“A great choice.”

Ballynahinch Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Recess
Reviewed June 29, 2014

When we arrived at Ballynahinch, I knew we had come to the right place. My husband is an outdoorsman, and he loved all of the fly fishing pictures and equipment that were in the common areas of the hotel. He was going to spend a morning fishing, but when he asked someone who'd been fishing that day, it seemed like the big fish weren't biting. Maybe next time....
The bar was wonderful, the food was delicious and reasonably priced. We also ate in the restaurant. The food was good, but I felt it was overpriced. When you consider that the steak in the bar is cooked by the same people who cook the food in the dining room, I wondered why we'd paid so much more to have the fancy atmosphere? (I actually preferred the cozier atmosphere of the bar.)
We had reserved a River View room, but were given a room in the castle, which is what I preferred. After we checked out, I realized that I'd still been charged the higher amount for the River View. That's not cool. Our room was directly above the reception area and the front entrance, so it was a bit loud when people came and went and were not mindful of the late hour and that they were outside people's bedrooms. The king-sized bed was comfortable, the bathroom was fine, the service was excellent.
I would stay again, but would check my bill more carefully and avoid the fine-dining experience.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travel_fan_56
There are newer reviews for Ballynahinch Castle Hotel

Reviewed June 24, 2014

My first impression of BCH was of an Indian Hill Station - a former palace converted to a hotel. Not surprising, given that Ranji owned the castle 1927-33. There are photos of him and his family but I think the place could market itself to Indians better. We had booked to eat in the restaurant but liked the bar so much that we ate there both nights. Great seafood and meat, good Guinness. Breakfast is excellent and when I apologised for taking a slice of soda bread to eat on the car journey, the waiter rushed off to get me a couple of loaves! The staff are excellent - nothing is too much trouble. Coffee and tea are brought to your room 24 hours at no charge. Outstanding - friendly but not intrusive. The room was delightful and it's worth having a view of the river. (Please regrout the shower and add a shower tray for your lovely products!) It's well worth walking round the grounds if the weather is good. Warning - do check your satnav as mine tried to get us to stop 30 km early; also there aren't lifts so do let them know if you have trouble with stairs (though the staff carry your bags). Total relaxation.

Room Tip: It's an old building so do let them know if you have trouble with stairs. Worth having the view...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank baribegum
Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

We arrived on Thursday evening, and before we had gotten out of the car a member of the staff came to pick up our bags. We were warmly welcomed and our bags were carried to the most gorgeous room we have ever slept in. We had booked the luxury room and got a beautiful riverview.

Everything was just great, the staff were extremely attentive, friendly and professional. The food in both the pub and the restaurant were also great. We did all the little walks around the castle and enjoyed a beer in the lounge before dinner.

This is definitely a place to recommend, and we hope we will be back some day.

Thank you so much for a wonderful couple of days!

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 21, 2014

We stayed for 2 nights in early June 2012 with our two college age children. My husband and I stayed in an exquisite room filled with windows overlooking the gorgeous property and private river. My family fished for salmon with a knowledgeable (and colorful) guide. My husband caught a "record breaker " that was served to us for dinner that night and a customized breakfast the next morning ! Amazing meals, amazing service. Gorgeous, restful setting. Oh, and if you're a John Wayne fan, the Castle is just a short drive to Cong where they filmed "The Quiet Man". This was a stay that will stay in our memories forever!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 20, 2014

We stayed in the Moby Dick room on 2nd floor in May 2014 and took the Dinner package. The room has the biggest bathroom in the hotel with a waterproof TV on the bath and separate double waterfall shower. Our whole experience from start to finish was absolutely lovely and although we were only at Ballynahinch for a couple of days, we both felt completely rested. I read the worst reviews so had set my expectations low and was so impressed. The hotel has undergone a refurbishment but not lost any of it's charm, lots of comfy sofa's in reception rooms, staff are more than happy to bring complimentary tea. There are some great walks around the grounds of the hotel that are suitable for most levels of fitness. We didn't participate in any of the sports offered by the hotel as spent our spare time in the hotel pub. The food is amazing - the best meal we have had in Ireland so far and converted me into an Oyster fan. recommended highly.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Emma W
Reviewed June 13, 2014

I am remiss to write about Ballynahinch because I don't really want it to become overrun, therefore making it difficult for me to go and stay there in the future! Walking into Ballynahinch I felt as though I was coming into a friend's home for a stay. The place is simply awe inspiring. Beauty lies where ever your eye stops. The walks, the sports & activities, the time to relax were all enhanced by the sheer majesty and mystery of the place. The staff were amazing. They clued in on the smallest details and remembered your likes, dislikes, names, what you were doing, and more. The food was excellent. The menu had many changes and freshly procured supplies each day. This place is like a smaller version - and by smaller, I mean better, more intimate - than the Homestead. So, please go, book your time at Ballynahinch, but shhhh!!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 10, 2014

The setting of this castle country home hotel is stunning. It's along a river and lake with paths for walking, gardens to explore and wonderful history. It's a perfect place to relax and refresh. There are many seating areas both inside and outside for reading and relaxing. We booked a river view room, but on arrival were placed in a larger room. It was beautifully decorated with a theme from the country of India. It was large with a sitting are and a dressing room- only disappointment was no river view. We had dinner in the pub and it was excellent-best steak my husband on our whole trip through Ireland. We ordered coffee from room service- free after an evening walk and they had live music in the pub later in the evening. We ended our day with a beautiful sunset! Breakfast that comes with the room was a lovely spread with many choices.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Recess
Ashford Castle
#1 of 1 in Renvyle
Rosleague Manor Hotel
Rosleague Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Letterfrack

Been to Ballynahinch Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!