“best scallops ever”

O'Dowds of Roundstone
Ranked #1 of 10 Restaurants in Roundstone
Cuisines: Irish, Bar, Seafood, European, Pub, Soups, Gastropub
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Kids, Scenic view, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: O'Dowds is a traditional Bar & Seafood Restaurant situated in the centre of Roundstone village overlooking the harbour. It has been run by the O'Dowd family for four generations since 1906. A bar has been operating on the premises since 1840 and it is widely regarded as the oldest pub in Connemara. It is now famous for its excellent fresh local seafood and it has one of the best pints of guinness in the locality. You can also taste some excellent irish craft beers like: The Galway Hooker, O'Hara's Irish Stout & O'Hara's light Ale.O'Dowds is open from 10am every day all year, serving breakfast until 12 noon, a bar menu is served from noon to 9.30pm every day. Fresh seafood include our own Home-made Seafood Chowder, Roundstone Crab Claws, Cashel Bay Mussels, Mannin Bay Oysters, Local Lobster and our very popular Fisherman's Platter, all accompanied with home-made brown scones. Chicken, Meat, Vegetarian, Soups S Sandwiches are also well catered for. Reservations in our restaurant are advisable during July & August & Bank Holiday weekends.O'Dowds has a special traditional pub atmosphere & friendly service which has remained unchanged for decades if not centuries. The bar is small & intimate with its traditional turf fire & beautiful views over Roundstone Harbour & The Twelve Bens.
Rockledge, Florida
“best scallops ever”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We stopped here for dinner while touring the Connemara loop. First off, the town is wonderful. We happened to get here during the Regatta and it was so much fun. We stopped for dinner in this restaurant, and my very picky husband said that it was the best scallops that he had ever eaten! That is high praise from him. I ordered salmon and it was also delicious.

Orange Beach, Alabama
“Great Seafood”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

O'Dowd's is a bustling gastropub. We had to wait a little while, even though I had made a reservation. I would strongly recommend reservations. The crab claws are not to be missed. I had the seafood platter which was very good and filling. Roundstone was one of the nicest towns we visited on our cycling tour.

1 Thank James S
Dungannon, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
“The Best Sea Food in Galway.”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I searched out this place on the internet about a month ago, I was looking for a restaurant close to the sea that served sea food as it's main dish. Once I'd found this place I booked it well in advance. We took the five hour journey on the day of our booking, long but nice in the warm sunshine which reached at its best 32 degrees, with the top down on the car we made sure we benefited from the glorious weather. After getting ourselves sorted at thr B&B we took the short journey to Roundstone. There was a boat regatta ongoing as we arrived and the town was packed with participants and sightseers. The restaurant itself was busy, our table was secured and we were looked after by the staff, who were rushed of their feet but were always pleasant, the other diners appeared to enjoy their meals as we did, I chose the Sea Food Platter as the main course, I was not disappointed, the large plate was filled with, crab claws, oysters, prawns mussels and much more, I fought my way through it and enjoyed every morsel, a meal well worth the trip. The starters were very filling, I took the mussels in batter and covered in garlic, my good lady had langoustines, the biggest I've ever seen, they were hot and covered in garlic butter. All finished off with a glass or two white wine. We will be back again sometime soon.

Salisbury, United Kingdom
“Best ever!”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We spent most of our evenings in this bar/restaurant. The food was lovely and fresh, the staff so helpful and friendly and the value was outstanding. I will return to Roundstone just to come here again!

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Hol_Emman
Belgium
“Hadn't a clue what they were doing...”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Ate in this bar a number of years ago and found the food very good. Was on a day trip to Connemara yesterday and decided to come back by Roundstone specifically to eat here again. They were very busy, it was Sunday and the sun was shining. Think there might have been a local pony show on also. No tables available when we arrived but he said he would have one at 6.30. I asked for one in the bar and he said he would see what he would do. We got back at 6.30 and no table available. The bar is not big and there were different customers there from when i had previously been there so he could have reserved a table for us. He said it would be ready at 6.45 so we sat at the bar and had a drink. Eventually he said our table was ready and he brought us to the restaurant side of the building, actually it is more like sitting in someone's private house, no atmosphere, harried waitresses, crying kids, customers complaining..... checked out the menu, it is pricy. Eventually gave up and left. Doubt i will be returning.

3 Thank Maura-Irish