“Quiet but enjoyable” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Athy
Clonakilty, Ireland
“Quiet but enjoyable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

My Wife and I spent 2 nights in this hotel and also eat in the bar for the two nights in question. There is a brasserie there but it was very quiet so we ate in the bar instead and the food was enjoyable.

The Hotel itself is a bit outside Athy so it would be advisable to stay sober and drive around before you return to the hotel. The following are the issues that we found with the hotel.

Positives:
1) Rooms were clean and modern.
2) Food in the Bar was very enjoyable and the rpices were reasonable. Tip: try the Bar Plate enough for 3 or 4 people for 12.50
3) As a smoker the smoking room at the back of the hotel is very much appreciated as the weather was not suitable for smoking outside.
4) Staff were very helpful and friendly. Arranged a golf club tee time with Athy Golf club and because of the weather arranged cancellation also.

Negatives:
1) The location was just a bit too far out of town to be in a position to walk.
2) Even though it was a school break week it was very quiet and there was no real activity in the hotel.

If you are the area you should visit the National Stud and Japenese Gardens in Kildare. It is about a 20-30 min car journey.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Nerilie, Public Relations Manager at Clanard Court Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear Keith K

Thank you for taking to the time to write a review of the Clanard Court Hotel in TripAdvisor.

It's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We believe that the very least you should expect from your stay at the Hotel is a clean and comfortable room, fantastic food and superb customer service.

Although we are located a mile out of Athy town, we are always happy to organise a taxi for guests wanting to go out in Athy town. Our location enables us to offer complimentary car parking and also facilitates easier access to the surrounding Kildare/Carlow/Wicklow attractions.

We hope to see you back here again soon. Perhaps, you'd enjoy staying over a weekend when we have live music in Bailey's Bar also.

PR & Marketing.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

Was here for a wedding, very well organised, great food, good room (of what I saw of it maybe an hour) :) .. Bar stayed open till late.. Nice setting. Overall great place for a wedding. Staff were very pleasant and helpful. Good smoking area outside too.

• Stayed February 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Nerilie, Public Relations Manager at Clanard Court Hotel, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear jackgarry,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the Clanard Court Hotel on TripAdvisor.

We're delighted that you enjoyed your visit to the Hotel. We pride ourselves on offering superb food and great service, so our team will be thrilled to hear that you experienced this first hand.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

PR & Marketing Manager
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

I would highly recommend this hotel for a wedding. Everything was handled very professionally and nothing was too much trouble. The food was excellent (I defy you to come away hungry), the layout of the function room was beautiful. The staff were very friendly and helpful.
It was mentioned by one of the guests (who travels the world) that the standard of the rooms was world class. The guests who stayed for 2/3 nights felt they were given a very good deal and the food in the restaurant was excellent.
Claire,the Wedding Planner was very amenable and flexible which made the day very special for the bridal couple. It is a day we will remember fondly and this is due in no small way to the staff at the Clanard Court. Many Thanks for a wonderful day!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ClanardCourtMgmt, General Manager at Clanard Court Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear tap1ireland,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of the Clanard Court Hotel.

It was a pleasure to host your son's wedding at the Hotel and we are delighted to hear that everyone enjoyed their stay.

We always hope to help create everlasting memories for the couples celebrating their wedding at the Hotel and believe that superb food and excellent customer service are central to this.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel soon.

Ardee, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

Was very nice hotel, staff were both friendly and efficient . Restaurant was a bit Glum and food was just average. Down side was leisure centre is not in hotel and you have to go to Athy Town to visit it. Very clean and tranquil . Would visit again but would eat some were else. Very shocked at the state of Athy, litter every-were and general mess far from a Heritage Town, Sad really it has a Lot of Potential with its lovely bridge and river. Why doesn't the shop owners just clean there front areas and was their windows for heavens Sake.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Nerilie, Public Relations Manager at Clanard Court Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear lara125

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the Clanard Court Hotel.

Our staff pride themselves on their friendly and efficient service and it's great to hear that you experience this. We believe that whilst staying at our Hotel the least you should expect is comfortable accommodation and great food, so it is disappointing that you didn't experience the superb food that we are known for.

Athy town is a lovely town with great waterside amenities for visitors. It has a very active Tidy Towns committee who would be very interested in your comments. I have passed on your comments to the Town Council and Tidy Towns committee, in the hope that they are taken on board as the town does have lots of potential and is generally viewed favourably by visitors.

I hope that we can welcome you back to the Hotel soon.

Marketing & PR Manager
staffordshire uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

my wife and I stayed at the hotel on the 11th ,12th september. we found the hotel very good. The food was lovely. What makes a hotel is its staff. The clanard court hotel staff were very friendly and wanted to make our stay enjoyable. we had had lovely time. Many thanks

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear cyril b,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the Clanard Court Hotel.

I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay and our team will be thrilled to hear your compliments on their service. We pride ourselves on our level of service, so it's great that you experienced it first hand.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel.

Arklow.Eire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

Stayed here a couple of weekends ago. I would liken it to Fawlty towers. The staff on reception were lovely, very welcoming, the room was also very nice. However the service in the bar and restaurant were to say the least very bad. Staff on the Saturday were very grumpy and unhelpful,
benefit of the doubt was given, but honestly Sunday was no better. I do wonder was it because of the groupon offer that the service was not as good as other people were receiving? Also as itis rated as a family hotel, why is there no play area or activities for children. No a return trip is not on the cards. Very disappointed

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Boo57Arklow
ClanardCourtMgmt, General Manager at Clanard Court Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Dear Boo57Arklow,

I acknowledge your recent stay at the Clanard Court Hotel and thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your review of our Hotel. I am always delighted to receive comments from our customers, complimentary or otherwise, as it is only by our guests letting us know their views, that we can maintain our high standards.

It is very important to me that our guests have a good experience throughout the entire hotel and I cannot offer any excuses to you if we failed to deliver superior service in the Bar and Restaurant. The least you should expect from a hotel such as ours is to be served in professional and efficient manner and I am really sorry that this was not the case, on this occasion. May I take this opportunity to apologise for any upset or inconvenience we may have caused you and I assure you that it is certainly not the norm here. I have spoken in length, this afterrnoon, with my team in the Bar and Restaurant and although, it may be of little comfort to you now, I am certain that no future guest will have to experience such a poor standard of service.

In relation to family activities, we do organize a couple of specific family friendly events each year including our upcoming Santa’s Magical Trail, which is a great event for children. However, we do not promote ourselves as a family hotel – rather a family-run hotel as the Hotel is owned and managed by the Fennin family. I apologise if this caused some confusion. We do take your comments on board regarding child facilities and are currently exploring the possibility of installing a small playground.

I hope to welcome you back to our Hotel in the near future and I look forward to meeting you personally so that I can extend you every courtesy.

kclo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

We stayed here last weekend, saturday & sunday night. the hotel itself is fab, clean, lovely layout. The receptionist was very nice and dealt with us swiftly. we were in a family room which overlooked a green area. the room was quite big with a large double & single bed and a double fold out sofa. the addition of a dvd/tv combo was great as was the fridge.

On our first night we went to eat in the bar area, we ordered our food but the waitress taking our order was a bit out of hand making faces etc when my hubbie asked for his steak medium rare, i thought that was a bit rude. The kids meals came out about 20 mins later along with my eldest daughters soup. We then waited and waited and waited for our main course, no sign, other people who had ordered after us were served but our food was no where to be seen. My mother who had come with us for the weekend decided to go to bed as it was so late, almost 10pm, the hunger had gone off her. After a couple of complaints the food came out, my eldest didnt eat hers as she was upset and wasnt hungry anymore. There was meant to be handcut chips with mine, never arrived, it was luke warm but i ate it because i was hungry. The manager apologised, we had 4 kids with us and i was quite annoyed - this is afterall a family hotel, and our meal was complimentary.
At breakfast the next morning the servers were , lets just say, not the happiest of people. Breakfast was fine but the dining room is quite small and tight!!
We ate the following night in the bar - to give it the benefit of the doubt - went down a little earlier and were served a bit better than the night before!!
The hotel reall would benefit from its own onsite pool - we didnt avail of the pool as onthe monday the weather was just too awful.
A nicehotel, some friendly staff, but neeeds more facilites for kids - even a couple of swings and a slide - as it is advertising itself as a family hotel

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank kclo
Dear kclo

Liam Corr
Also consider these accommodations in or near Athy
The Keadeen Hotel
Westgrove Hotel and Conference Centre
Kildare House Hotel
Kildare House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kildare

Been to Clanard Court Hotel? Share your experiences!