“Gentian”

Ranked #3 of 17 Restaurants in Kinvara
Cuisines: Contemporary, Cafe, Wine Bar
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Our 'Gentian @ St Georges' is a brasserie with a twist: serving dishes to share with robust, sunny flavours, typically from a contemporary Irish, European palette with good old comfort food thrown in, The Gentian's ethos is one of quality, innovation, freshness and abundance with comfort and friendliness thrown in. Our coffee already has a reputation.....We will be looking after you all day, with substantial breakfast, lunch and dinner menus.The setting is informal with local stone and splashes of colour; Burren and south Galway, blended with funky london, has a relaxed cosy, curl up feel, with windows looking out over the Kinvara bay - colour and comfort, space for reading chatting, meeting up or getting way from it all.
Reviewed July 22, 2013

The food is great, the girls who work there are lovely, the service is great, and the price range is very fair. The atmosphere is friendly. Presentation is very good. Repeat customer, local, and I make a trip in there at least once a week. If it wasnt any good, I wouldnt go in there. BUT, it's fantastic, and one of my favourite places to eat.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

I have visited the cafe on many occasions often for just a coffee, always exceptional, great coffee and great selection of cakes. My favorite is definately the fresh scones.!! Last week i popped in for lunch and had the delicious Thai green curry, I did have to wait as all food is prepared freshly but it was well worth the wait.
Today i called in for breakfast with a friend and had the Badoir Beag which includes tea and toast it was very tasty and good value. I will be back again.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

Although we only stopped in for a drink, we liked the light airy feel of this cafe and it's friendly staff. Cannot comment on food, as didn't eat, but free wifi was very welcome, as were the reasonable prices.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

Friendly staff and pretty fast service
food a bit tired and inconsistent in appearance also tasteless.
dirty and crusty menus
Bright and clean
WIFI
clean bathrooms

6  Thank sapodilla12
TheGentian, Owner at The Gentian Cafe and Wine Bar, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Delicious, Fresh, Tasty are words that are often used to describe food at the Gentian. Next time you are in, let us know if something is not working for you and we will sort it on the day. Many thanks Caitriona

Reviewed June 13, 2013

This place is seriously lacking in leadership and cohesion. Nobody seems to know what the other is doing.

1- arrive for lunch at ten to 1 for lunch. Specials board outside say available from 12.30. Howevere waitress tells us it's not lunchtime yet so you must order off breakfast menu. Ok. We both order off that.

2 - 20 minutes pass. Waitress arrives at our table. The chef says he won't cook your order. It's lunch time now, not breakfast time!! No apology no nothing.

3 order again. Wait 40 minutes for our food.

4- food is only ok.

5- they won't accept my laser card as payment. Have to head off into town looking for an ATM. No apology for delay or inconvenience.

6- silliest thing is, the lunch order for me was a mixed grill, which is almost exactly what I ordered for breakfast!! All they had to do was cook an egg and some toast!!

Terrible way to run a restaurant. Chef seems to put himself above the customers. Very unpleasant attitude by waitress. Spoiled our day in kinvara.

8  Thank Kieran C

My Team and I send apologies for the delay and confusion you experienced - we hope you will find a big improvement when you are next in. We value constructive feedback. Kind regards
Caitriona