“Cannot say enough good things”

Renvyle House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Renvyle
Reviewed August 23, 2013

If you want the best possible experience of Irish hotel hospitality come here. The quality of the experience is simply exceptional. Added to the most beautiful location surrounded by mountains, lake and sea you have the most wonderful staff and excellent cuisine imaginable. I come here a number of times each year and on each occasion I find a quality of service that is unequalled elsewhere.

The hotel itself is a beautiful piece of Irish history, a privileged bonus. If you are into fishing, golfing, biking, this is the place. The new boiler means that the outdoor swimming pool is heated beyond expectations. It is no wonder that the hotel is mostly booked out. The breakfasts are to die for, with fresh plaice or kippers on offer along with the usual Irish breakfast.

Certainly Mongthe very best of hotels I have stayed in anywhere.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Renvyle House Hotel

Reviewed August 15, 2013

I spent a couple of nights in Renvyle over the August Bank Holiday weekend with my husband and 2 kids aged 12 & 13 we had a wonderful time,could'nt praise the staff enough, lovely clean room all the facilities were very near and the food was amazing,the only thing i was disappointed with was that my stay was too short but i will rectify that next year

Joan

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Having had Renvyle House Hotel recommended I decided to check out this hitherto unknown establishment (unknown to me although it has been around for circa 150 years) on Trip Adviser. As is my curious practice I opt to read the poor reviews first. Let me assure travellers that after my 3 days at Renvyle in early August, I did not experience any evidence whatsoever of poor service, uncleanliness or indeed any of the other criticisms levelled by previous reviewers.

This property has oodles of Olde Worlde charm, indeed it is a selling point. Normally I wouldn't be into the Olde Worlde type of thing but Renvyle does it very well. The property has not really changed over the years which includes the 'Old Style' personal service. It is absolutely lovely to have a very good quality breakfast served to one's table (some 4* and 5* properties take note).

The gastronomic experience in the dining room at night is excellent. The food is absolutely first class.

This is a traditionally run, family orientated hotel and whilst it is very remote there is loads to do; walking, cycling, golf (par 3 course), swimming (outdoor heated pool), croquet, bowls, shooting, fishing, rowing etc. etc. As it happens, apart from a few dips in the pool, I did very little apart from relax in the idyllic albeit quirky surroundings.

One antidote I would share ... On one of the evenings during my stay I saw a father attempt to send his children to bed. He told them that it was 10.20pm and past their bedtime. The response from one child was ' ... Maybe so ... but not in Renvyle time'.

It should be noted that this is not a 'modern' hotel property. There is neither air conditioning nor WiFi in the rooms. There is however complimentary WiFi in the reception area.

A point to note is that in good weather the rooms on the second floor can become very warm. We booked very late and accordingly were allocated a second floor room. The room was small, although totally acceptable but the temperature did become a little overbearing. Without any complaint on our part; we simply mentioned that the room was very warm; we were moved to another room for the 2nd & 3rd night of our stay. I would recommend therefore that when booking one should request a room on either the ground floor or first floor if available.

I have read that this is a 3* hotel which I find odd. I have stayed in many 4* hotels in which the service and facilities were sub-standard. OK the Renvyle is not modern, it is not plastered with shiney fitments and modern bathroom suites, it has no lift, but so what? It has wonderful quirky charm and is extremely welcoming.

The tariff at the Renvyle is not cheap - whilst they do not have a forth star they are happy to charge 4* + room rate. This would be the only negative point I would make. However it should be noted that all activities mentioned above (save for a nominal charge for the clay pigeon shooting) appear to be free to residents. Also the lunch time fare & bar prices are reasonable, not vastly inflated as one finds in hotels from time to time.

The staff at this hotel clearly work as a team and a very good one at that. The General Manager (I do hope I have afforded him his proper title!), Ronnie, was never far away and interacted with residents ensuring satisfaction and attending to their comments whether good, bad or indifferent.

Would I recommend this hotel or stay here again? Simple answer - we secured another booking before we left!

Off particular note I would compliment James (waiter/porter), Antonia (waitress), Philip (Maître d'hôtel), and Kieth (Barman).

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Rumpole-808
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We had always heard a lot of positive feedback about Renvyle House in Galway and eventually had the opportunity to stay for 2 nights on the May Bank Holiday weekend. The minute you arrive, you immediately get a sense of returning home or to somewhere familiar. The entrance has large comfy sofas and chairs with an open fire and is immediately welcoming. Staff are genuinely friendly and can't do enough to help you enjoy your stay and they take the time to have a conversation. The highlight has to be the food however - truly amazing! If you want to experience great Irish food, hospitality and recharge your batteries at the same time then look no further than Renvyle House. We hope to return again in the not so distant future...

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

First the pluses.
The food at this hotel is top notch.
The overall service was great.
The Kids Club however was a big letdown and spoilt our stay. On trips away we only ever use Kids Clubs for a little free time and evening meals. The kids are off with us most days.
Compared to the Hudson Bay
( we stayed there earlier this year) this service is abysmal.
Why?
Let me explain.
Hudson Bay:
You bring your kids up to the club and sign them in. The club's entrance door is security locked and staff buzz you in. They also take your mobile no. just in case. Almost immediately staff engage your kids and get them involved with other kids in activities.
We were able to go for a relaxing evening meal each night knowing our kids were safe and happy. On the morning we checked out our kids didn't want to leave and wanted to go back to the club.
At the Renvyle "The Kid's Club" is situated in a room beside the dining room. Kids aren't signed in. They just seemed to come and go as they pleased. No phone numbers are asked for and the staff engage very little with the children. They seemed more like waitresses than Kids Club staff. The TV has movies playing all day. Our kids are good mixers and made friends. Our youngest (4y.o.) however made the most of the open door policy and would wander in and out. She would come into us during our evening meal, we would bring her back to club and so on.
We checked in on her on our second nights meal only to find her on her way out of the hotel. As there is an outdoor swimming pool there clearly is an accident here waiting to happen.
As I said earlier we are not into shoving our kids into a club all day long. We only look for a little free and our evening meal. It was hard for us to relax with the way this Kids Club is set up.
On the morning of check out I relayed my disappointment with above to the receptionist and told her about my wandering four year old.
She was indifferent.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank Barry J O
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We recently spent 3 nights here on the strong advice of an Irish friend. Our impression was that it was a hotel that time had left behind in the 1940s.This could be endearing except for the expensive room price. Lamp shades were tilting at an angle in all the public rooms, not to provide more light, as I originally thought, but because they were broken. The furnishings and carpets were threadbare. Our room in the attic was large with a lovely view but unfortunately hot in the unexpected 33 degree weather. The person at reception commiserated with us but did not offer a fan until we eventually requested one. The bathroom fittings appear to be original to the house. The shabbiness could be overlooked but it was the dead flies piled in the corners of the dining room windowsills [beside the window tables] that seemed over the top. This was in every windowsill. Finally , at breakfast, there was a dead fly on my bread and butter plate. There is no eccentric excuse for this lack of attention to cleanliness.
The meals were splendid, the staff warm and the view over the Atlantic delightful.
I unfortunately cannot recommend this hotel to anyone expecting North American standards.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CromartyRoots
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Spent a couple of nights at Renvyle House two weeks ago with my mother and two sisters. I cannot praise the staff enough. It really seemed that no request was too much trouble and we had a wonderful time. The manager Ronnie took time to speak to all of his guests which resulted in making us feel that we were really welcome and at home ( he even gave us complimentary tickets to Kylemore Abbey!) The waiting and reception staff were without exception the most attentive and professional I have ever met in a hotel. This on top of lovely clean rooms with great views - incredible breakfasts and dinners- outdoor heated pool ( which the waiting staff opened specially for us at 8.30am) and the natural beauty of the entire area made this a very special trip. I would highly recommend this hotel and fully intend returning. The only thing I was disappointed with was that I didn't run into the resident ghost ....maybe next time!

Room Tip: We had room 50 which was really good and had a lovely view
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank marianwoods
reviewmanager, Front Office Manager at Renvyle House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Dear marianwoods,

Thank you for choosing to spend your holiday with us at Renvyle House and we are very glad that you enjoyed all aspects of your holiday. I'm assuming you were here during the heatwave we arranged for all our guests if you were heading to the pool for a pre-breakfast swim!

We would love to be able to welcome you back again in the future and hope you had a safe journey home.

With ward regards,
Sabina

Also consider these accommodations in or near Renvyle
Ardagh Hotel & Restaurant
Delphi Resort
Delphi Resort
#1 of 4 in Leenane
Ballynahinch Castle Hotel

Been to Renvyle House Hotel? Share your experiences!