“Bad value and terrible Owner.”

An Cruiscin Lan Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Spiddal
Dublin
“Bad value and terrible Owner.”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We thought we struck it lucky when we booked over the phone as we got 2 double rooms (4 ppl) the weekend of the Red Bull cliff diving in Galway. (Inis MOr) we agree 120 as the price and it was payment on departure. I was happy with price as it was B&B rates. When i got to the "Hotel" i was even more grateful it wasn’t more than B&B rates as its noting more than a hostel over a pub. NO one on reception- you have to ask someone at the bar to check you in, by this they just give you a key and point to the stairs. The rooms were clean enough, very basic but again for the price i was thinking sure its grand. When we arrived we told the barman who gave us our room keys that we needed breakfast at 8 am as we were heading off early for the day. We were downstairs at 8 am the next morning and there wasn’t one person working. at 8.15 the chef walked in said he’d be putting something on soon. We obviously couldn’t wait and there was no one there to check us out so we left. I received a call later that day asking why i hadn’t paid i said there wasn’t an opportunity for me to and that i would on the way past that night. when i called in i was gutted to find out the owner hadn’t been clear on the phone it was 120 per room per night so my bill was to be 240 euro. For what was a hostel? I said we didn’t even get breakfast so he deducted 2.50 per person from the bill. given that I’d be reluctant to pay 120 per night in a nice place I was really unhappy with his charge. When I explained how price was miscommunicated and we never received anything that you would expect from a hotel such as a welcome, breakfast, porter on duty etc..A porter would be good as the place is over run with drunks at night. he said that’s how it is. There are other places to stay so I’d advise anyone to do this.

Room Tip: rooms at back have extractor fans outside them.. rooms at front are not double glazed so you can hea...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank AoifeG01

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Maynooth, Ireland
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I have visited here on two occasions, once in the Summer of 2002 for a wonderful meal when my grasp of the Irish language was less than impressive, and recently with my girlfriend for a few cold beers on a daytrip from Galway, when thankfully my Irish improved to the point where I was able to place orders and converse with locals without speaking a single word of English. A nice spot in a genuine Irish town, although a little touristy at times (it's sad to hear so many tourists from Dublin, Cork, even Galway City itself with so little respect for their own native langauge), An Cruiscin Lan is a great place for both proper beer, conversation in Irish, and great food too. Go raibh mile maith agaibh do gach ball foirne.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Wilmslow, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel many times over the past 10 or so years and it's always been up to expectations.
The food is very good and nicely served, and with attentive service as well. Sometimes a bit of a wait because I guess they cook it from fresh. Usual excellent Irish breakfast.
The bedrooms are smallish but well appointed and the en-suite bathrooms are clean and everything works when I've visited.
Spiddal is a nice village on the road out to Connemara and has many local attractions, craft industries etc. Two very good pubs across the road.
Yes, I'll stay again.

Room Tip: Room at the back are quieter, the road at the front can be a bit noisy.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank ludomcgurk
waterford ireland
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Called in for lunch and was not disapointed.great food,great value for money,lovely fresh food,and also the young girls working in the
bar and food area were a credit to hotel,very helpful cheery girls.thankyou

• Stayed July 2012
Kilkenny
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Dropped in here for a meal on my way through Spiddal. The menu was nice, simple food, and the waitress service was excellent, we were seen to straight away and drinks arrived quickly. The bar was busy but not packed, so over 45 minutes waiting for pasta, fish and chips and sandwiches is not really acceptable for essentially pub grub. The food when it eventually came was very nice, but the chefs need a kick in the backside to get the food out a bit quicker. I would not like to be in it when it was busy.
Also calling it a hotel is a bit of a stretch, it seems more of a B&B over a pub.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed May 31, 2012

If you want good food in a relaxed and friendly environment then this is the place to go.We were given a warm welcome and fed on 'honest to God'food.I had the chowder followed by steak sandwich and himself had goats cheese tartlet and fish and chips.Very reasonably priced too.We stayed on for the live music session and I can only report that we can't wait for our next visit to this hub of ceol agus craic.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Been reading some of the complaints about the establishment below and just don't get it. An Cruiscin Lan did not disappoint at all. It is an affordable B&B type hotel with a solid restaurant and bar below. The best asset? You couldn't ask for better proximity to Tigh Hughes or An Tobar - Spiddal's two brilliant music pubs.

As for the service, my girlfriend and I did not have a complaint in the world. Brian and his Manchester United tattoo were especially memorable. It's clear the joint is run by a small staff but they're attentive and personable.

If you're looking for luxury accommodation just head down the road to Galway and take your pick. If you're looking for a cool hotel in one of the country's coolest towns, stay here.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jeff h
Also consider these accommodations in or near Spiddal
The Twelve Hotel
#5 of 45 in Galway
Radharc Arainn B&B
Radharc Arainn B&B
#7 of 14 in Spiddal

Been to An Cruiscin Lan Hotel? Share your experiences!