“Gorgeous location. What a shame it isn't a gorgeous hotel”

Ballynahinch Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Recess
Reviewed November 11, 2012

The walks around the hotel are lovely. This is a beautiful spot to rest and recharge. The hotel is pleasant, but certainly does not merit a 4-star rating in terms of service, comfort or facilities.

The building needs renovation inside and out. External walls are plastered with a rather dreary, 1950s suburban pebbledash - rather lowering the tone of what purports to be a castle...

There were no vegetarian options for dinner, and zero interest on the part of the reception staff to enquire if the kitchen could accomodate two vegetarians. They looked at us as if we were creatures from another planet when we told them we were vegetarians. We ate in town.

The hotel has a rather squalid looking 'pub' area - not very inviting.

Breakfast was good.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a room with a view over the lake, though the price hike is steep.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank JeremyCondor
Write a ReviewReviews (1,412)

Reviewed November 9, 2012

We enjoyed our stay here, especially the beautiful view of the river. The food in the restaurant was delicious, service was very slow however. The room was spacious and bed was comfortable. The staff was friendly. The value wasn't there for us but we had a nice time.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank AmySpencer
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I think that the old line is relavent here when you go to Ballynahinch Castle you will meet old friends you never met before. The service is faultless, everyone gives the friendliest welcome that they can without being overbearing. The food is delightful, and sokething I look forwards to experiencing again soon. The environment around the house can only be described as spectactular! We went out for a walk on a particularly bad weather day, it was still worth it, and coming back in to the fires burning was also another special touch. If I had any criticism it would be that I feel that some of the rooms need some updating, which I imagine is difficult in the current economic environment, but would be welcome soon.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MarcusDublin
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Traveling to Ballynahinch castle a number of times only to have lunch or a pint in their
wonderful pub, I finally stayed there, and it was all that I expected. As I parked, and open the boot,the staff was apron us assisting us inside. the staff at registration were most helpful. The rooms were wonderful, and the beds were very very comfortable. The option to use a heater for the bathroom mirror was a kick. No disappointments here. We hiked the many trails on the grounds. I would have liked to taken the tour, but due to my schedule I was unable, but I recommend. Do not go to Connemara without stopping here, have a pint, relax. Oh, by the way this is one of the bigger place to go fly fishing in season. I would return.

Room Tip: I went in low season, rooms were half price, quiet, very relaxing. The price fix dinner is wonderful...
2  Thank Fordan
Reviewed November 6, 2012

My wife and I visited Ireland for 2 weeks and we wre both dissapointed in this hotel.The hotel does have a good location and you must see the old Clifden Castle 15 minutes away, but I would not stay at this hotel again. I travel worldwide often and would not in any way consider this a 4 star hotel. It needed updating a long time ago. The rooms are too small. The bathroom is the size of a small closet and the water has a rust color too it. The dinner is below par and the bar is too small to accomadate the guests. I think they may have many people who are not staying at the hotel use the bar at night since it was very crowded. The breakfast was nice.The grounds are beautiful and the staff were friendly,but for the price I would stay away.

3  Thank Steven W
Reviewed November 4, 2012

This was our introduction to staying in Ireland and spoiled us for the rest of the trip.
The staff were gracious and the location fantastic. Lots of history and a place of timeless beauty.
this is a fishing and country resort. Nice walking paths along the river and grounds that were pleasant experience as we walked them.
Gerald Ford and his wife vacationed here when he was president.
The bar is relaxing and decorated with fishing pictures/memorabilia.

Room Tip: Don't be off-put with the water as it is somewhat unclear, but it flows through bog streams then...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Robert S
Reviewed November 4, 2012

This was the next to last stage of a family trip to Ireland. We stayed two nights at the Ballynahinch and wish we had stayed a week. I have travelled a lot, worldwide, both for pleasure and business and never have I stayed in a more appealing property. The grounds are those of a large private estate with a beautiful salmon filled river passing right through the property. Hiking trails, Connemara National Park, nearby Clifden coastal village - it was a delightful place. And yes, Patrick is the perfect manager and host. Our rooms were like a Gary Cooper movie set: Elaborate furniture, fireplaces, postcard views out every window. When you sat in the library off the main lobby, you would not have been surprised at all to see Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson discussing a case by the roaring fire. Next time I will pack a fly rod! The only thing that prevents me from awarding a fifth star was the food and service on the night of our arrival. The staff was slow and indifferent in the pub, the food was mediocre, slow to arrive and very expensive. The servers never came back to inquire if I would like another Guinness. It was disappointing enough that we ate our remaining meals in Clifden at O'Malley's. Still, I would go back to Ballynahinch in a heartbeat and give them another chance on the food - I can always get up and go to the bar for my own Guinness. Breakfast in the restaurant, by the way, was excellent.

Room Tip: The corner rooms have twice as many windows and you cannot find a bad view! There is no elevator, b...
2  Thank ras828
Also consider these accommodations in or near Recess
Abbeyglen Castle Hotel
Renvyle House Hotel
Renvyle House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Renvyle
Clifden Station House

Been to Ballynahinch Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!