“beautiful pottery, great tea & cake”
Review of Penny's Pottery

Penny's Pottery
Ranked #5 of 8 things to do in Ventry
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We stopped by Penny's Pottery twice and bought some of her lovely blue mugs and had some delicious lemon drizzle cake in the cafe. This place is a must if you are driving through Ventry or just simply looking for some nice pottery. We visited quite a few potteries and found Penny's to be among the best!

1  Thank RosiRose
in 9 reviews
in 3 reviews
in 4 reviews

Reviewed June 28, 2013

The attached to the pottery place had the best homemade carrot cake! It was super moist and was just the right amount of sweetness. We had a cappuccino and a multivitamin drink also and they were both good too. We loved her pottery and bought a couple of mugs and would have bought more except that we didn't have enough room in our backpacks. Should definitely stop by if you're in the area!

1  Thank shanipie3
Reviewed May 12, 2013

A little bit of history as it were first: my first experience of Penny's Pottery was in Killarney in 1994 when Penny opened a shop for the summer season. It was probably an early pop-up shop so Penny and her family were ahead of their time! That summer I got a number of her name mugs in their lovely blue pattern to give to a German friend and her then boyfriend. Later I got one with my own name from a pop-up shop Penny had in Cork city for the Christmas 1997 period. Sadly this cup when missing from my then office and when I next visited Killarney there was no sign of Penny's shop.

On to the 00s and I finally found that Penny's Pottery was thriving in Ventry so on a recent visit, I decided to look for her shop there. I was not disappointed. It's a lovely blue and white and looks almost like a holiday home from a Tommy Hilfiger-type ad but nicer. Cath Kidston type bunting spelt out the name "Penny's Pottery" in the shop window and inside the displays contained a multitude of people's first names, from Aaron to Yvonne. If your name isn't on one of the many mugs displayed for sale, fear not. You can order it and it will be sent to you. Penny writes the lovely script on each of the mugs, which is a nice touch in our mass produced times. After I made a purchase of some cups I had to go somewhere else but I returned and this time after purchasing some more, I decided to have a coffee and cake. The cappuccino and lemon drizzle cake were gorgeous. The cake was really moist and lemony. The cafe is furnished with lots of benches with cushions and ther are murals on the walls about historical events in Kerry. I never knew that there was a Battle of Ventry until I saw one of these. There was no problem with my reading as I savoured my second cappuccino. A lovely place and a credit to Kerry.

1  Thank corkdee1