“Tom and Joan: THE NICEST PEOPLE IN IRELAND!”
Review of Garvey's Farmhouse

Garvey's Farmhouse
Springfield, Massachusetts
“Tom and Joan: THE NICEST PEOPLE IN IRELAND!”
Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

This was one of the best places I stayed in Ireland. I am here traveling for 3 months and have been to plenty of b&b's, but this one is one of my favorites. Tom and Joan are just the nicest people you've ever met. As soon as I met Joan I just wanted to hug her, she's so sweet and so easy to talk to and you feel like you could visit with her for hours and hear some great stories. Tom is equally welcoming and he showed me a bit about the farm and I got to watch the milking being done and everything. The rooms are warm and inviting, clean, and there are many different options for breakfast (which I loved because when you're traveling in Ireland for awhile you tend to get sick of the regular "full Irish breakfast" and variety is a welcome change). I stayed three nights right in Dingle and then three nights out at Garvey's because I knew I wouldn't be able to walk home from the pubs, as it is a bit far out. Their house is literally on the Slea Head Drive and there are some amazing walks right around them. The scenery is just stunning in this part of Ireland and it was very difficult to leave! I am so glad I found this place and I know I'll stay here again when I return to Ireland someday. Thank you Tom and Joan for everything!!!

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Alanna S

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Portland, Oregon, United States
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Joan and her husband really help make your visit to the Chorca Dhuibhne authentic and memorable. Joan is a whirlwind of fun and caters to everyone's needs with a smile. She is very knowledgeable of the area and great at hooking you up with different places to visit or folks to meet. The Garvey's houses is very attractive, well-furnished and feels truly an Irish cottage. The food is simply amazing, go ahead and try the mackerel! I've never eaten fish for breakfast but I definitely recommend it. We had a wonderful time. Thank you!

Room Tip: Top floor is best, better air.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Simcha1030
Linz, Austria
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We really enjoyed the time at Garvey´s Farmhouse, because we felt very welcome from the first moment. The Brakfast was, different to the other hotels we stayed, fresh and selfmade. Typically for a farmhouse the milk came freshly from the cows.
The rooms were very clean and warm and we felt just like home.
Joan, Tom and Monika did a very good job and we want to say Thank you for everything!
The Landscape was fantastic. We enjoyed the quick walk to the beach and the cliffs which were both near the farmhouse. We can also recommend the pubs and the restaurants in Dingle, which is only a stone's throw away from the farmhouse.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Darling1311
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We stayed at the Garvey's Farm House B&B, for two of the most wonderfully entertaining nights of all of our 13 night stay in Ireland. Each night after returning from our site seeing, Joan would meet us and be most welcoming and just delightful ! We'd gather in their front room, talk and share stories and I'd laugh hysterically. Joan, the proprietor is nothing less than hysterically funny, what a sense of humor! She is wonderfully warm, welcoming, full of energy and life. She was so engaging, insightful, intelligent and for me a "split a gut" funny. I loved everything about her.
She gave us the low down, on all the good places to see and visit, and two of the restuarants she suggested, The Skipper and The Goat Cafe were just delicious.
Thomas, her husband was extremely warm hearted, has beautiful Irish eyes, is hard working and passionate about his cows and dairy farming. Just ask him about it, it's amazing to say the least. All ages, would love to see his Dairy Farm and how it works. The family's history, the cows, and the farm are delightful. The bedrooms are good, clean and neat. Located only 5 minutes from downtown Dingle, it's an easy to find and easy drive. This farm house has a great view, it is very quiet and serene. It's perfectly located, to get to all the beautiful interesting sites around the Pennisula.
The breakfast was delicious, Full Irish! Monica and Joan did a fantastic job, great selection, and variety, including kippers. Plenty of hot coffee and FRESH milk of the day!
As an American, being of Irish decent, having never traveled to Ireland, and hearing alot of stories about the Irish... Yes, it IS true, the Irish are wonderful. They are intelligent, warm, inviting, extremely hard working, and funny as hell. Joan and Tom exemplify this. They are the people, I've always heard about, and our stay with them was just UNBELIEVABLE!
When we go back to Ireland, we will absolutely visit Joan and Thomas, and stay at their five (5) star attraction for fun, laughter, and the FULL ON IRISH experience!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Eugene
Reviewed June 19, 2012

My stay with Joan and Tom at their beautiful farmhouse B&B on the Dingle peninsula exceeded all of my expectations for an outdoor adventure amidst the historic gaelic environment of the west coast of Ireland. Joan and Tom are the perfect hosts who are eager to share their extensive knowledge of the area, and at the same time help their guests discover their own experiences and explorations. The farmhouse is lovely, roomy, and provides opportunities for privacy as well as comradery with other travelers. I highly recommend the Garvey Farmhouse B&B for a night's stay or several weeks. Thank you Joan and Tom for a wonderful vacation! Marilyn K.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Marilyn K
Cranston, Rhode Island
Reviewed November 9, 2011

I took a family vacation in August across Ireland. Garvey's Farmhouse was our second bed and breakfast and we stayed two nights. We had a lovely time! Joan and Tom were wonderful and quite accommodating. Joan really made you feel right at home. Breakfast was delicious and the views from the farm were beautiful. We also got to watch Tom milk the cows (which my husband especially loved). It was a great place to stay and I'd definitely recommend it.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank koral83
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed August 29, 2011

On a short driving holiday in the southern part of the Irish Republic, we hoped to meet some local people and get a feel for life in Ireland so we booked some B&Bs. No welcome could have been warmer than that we received from Joan and her husband on their dairy farm. The accommodation was very comfortable. The view from our upper floor room and the ensuite skylight which made it light and airy were our highlights. The location is excellent, right on the road to Slea Head and easy to find. There was an extensive breakfast menu and Joan was only too pleased to pass on lots of touring information. She has a great library regarding local places and history, which definitely added value to our touring. If ever we have opportunity to visit Ireland again, Garvey's is definitely on our itinerary.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gdtravelling
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ventry
Dingle Skellig Hotel
#1 of 8 in Ballyferriter
Killfountain Farm
Killfountain Farm
#58 of 75 in Dingle

Been to Garvey's Farmhouse? Share your experiences!