“Wedding day - aug 13 (additional information)”

Clanard Court Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Athy
Wicklow
“Wedding day - aug 13 (additional information)”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

My wife left a great review for our big day on the 24/8/13 but I asked her to leave this part to me. I just want to thank the manager on duty (Adam) who was so helpful and organised when it came to anything we needed. His professionalism and willingness to please was quite simply way above expectation. For example on one occasion my grooms man was placing his 6 year old child on a couch for a rest at 16.00 nothing too late, and Adam had a pillow under his head before the child had lay down . Personally I belive the little things like this are vital in making anyones stay excellent not just normal and at the Clanard they have these skills down to prefection.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Nerilie, Public Relations Manager at Clanard Court Hotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear Paul J

Thank you for taking the time to add your compliments to Donna's review!

Adam is certainly a valued member of our team and doesn't miss a beat when it comes to looking after guests attending a Wedding at the Hotel.

We believe it's the personal touch and the little things that make all the difference to our Wedding couples.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel again soon.

PR & Marketing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Navan, Ireland
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I recently got married in the Clanard Court Hotel, on the 24th of August. I could not speak higher of this hotel or the staff employed there. From owner, to manager, to barstaff, etc, every staff member was extremely helpful and genuinely nice. From start to finish, the staff were so professional, efficient and helpful. It really shows that the hotel is run by people who are passionate about it. Planning the wedding in the hotel was simple, Manager (Liam) and wedding co-ordinator (Nicola) were so helpful and organised everthing for us to perfection. I honestly could not thank them enough. Our wedding was over two days with everything catered for in the hotel. I was quite nervous the morning of the wedding (as a lot of brides are), however staff were constantly on hand to offer assistance which meant I could relax. The room for the ceremony was beautiful and the attention to detail was perfect. At the drinks reception my guests were amazed by the variety and quality of both the food and drink being served.The sit down meal was absolutely fabulous. All dietary requirements were catered for, including my dad who is coeliac, with no issues. Everyone we spoke to complimented the food and myself and my husband completely agree, it was perfect. We even stayed for a BBQ the next day with about 50 of our guests. It was organised and carried out to perfection, needless to say the food was great again :) The rooms were spotless and had everything we required. The bridal suite was stunning. All in all I would honestly give this hotel 10/10 and would recommend it to anyone. Two of my guests even told me they were going to renew their vows in the hotel. If you want a stress free day confident in knowing everything is organised, this hotel is perfect.

1 Thank Donna J
Dear Donna J

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of the Clanard Court Hotel on TripAdvisor.

Firstly, congratulations again on your Wedding! I'm absolutely delighted to hear that you enjoyed your celebrations with us. We love a Wedding day in the Hotel and strive to make sure that the couple and their guests have a wonderful celebration.

I will also pass on your compliments to Liam, Nicola and the rest of the function staff who looked after you over the weekend.

We look forward to welcoming you both back to the Hotel soon.

Cape Coral, Florida
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights. Tuesday-Thursday. Our initial impressions were good, impressive entrance and lobby. We were optimistic. The room was clean. The bathroom was lovely, and there was lots of hot water. However, the quilt was made out of cheap synthetic fibre, On our first night we ate dinner in the restaurant. Apart from my husband's soup the meal was very poor. I ordered a medium rare steak. Never have I eaten such dry tasteless steak - it was as if it had been cooked in a slow cooker. The service was very slow. On retiring to our room we smelt smoke in the room. Unfortunately the extractor fan in our bathroom draws in the smoke from the rooms were people are smoking. I went to breakfast at 9.00. It was a noisy. Lots of badly behaved children running around. I ordered poached egg and bacon. The poached eggs were inedible, they were so hard. There were no pastries left. Coffee has to be requested by the cup, tea is served in a pot. On the second day breakfast was excellent, the eggs were perfect and pastries were provided. The third breakfast was just as bad as the first, the poached egg was hard and the bacon was so dried out that it curled into a cigar shape. Out of our three evenings 2 were affected by the smell of smoke being drawn into the bathroom and I had 2 poor breakfasts. It is such a shame that Management do not have a grip on these issues. I would only recommend the hotel to smokers whose taste buds have been impaired. The staff were delightful but the problems can only be solved at Management Level.

1 Thank Cathy046
ClanardCourtMgmt, General Manager at Clanard Court Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear Cathy046,

I'm incredibly disappointed to hear that your stay was not as enjoyable as you had hoped - my absolute sincere apologies. We take great pride in providing a warm welcome in comfortable and friendly surroundings complimented by excellent food- therefore, it is most unsatisfactory that this was not your experience.

In relation to the smoke in your room, all guest rooms and inside public areas of the Hotel are non-smoking - you may have noticed the tent cards in your room highlighting this. We have a strict policy, however unfortunately there are some guests that choose to ignore this, but your experience has highlighted that this needs to be enforced with more vigour. In light of your comment, we have adjusted our procedures to include reminding all guests on check-in that there is no smoking permitted in the guest rooms and we will be exercising a zero tolerance approach. I have also brought it to the forefront of our management to increase their presence around bedroom floors to ensure the policy is fully complied with.

The one aspect of our Hotel that our guests compliment us on is the excellent and consistent standard of our food. Again, I apologise that your breakfast and dinner was not to your liking – what a pity I didn't meet with you during your stay as I would have investigated your experience and would have remedied the situation for you immediately. I am truly sorry that your grievances were not addressed during your stay, however I have spoken with our Duty Managers who expressed their shock at your comments. In particular, Suzanne who looked after you on Tuesday night acknowledged that the service was a little slower as the Bar & Brasserie were unusually busy for a Tuesday evening. However, she mentioned that she offered to get you a new steak cooked to your liking, but you declined

We certainly value feedback – both positive and negative – as it helps us to continually improve the standard of our service offering for our guests.

Thank you again for your comments and I hope that we can welcome you back to the Hotel so we can show you the true Clanard Court Hotel experience.

LIAM CORR
Portarlington, Laois, Ireland
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We had our wedding in the Clanard Court on the 6th July 2013, from the first day we went to see the hotel we were treated superbly.

We met the wedding coordinator (Claire) she took us through all the packages on offer and sweetened the deal with a few extras. Some other places we viewed, i got the feeling that the didn't take us seriously (we are young couple 26/27) or just didn't have the interest.

All the staff were a pleasure to deal with and all our questions and queries were dealt with promptly. Adam was looking after proceedings on the day and was very professional and kept things running smoothly.

The hotel is always spotless and everything we asked for on the day was delivered. The food was amazing and the wine was constantly topped up throughout the meal. The guests also loved the garden adjoining the function room and the goats and lamas were a great talking point.

Overall Julie and I are so happy we chose the Clanard Court it was absolutely perfect and we can't thank them enough. We are already looking forward to returning for our anniversary.

Note: Stage for top table can only accommodate 14 people, we had 15 (including the priest) so had to forego the stage but it was fine we didn't really mind.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Nerilie, Public Relations Manager at Clanard Court Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Bogger85,

Firstly, may I congratulate you and Julie again on your Wedding - all the team here at the Hotel were delighted to be looking after you and your guests on your special day.

I'm thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your celebrations with us as well as the whole planning process. We love guiding couples through such an exciting time and then see all the smiles on everyone's faces as they arrive and kick off the celebrations.

We wish you both a long and happy marriage and look forward to welcoming back on your first anniversary (if not before!).

dublin
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Stayed here while attending a wedding in the area, long dark corridors which smelled of cigarette smoke, it was 30"C outside but there was no air conditioning in the hotel, We arrived to our room to discover the windows wide open. Also no fridge in our room.We were woken up at 4:30am by revellers outside our window smoking and shouting, rang reception and it stopped for about 5 minutes.
Breakfast the following morning was average, there were kids running riot and the power went off twice while we were eating.
For what seems like a relatively new hotel it was very poor and lacked alot of basics and seemed to be just thrown up in a hurry to make money from people staying for weddings etc...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Fran3632
Nerilie, Public Relations Manager at Clanard Court Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Fran3632,

I am disappointed to hear that your stay was not as enjoyable as you had hoped. We have a no smoking policy at the Hotel, especially in our guest rooms, and a designated smoking area next to our function area. However there are times where some guests don't respect this policy and on these rare occasions our Housekeeping team do their best to freshen the room and remove all traces of cigarette smoke.

Our rooms do not have air-conditioning as 99% of the time it is not needed. However, we did have fans available during the warmer weather and could have provided you with one had you requested. This is also the case with fridges - we only have these permanently in our family suites, however they are available on request and we could have put one in your room.

I am sorry to hear about the noise outside your room and that this was not resolved. We have security on until the early hours on a weekend and it is rare that people would be outside the area where the guest rooms are - however, these guests would normally be asked to move if they were causing a disturbance to our other guests.

We are a family friendly Hotel and love welcoming families with children into the Hotel. We do ask parents to respect the enjoyment of our other guests and ensure their children don't encroach on them. You don't mention if you alerted this to staff, however, we could have moved you into our Bar area for breakfast which would have been more comfortable for you.

During the warm weather spell, there were power outages in the area - unfortunately this is something that is out of our control and on each occasion, after a couple of minutes our own generator kicks in to restore power - so the disruption to our guests is minimal.

Being a family owned and run Hotel, we feel the minimum that you should expect from us is superb food, friendly service and a good night's sleep. I'm sorry that this is not your experience with us, but I can assure you that this is not the usual experience of our guests.

I hope that you will consider visiting us again so we can show you the true Clanard Court hospitality.

Kind regards

Dublin
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I have never actually stayed in this hotel as it is only around the corner from my home but my parents use it regularly. They are particularly hard to please and have never objected to anything in this hotel. They even check the mattress first thing to see that it is clean! They only have light breakfasts and are always taken aback by the amount of food at the self service breakfast. They always dine here and are very fussy eaters. I have never heard a word of complaint.
I use it for meals, coffees etc. It can get slow sometimes if there is a wedding (and it is popular for weddings) but you expect that. The lobby is great. Very airy and spacious. Great place to have your coffee or drink.
It is on the outskirts of the town on the Dublin side but there is a Centra or foodstore in the petrol station down the road so you don't have far to go to buy anything or use the cash machine. The hotel is surrounded by fields too. If you want a change you can walk around the corner and use the pub across the road for variety.
I think there is a fitness centre but no pool or nightclub. They do great midweek deals I am told as well.

Room Tip: As it is off any main road all rooms are quiet. If you are worried about safetly but sleep with a wi...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Nerilie, Public Relations Manager at Clanard Court Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear SergiusT

I delighted to hear that your parents enjoy their visits to the Hotel when they are in town and that you yourself are part of our loyal local following. We strive to offer great food and value to our local customers.

I will correct you on one point - we don't actually have a leisure centre on site, however all of our staying guests receive complimentary access to the K Leisure Centre in Athy town - only 1.5km from the Hotel.

We look forward to seeing you and your parents here again.

Kildare, Ireland
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Just had to write these few lines in praise of the excellent experience I had at my brothers wedding on Friday July 19th at the Clanard Hotel. From the minute we arrived at the hotel the staff couldn't do enought for us. We had booked the family room and were very impressed with the size and general appearance of the room. The dinner itself was absolutely first class and the portions were very good, again the staff were very professional and made sure everything ran smoothly.All the guests were raving about the food aswell which is always a good sign!.After the dinner and the entertainment we were shown to the residents bar, where we spent another few hours before finally going to bed, very tired but very happy. Once again, thank you to the staff for making my brothers wedding such a memorable day- for all the right reasons and a special thanks to the Adam, the supervisor who made everything so easy for the bride and groom. I would have no hesitation in recommending the Clanard to anybody as their wedding venue. Well done to all involved, and I cant wait to return again. Mary Hopkins

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Nerilie, Public Relations Manager at Clanard Court Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Catherine H & Mary

I'm absolutely delighted to hear that you enjoyed your brother's wedding celebrations. There's nothing like a Wedding day in the Hotel - there is always a great buzz in the air and the whole team strives to make sure that the Bride & Groom and their very special guests have a wonderful night celebrating such a special occasion.

I will pass your compliments onto Adam and his team that look after you on the night.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel again soon.

Kindest regards

PR & Marketing
Also consider these accommodations in or near Athy
Killashee  - Hotel Spa Leisure
Kildare House Hotel
Kildare House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kildare
Westgrove Hotel and Conference Centre

Been to Clanard Court Hotel? Share your experiences!