“Visit the place is a MUST!”

Roundstone Music & Crafts
More attraction details
Owner description: Roundstone Music & Craft - within the walls of an old Franciscan Monastery ( 1845) in the quaint fishing village of Roundstone.Connemara Here you can see Ireland's oldest craft - Bodhran making. The Bodhran or Irish Drum is probably Ireland's oldest musical instrument - The Pulse of Irish Music - and this ancient craft is carried on at Roundstone Music. Regular Talks and demonstrations are given about this famous instrument. Pls book IN advance E 7.50 Per PERSON .. "TALK" by Malachy Kearns e mail bookings please .. PREFERABLY min 8 people (or E 60.00 TOTAL Charge for small group) ., Open 7 days 11.00 am to 6 pm ... OPEN 6 Days in winter ( closed sun ) open 10.15am July/ Aug
Reviewed August 31, 2013

No matter for what reasons you visit Roundstone Music & Crafts , just to spend a few minutes chat with Malachy is worth the trip. Malachy is like an open book of culture and full of adventures he can tell you..The site it self is a combination of a shop,outlet,coffee shop and of course the the artisan craftsmanship gallery of the Master Bodhran Maker Malachy him self.
There is also a 10 minutes Video in the store telling the story of Malachy and the making of the Bodhran.
There is plenty of original Irish items on sale and the prices are reasonable as well. I respected Malachy's request and did not take pictures, so none added here.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

This is a bohdran workshop, where you can choose a beginner's drum or have one made to measure. I bought a beginner's and have enjoyed my first lessons via YouTube. They also sell other musical instruments and items made in Ireland, crafts, clothes, etc. The bohdran maker's wife was charming and helpful and gave us a little lesson on the bohdran. We All had a great giggle as my daughter and I moved too much while playing, and couldn't quite get the hang of the wrist movement.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

We absolutely loved this fantastic shop and friendly and funny owners Malachy and Gifty Kearns! Malachy took us into the workshop and explained a bit about his craft (about which there is more in the video that runs in a corner just on the other side of the workshop). Gifty also explained about the bodhrans themselves and the various designs on them, helped us select one for one son and the right type of penny or tin whistle for the other. And now for the truly above-and-beyond part: When we discovered a flat tire as were about to leave and went back inside to ask about any service stations in the area, Malachy came out to the car to have a look himself and make recommendations; then, because we'd have had to either backtrack and/or pay a premium for Bank Holiday service, he went back in and came out with a can of tire-repair whatever-it-was, showed my husband how to use it helped him with it, and gave me a free cup of coffee - plus hilarious commentary - while I waited for completion of the process. THEN he wrote his cell number on the back of a shop biz card and told us to call him if we needed any help later from the road. (Told us the stuff would hold for 600 miles and, indeed, we made it all the way from Roundstone to Ballyvaughan to Dingle to Dublin over the next four days, no problemo!)
Great shop, great experience, great people!

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Went to visit the Music shop while in Connemara and wasnt disappointed. Good selection of Irish traditional musical instruments, particularly bodhrans made on the premises by one of the foremost makers in all of Ireland. Also good selection of Tutor material on how to start playing the instruments and a good CD section, also gifts etc. Plenty of parking outside.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

I stopped briefly during a bicycle touring group visit in Roundstone. It is more of a "gift shop" than a visitor or informational stop. They have alot of nice gifts, but I wished there was more info presented about the musical instruments, how they are made and used, the history, etc. I didn't really learn anything and I'm not sure I would recommend stopping here unless you are seeking gifts (which are pretty abundant throughout Ireland!) Maybe they offer some kind of presentation or explanation that is only offered at certain times and I just missed ?

2  Thank Joanne A