“Not what we expected”

Ballynahinch Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Recess
Reviewed April 9, 2014

The location is beautiful, but the hotel itself is older and rustic, more of a hunting lodge than a castle. The decor is fairly dark. The restaurant is over priced and over rated. The wait staff was very pleasant, but the hostess was curt and not very helpful. I indicated I had a question on the menu, her response was to take someone else's order. The grounds are beautiful, but overall we felt it was over priced and not as advertised.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank MSM0314
Write a ReviewReviews (1,413)

Reviewed April 8, 2014

My wife and I stayed here two weeks ago. We asked for a twin room and we were in the riverside view block which had just been refurbished. A long way down an unheated corridor from the reception. It was fine but the single beds were tiny and only one stand for luggage which seemed odd in a double room. Next night we took another room and all hell broke loose at 2.30am with all sorts of rattling going on connected to if the window was open or not. When we left this remained a mystery but we were not charged. The Castle was in a lovely location which I knew very well beforehand. The staff were very helpful and friendly. The food was good and to be there with the salmon running would be bliss. Would I return? In a heartbeat!!

Room Tip: Check the banging ceiling has been fixed! But all rooms I am sure have a wonderful outlook
1  Thank Trout21
Reviewed April 7, 2014

I loved it here! It was what you dream of when imagining staying at a castle. Luxurious is right! exquisite is more like it! Very kind staff and the views from our room was perfect. The food was excellent! I enjoyed the cozy Pup dinner too. The people there made you feel like you were not just a guest but a part of the atmosphere. I loved hearing the stories of Fishing and adventures. The music was was festive and lively. Can't wait to see them again in June! 2014 I may just try some fly fishing this time.

Room Tip: I paid the extra for a room with a view! OH so worth it! Dressing Room and Large Bathroom hug...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 29, 2014

Our group of 8 ladies were booked into Ashford Castle in March, 2014. We received word from Shamrock Vacation that Ashford had contacted them that they were going to be closed for renovation. We were given several choices to consider and Ballynahinch was the one we chose. What a wise decision! It was my favorite accomodation of four 5 star castle/hotels that we stayed in. It was in a gorgeous setting and the reception was warm and friendly.There were 6 fireplaces in the common rooms and we were given complimentary tea and biscuits one afternoon in front of the open fire.. All of the staff were friendly and helpful. Our rooms were very spacious and overlooked the river which was so very beautiful. The food was outstanding and the view from our table was gorgeous. We went on one of the several trails around the castle and enjoyed it.. The second night we had dinner in the pub with live music and we sang along. Everything about Ballnahinch was top notch and I would love to visit again and stay longer,

Room Tip: We requested river view rooms and they were very spacious. Our rooms were on the 1st floor and i t...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Booked into this great hotel for St. Patricks Day & as always on this special day, felt so proudly Irish, experiencing the beauty & friendliness of my Country, When in or around the hotel you find you don't want to go anywhere else, but of course you must go & explore the rest of gorgeous Connemara & Galway City. + Cliften, Roundstone, Sky Road, etc. (get lost,its great fun) Its hard to add to what has already been said by other reviewers which are spot on, just to add my own details, my room no.was 23, ground floor, river view, There are 3 lovely walks, Riverside. Lakeside,& Railway Walk, Nothing is spared in this Hotel in the effort to make your stay as comfortable & memorable as possible, the staff are wonderful. I would recommend it to anyone visiting from this or any other Country,

Reviewed March 16, 2014

My partner and I were given a voucher as a gift for bed and breakfast at Ballynahinch during a recent visit to Ireland and all I can really say is....... wow!!
We had a lake view room on the first floor which was enormous, with the biggest bed I have ever seen, a dressing room and gorgeous ensuite bathroom with his and hers sinks, robes and slippers. Luxurious and unpretentious, this hotel doesn't have to try, it just is.
My only slight criticism is the bar food, which as a vegetarian had only one option which really lacked imagination......but was presented and cooked adequately. A lovely walk around the grounds the following day along the river watching the salmon jump just topped off a truly perfect, romantic and memorable stay.

Room Tip: Lakeview if you can.............stunning.
Reviewed February 21, 2014

My husband and I had a perfect celebration of our 50th wedding anniversary by traveling to Ireland, and I must say that Ballynahinch Castle was the most special place to be during our trip. We were priviledged to be assigned to room 18 that has a magnificent view from two sides of this beautiful castle. You can roam the estate at your leisure. Staff are friendly and helpful. If you ever have the chance to visit Ireland and are in Connemara Co. Galway, please plan to spend a night or days at this most beautiful place on earth. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Room 18 has a beautiful view of a garden from one window and from the other window a breath taking v...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank baskets & bears
Also consider these accommodations in or near Recess
Abbeyglen Castle Hotel
#2 of 2 in Recess
Renvyle House Hotel
Renvyle House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Renvyle

Been to Ballynahinch Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!