“Great Irish shopping”
Review of Standun Spiddal

Standun Spiddal
Ranked #2 of 6 things to do in Spiddal
More attraction details
Owner description: Standún is a unique family run store, situated in a traditional Connemara setting in the west of Ireland. The store is in it's 3rd Generation and has been in operation for over 60 years. There is a huge variety of Aran Sweaters, Irish products, Menswear, Ladies fashion, children's clothing, Irish and Internation gifts and homeware and a cafe with home baking.
Scranton, Pennsylvania
59 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Great Irish shopping”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

As part of our tour we had the opportunity to stop north of Galway at this unassuming looking shop. It was fun! First we had a presentation of the history of not only the store, the founder but also Irish woolens. The differences of wool and the patterns. I hope at least some of this was true. :=). There are pictures and shopping selection throughout the store. After spending 200 euros they shipped it back to the USA for free. As I waited for the others on the tour to finish they provided complementary Irish coffee. There is a full snack bar and other items for sale besides woolens. PS the ride along the coastal road has amazing views of this mostly undisturbed land.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank Wallyjoe

Frisco, Texas, United States
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Shopping Heaven!”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Oh my goodness! This was the mecca of stores. We spent almost 2 hours looking at all the goodies. It had everything I was looking to buy. I wanted a teapot and found just the right one along with the sugar bowl and cream pitcher. I found some beautiful Irish crystal wine glasses that were on sale. We bought lots of small gifts for Christmas presents. I kept looking at a Waterford bowl and had almost talked myself out of it when my precious husband said let's get it. There were gorgeous sweaters, scarves and other Irish woolen products. The most wonderful thing was after all of our purchases we got free shipping. This saved us a bundle. We appreciated the help and the complimentary hot tea and coffee. We really enjoyed our shopping experience. Can't wait for the mailman to bring me the goodies!

Visited October 2013
4 Thank Susan I
Dallas, Texas
72 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Just another store”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We had heard that this was 'the" place to buy things Irish but we found it to be just another store. It did have a fairly good collection of things but no great bargains. Unfortunately it is on the agenda of too many bus tours and can get crowded. We ended up in the store while one was there. On checking out I presented a coupon obtained from our B&B hostess. The clerk was gruff demanding where I had gotten it and was not happy about giving me the discount until she figured out I was not part of the tour. Not well done.

Visited May 2013
3 Thank Erin C
cliona s, Owner at Standun Spiddal, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Hi Eric

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and I'm sorry our store was busy at the time you arrived.

As we have the best value in Aran Sweaters, a lot of tours and local customers tend to shop here and sometimes the store can get busy particularly in the Summer months.

We appreciate your feedback and we are constantly striving to improve our store.

Thanks!

Cliona
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Perfect balance of traditional and modern”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

My grandparents have visited Standun many times in the past, as this store is famously known as the home of the aran sweater. Although I had little interest in aran sweaters, my grandparents insisted I'd visit the store while in Galway. I was pleasantly surprised to find a wide selection of giftware, books, jewellery and ladies fashion. As well there is a little coffee shop, and the kind sales assistant generously gave me a complimentary coffee after my purchases. I actually ended up purchasing an aran sweater, as there was a great selection of modern styles and colors. Overall the experience was very pleasant and relaxing. I met the friendly owner too and she is the third generation working there. This store is well worth a visit. Just give yourself enough time as there is a lot to see

Visited June 2013
2 Thank Kathleen T
Kanahooka, Australia
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Great Range”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

An impressive range of authentic Irish products at very competitive prices. Worth a visit for a pleasant shopping experience.

Visited July 2013