“Family day out.”

Burren Nature Sanctuary & Cafe
Ranked #2 of 10 things to do in Kinvara
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Set on a 50 acre organic farm, Burren Nature Sanctuary is a nature lovers paradise and a wonderful introduction to the magical Burren landscape, flora and fauna. The mile-long nature trail meanders through Burren habitats of karst limestone, ancient hazel and ash woodland and the organic wild flower meadow, home to majority of Ireland's butterflies. Stroll through the hedgerows of native Irish trees lining he ancient green road (boreen) in the footsteps of our ancestors who once led their their animals to the rare tidal disappearing lake (turlough). Visit the Botany Bubble which houses the National Collection of Burren flora where seasonal Alpine, Mediterranean, Arctic and tropical plants grow alongside native Irish wildflowers. Meet Cookie the donkey and Frisky the feral Burren mountain goat. Relax in the Sanctuary Café and Waterfall Tea Garden enjoy fresh, local, seasonal food, good coffee, healthy children's menu: no fizz, no fry, hidden vegetables!
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Activities for older children
Galway, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Family day out.”
Reviewed July 4, 2014

Bringing my nephew, his wife and five children aged between 4 and 12 to the sanctuary for the first time was a great experience. Straight away the children started playing indoors. After about an hour they went outdoors. The zip line was very popular. So was the sand. Their mother, from Texas commented that it was a real treat to be able to enjoy an excellent, healthy lunch in peace while the children played happily within sight. Then the children ate and enjoyed the good food. After that it was time to take a walk, feed the beautiful animals, search for the hidden clues, photograph the fairies houses and return to the shop. They definitely intend returning next year when they come over from the USA for their annual holiday.

Visited July 2014
Mary B, Manager at Burren Nature Sanctuary & Cafe, responded to this review, July 5, 2014
What a lovely and detailed review thank you so much for taking the time to write it

Dublin, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“My kids loved it and so did I!”
Reviewed June 25, 2014

This place is a fantastic day out for families with young children. My 7, 6 and 4 year olds had a really great day here. It was raining heavily for most of the time that we were there and I was disappointed as I thought we wouldn't get to the playground and nature trail. I needn't have worried - the indoor play place and storyboards were enough to keep them amused for ages. They easily got playing with other children also. The café has gorgeous cakes and salads and the seating is just beside the play place - my friend and I were perfectly happy to chat away with the children occupied just beside us. The menu doesn't feature chips or nuggets at all - what a relief! Mainly pasta combinations and children happy with that too.

When the rain cleared, we got out to the playground - fully secure and large. Good for older children as well as the little ones. My son loved the sandpit and construction toys! Then we headed on the nature trail - about a 1k easy enough walk but with lots to see and think about. Nice story panels gave it a bit of focus. My daughters especially love the faerie wood - Tinkerbell's house right there in front of us!

We spent 4.5 hours and only left as we had to be somewhere else. Totally relaxing and stress-free for parents - totally absorbing for the children. The best part was that there was no time restriction and we could have left and come back again the same day! I get annoyed with indoor play places that cost me over €20 for an hour and a half, just to get in and then shout out my number to get out of the place! Burren Nature Sanctuary has a different philosophy and we really appreciated that.

I do know this place through business but this review is purely personal. Heartily recommend it.

Visited May 2014
Thank you for the great review it really brightens up the day for staff
Galway
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Can't recommend this place enough”
Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

Was recently at birthday party it was a great experience I was sorry I hadn't heard about it before as my oldest almost too old to go. My son hurt himself (minor) while we were there the staff were so helpful and caring. The staff serving were excellent and the food was really nice. It was a very relaxing place for parents, can't recommend it highly enough.

Visited June 2014
Mary B, Manager at Burren Nature Sanctuary & Cafe, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Thank you for your feedback it makes all the hard work worthwhile
Galway, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Well worth a visit”
Reviewed May 27, 2014

I would highly recommend the Burren Nature Sanctuary for families with young children. very impressive indoor and outdoor play areas. The whole place is very clean and bright (not always the case in some indoor kids play areas). Feeding the animals was a highlight and our 3yr old is still telling people about feeding the goats.

Visited May 2014
Thank you very much we appreciate the vote of confidence
Derry, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Fun day”
Reviewed May 11, 2014

Good value and great fun. Would strongly recommend. Worth a visit if you have kids. Bit difficult to find.