“perfect Irish pub”

Ranked #1 of 10 Restaurants in Roundstone
Cuisines: Seafood, Gastropub
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: O'Dowds is a traditional Bar & Seafood Restaurant situated in the centre of Roundstone village overlooking the harbour. It has been run by the O'Dowd family for four generations since 1906. A bar has been operating on the premises since 1840 and it is widely regarded as the oldest pub in Connemara. It is now famous for its excellent fresh local seafood and it has one of the best pints of guinness in the locality. You can also taste some excellent irish craft beers like: The Galway Hooker, O'Hara's Irish Stout & O'Hara's light Ale.O'Dowds is open from 10am every day all year, serving breakfast until 12 noon, a bar menu is served from noon to 9.30pm every day. Fresh seafood include our own Home-made Seafood Chowder, Roundstone Crab Claws, Cashel Bay Mussels, Mannin Bay Oysters, Local Lobster and our very popular Fisherman's Platter, all accompanied with home-made brown scones. Chicken, Meat, Vegetarian, Soups S Sandwiches are also well catered for. Reservations in our restaurant are advisable during July & August & Bank Holiday weekends.O'Dowds has a special traditional pub atmosphere & friendly service which has remained unchanged for decades if not centuries. The bar is small & intimate with its traditional turf fire & beautiful views over Roundstone Harbour & The Twelve Bens.
Siesta Key, Florida
“perfect Irish pub”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Stopped here for lunch. Excellent fish and great spot right across from the harbor. Good spot for exploring the town of Roundstone.

Dublin, Ireland
“lovely irish pub”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

very tasty chowder and a good sized, fresh fish. First time tried a local beer "galway hooker" and I love it.

Visited September 2013
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
“A great lunch experience!”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

My wife and I had lunch here on Sept. 4 while we toured the area from our base in Ballyconneely. It was our first time here and we loved the atmosphere. My wife noticed that O’Dowds was shown in The Matchmaker film [1997] that is one of our favorites.
We really had a light lunch- I had the chowder and my wife had a bowl of vegetable soup- and a brown scone- and we split a starter of grilled oysters, along with a pint each, of course! While the veggie soup was good, the chowder was excellent, with huge pieces of fish and seafood in it. The grilled oysters were also great. My wife pointed out that there was chopped parsley on the lemon slices so when you squeezed the lemon onto the oysters, you got the lemon and parsley flavors at the same time! The bill for our dinner, including two pints, was 30.75 Euro.
I would recommend O’Dowds for lunch. I’d like to try it again for dinner if we ever make it back to that part of Ireland again!

Dublin, Ireland
“Going down hill”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

First of all I'm basing this review on the quality and value for money of the food. Aesthetically the bar is quaint and the Guinness is good so if you are looking for a place for a few pints in Roundstone of an evening, you could do worse than O'Dowds.

I think the first time I was there was about 1994 when I was in my early 20's and it made a positive impression that stayed with me. It's a place which fames itself on its chowder and it has become somewhat of an annual ritual for myself and the wife to pop into this place for some grub every year we venture down to Connemara. Unfortunately, I've noticed a bit of a steady decline in the food over the past few years.

This year my sister was in tow and between the three of us we manage to spend almost €90 on starter portions of chowder, crab claws and stuffed oysters. There was also a sandwich ordered, a pint of guinness, two soft drinks, 3 desserts and 3 coffees. So that's nearly €30 a head on starters, drinks, desserts and coffee and a sandwich thrown in for good measure. Not good value for money in my book.

To be honest, I could live with the cost if the food was good, but alas it wasn't. The chowder which I ordered is not as it used to be. It consisted of three pieces of fish floating in a rather pedestrian broth. My sister ordered the crab claws and what the butter lacked in garlic flavour, it certainly made up for it with copious amounts of thyme! The exact same butter was used in the stuffed oysters. We could taste neither crab nor oyster, only thyme.

Now I accept that some shell fish can be served in garlic thyme butter (although to be fair I had to look that up as I never came across it a restaurant) but I for one am of the view that they make strange bedfellows. The thyme was overpowering and between myself and the sis, we had that taste in our mouths all day and all evening. It's not that I want to criticise for the sake of it or to dictate what should or should not be on a menu but in my view if a menu says " ..served with garlic butter", it should be garlic, butter, possibly parsley for garnish, a wedge of lemon and leave it at that. No complaints on the sandwich and the desserts were ok.

The waiting staff are pleasant and on the ball.

I don't know if things are going to improve there. It maybe the case that they are coasting on the reputation they have had for such a long time. If I hear things get better from our friends who also go down that part of the country, we will be back. I fear we will be staying away for the foreseeable future however.

1 Thank Hilt683
Belfast, United Kingdom
“just ok”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Everyone raves about odowds for food but I had a few meals here last year and this year and was not very impressed. I have had meals in vaughans and the standard and quality surpassed odowds. It is nice for a drink. The toillets on my visit this year were very dirty?. I was not impressed at all

Visited September 2013