“Great stay at Ballynahinch”

Ballynahinch Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Recess
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at Ballynahinch. Our room was very clean and had a view of the river. The Fisherman's Pub had great food and we ate there every night for dinner. The breakfast was very tasty and it was traditional Irish. I loved this hotel and I will stay here again.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank FamTimeFL
Write a ReviewReviews (1,413)

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Having travelled from Barna to Kylemore Abbey we decided to go further to Ballinahinch Calstle for lunch. I was most disappointed that the hotel did not seem to cater for coeliacs. I ordered chowder & gluten free bread to learn the chowder was not gluten free just their vegetable soup was gluten free & they had no bread just rice cakes. If the vegetable soup can be gluten free why can the chowder not be gluten free also. My partner had the pate which he said was absolutely delicious and looked fantastic & plentiful. In todays environment when so many people have an allergy to wheat is this fantastic hotel not catering for them?

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Eilis186609
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed here for our first night in Ireland. Delta had lost our luggage and the hotel staff when above and beyond to route our bags to our next destination. Supper and breakfast were delightful and they even brought up an after supper tea and dessert to our room. Rooms are comfortable with all the amenities one could ask for. They had fires burning in the common area fireplaces which was a lovely touch. Beds were some of the most comfortable we had while in Ireland. My mother’s was a bit more firm than the one in our room. They are more towards the typical European beds, not what we are accustom to in the US but again more comfortable than most in Ireland.
The grounds were beautiful and location was very nice as well.
Thank you for a wonderful stay and we would definitely recommend and stay again (for longer next time)!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Amber A
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We had two rooms and spent one night at Ballynahinch Castle. It is not quite a castle but it is a beautiful estate and a large elegant manor house. The rooms are nice and very quiet but the carpet is old and needs to be replaced. The bathrooms are updated and clean.

We traveled with our children so we needed two rooms. The first room we had was above the kitchen and after dinner we went back to our room and could hear the dishes clanking around and loud conversations. We called the front desk and they immediately moved us to a different room, which was lovely and very quiet.

We had the 4 course meal in the dining room and the food was excellent. Breakfast the next morning was wonderful too. The staff was very helpful and friendly. We especially love seeing the friendly Labradors wandering around outside and in the lobby. When we travel we miss our dogs and like to have a pup to pet. This was a splurge but worth the money.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank OutForTheJill
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I really liked it here it had its ups and downs but felt very relaxing i wasquite sick when i arrived and everyone of the staff treatet me so well even showing me how to heat hot water in the kettle and add wiskey the irish cure lol. Although this is not really fancy castle it is a quaint manor house with a beautiful river and just so many hikes the property is large. When i arrived i sat and chatted with other guest in the library it was lovely and believe it or not this was the only time someone carried my bag to my room everywhere else it was me or my guide and it was hard as i had been in a bad car accident the day before i left for ireland and caught my moms cold i was informed not to tip but i was so happy at the kindness of the bellman i did anyway. I managed a short trail walk it was lovely my room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. I had a view of the river i wish the bathroom was a bit more fancy but it was clean and adaquate the next day i wandered and ended up in a seperate area where i believe staff live. it was a bit rundown but i was probably not supposed to be in there but this is where i metmy best friend katie the resident dog a retriver she was eating from thee garbage bin i stopped her and talked to her she never left my side after that i threw her sticks and one fell in the freezing water and like a flash katie was in thr river bring me the stick i was so scared she would freeze lol so i sat with her next to the river just enjoying the country i found a tick over katies eye and removed it im from an area where lyme disease is a big concern i let the manager know and they reassured me there was no lyme disease there and they would look acter katie. When i was leaving i told the manager dont forget to charge for the book about the house and area he smiled and said it was on him. I would definitely visit again thanks everyone for making my stay so relaxed

Room Tip: A room over loking the river would be grand
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank suzyrain2
Reviewed July 7, 2013

A step back into time! Beautiful grounds, lovely dinners with magnificent views! Shabby Chic interior...do not expect new and polished people...this is a 1756 castle! Know what you want before you come! The lounge/pub room was rustic with a warm fire glowing, fishermen bringing in their fresh caught salmon. (you can take fishing lessons here!). Arvan, who immediately made us feel special, took us to our room (The Maharajah) Suite, showed us around and gave us some history. He is going places in this industry. Consider yourself lucky if you get to meet him! I just loved the warmth and feel of a time gone by.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bfzebra
Reviewed July 4, 2013

A beautiful castle tucked away between mountains and streams. We stayed there for one night during our tour of southern Ireland. This was one of the highlights of our trip and the tranquil setting and beautiful views made this a great end to our trip.

We had a triple room with a river view on the ground floor and we were seriously impressed by the room at the end of one of the many long carpeted hallways. The room was beautifully made up with a little tv sitting area and a huge bathroom and dressing area. Bathrobes, slippers and heating in the bathroom made this quite the royal experience.

At breakfast I got a taste of the traditional black and white pudding. Tastes a bit like salty turkey stuffing I would say, but way too rich to have more than a few bites. And again the dining hall offered beautiful views over the river.

This a great location for a bit of relaxing and to experience a stay in an Irish castle. Well close enough to a real castle anyway. :)

Room Tip: River view, but I think most of them are anyway.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank IvisAde
Also consider these accommodations in or near Recess
Abbeyglen Castle Hotel
Renvyle House Hotel
Renvyle House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Renvyle
Clifden Station House

Been to Ballynahinch Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!