildings were fabulous and the attention to detail was second to none. The rooms were amazing - and the food was yummy. Will definitely go back again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We celebrated our wedding here and we could not have picked a better venue than Village at Lyons. The venue is quite simply, perfect.

The grounds are stunning, the venue is stunning, everything was stunning! The staff here are fantastic - they made planning the wedding so easy, nothing was a problem and everything ran smoothly on the day. This place has a real cosy, warm feel to it. The Mill room is fabulous for a wedding reception. The food is always incredible at Village at Lyons - both at our wedding and on the numerous other occasions we have eaten there. La Serre restaurant is a really lovely setting in the conservatory, it is just so relaxing.

The accommodation is five star - we stayed in Shackleton House and Shackleton Apartment and both are fabulous. The bathrooms even had Hermès products which were very nice :) I want to move into Shackleton House! It is so cute - a real, country-style old house, just divine. The rest of the accommodation is modern style and in a breath-taking setting down by the lake.

I can't say enough good things about Village at Lyons, it's the perfect venue to host a wedding, the restaurant is one of my favourite restaurants and the service is fantastic. My husband and I had the best day of our lives here.

I have yet to try the Cookery School, but I will at some stage!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I had the good fortune to spend a night here recently and boy, was I impressed ? The Village at Lyons is a series of beautifully and sympathetically restored historical buildings on the Lyons Demesne, which lucky for us is now home to a beautiful gourmet hideaway with accommodation.

Reception, dining room, bar and banquetting hall are all located at the Shackleton Mill. This is where you check in on arrival. (Dont bring your bags to reception, as the bedrooms are not in this building).

Our welcome to The Village at Lyons could have been cheerier and the lady at reception was a little cold and distant. There was a nice gentleman hovering around who seemed to have something to do with the V@L but he did not introduce himself so we shall never know. (Maybe he was just a very friendly guest !!)

Another lady then drove ahead of us in a golf buggy to our accommodation at the Mayor Suites. (There are a number of seperated accommodation buildings on the estate). This lady was not very nice at all, we were beginning to feel like lepers at a tea party. What is it with the ladies at V@L? C'mon ladies - chillax ;-))

Our room, The Grace Morrison suite made up for all the grumpiness the minute we entered. Beautifully appointed, with a lovely view over the miniature lake and fountain, and a fantastic bathroom. The room has closet space, a safe, fridge, tea/coffee making facilities and a radio. (Note: TV addicts, there is no TV in this room and I did not see a TV in any other part of the V@L either.). However, this did not bother us. There is a radio by the bed, but we could not get it to work during our stay. There is also WiFi, it's slow, but it's fine for email and minor surfing.

We spent our time at V@L attending a cookery demo (seperate review pending) and eating at Café la Serre (delicious, and seperate review has been published).

Sleep: My sleep was disturbed by a most annoying humming/buzzing noise and for this I had to put in my earplugs (which I hadn't expected to use at V@L). I tracked the noise down the following morning and found it to be coming from behind a door under the stairs. More about this later.

Breakfast: Was served in the conservatory between 10am and 11am. There was limited choice on the buffet table, but all in all, it was very delicious, and the food quality was top notch. Service was good, though, twice I had to go get the tea and coffee myself from the waiters 'hatch'. V@L should consider putting pots of tea/coffee on the tables so that diners can serve themselves.

Before breakfast I went for a walk along the banks of the Grand Canal. You get to this by walking out of the main gate, taking a left and then an immediate left again along the canal. This was a revelation. What a magnificent amenity. I walked as far as Ardclough village and back. Wonderful. A must do, when you are at V@L. Don't wear your best shoes though, as parts of the walk are a little muddy especially after rain. The track is perfect for walking, jogging, cycling and dare I say it, if you had a barge you could do that too ;-))

When checking out I was asked if I had enjoyed my stay. Delighted to report that the lady who had checked us in, had indeed chilled out and was much more pleasant. (Maybe she was glad to see the back of us - haha)
Anhoo, I told them that I had an outstanding stay but that I had one observation, and told her about my disturbed sleep in the Mayor suites. It turns out, that the suites have underfloor heating which require the use of a large transformer type energy source in the building. That was where the annoying humming sound was coming from. Investigation Closed.

I would return to the Village at Lyons in the morning, but I would be requesting a room as far from the 'hummer' as possible.

Loved it. You will too.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Philip R, General Manager at Cliff at Lyons, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Dear Bryno,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Village at Lyons. We are delighted to learn that you sampled most of what we have to offer including the Cookery Class DEMO and that in the main the experience was a positive one. The Canal walk/jog amenity is very popular with our leisure guests and the Cookery School demo has been very well received with excellent customer feedback. As always though there is room for improvement! Our brand new shiny receptionist had to step into the breach because our regular receptionist was laid up with the Flu and by the end of your stay, she had mastered the art of executing her tasks and remembering to SMILE :0)

Thanks for the heads up on the other pointers some of which are easily rectified and will be implemented although our resident Mrs Doyle (Tea/Coffee lady) will be a little disappointed!

Thanks once again for the review and hope to see you in the Village at Lyons soon.

Regards

Philip Rock

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Had Sunday lunch yesterday at the Village at Lyons and what a fantastic place it is. Booked in for 3pm for Sunday lunch which is served till 5pm, and we were promptly shown to our table, our waiter offered us a seat inside as he said the sun was quite strong in the conservatory, we decided since we don’t get sun too often we would chance it. The conservatory is beautifully decorated and then there was the food…What can I say it was fabulous I had the Chicken liver pate with toasted brioche and the sea food pie for mains. Sea food pie came accompanied with beautiful mussels on top (Yum). I couldnt fault anything about the Village. The location is on the banks of the grand canal, where you can go for a walk after your lunch I would highly recommend to friends and family, but im tempted to keep it a secret for myself!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cazziebear
Philip R, General Manager at Cliff at Lyons, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Hey, Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience in the Village at Lyons, customer feedback is always welcome. The Village is a magical place especially when the sun shines for sure and the La Serre Restaurant in the conservatory is certainly a different aspect from the norm. Our new head chef has been busy of late developing the new lunch & dinner menu which has been receiving very positive reviews since its recent launch.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Celbridge
Celbridge Manor Hotel
#2 of 151 in Dublin
The Court Yard Hotel
The Court Yard Hotel
#2 of 4 in Leixlip

Been to Cliff at Lyons? Share your experiences!