“Ballynahinch Castle for Night”

Ballynahinch Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Recess
Reviewed March 21, 2012

My girlfriend and I made our way around England and Ireland for a getaway and decided to stay a night at the Ballynahinch Castle after visiting Dublin and Galway (it's a short two-hour car ride, I'd highly recommend renting a car - and stopping in Galway on the way as it's an amazing little town). The staff was great, food was great, views were even better. We stayed in the larger of the double-occupancy rooms with a door & view out of our room to the river.

BEST PINT OF GUINNESS I HAD IN IRELAND, including Dublin (was there for St Paddy's). Must be the cellar temps or the lines or something, literally; less "tin" aftertaste and more chocolate than the pints I drank 1/2 mile from the brewery... who knew.

Room Tip: Our room was in the back but all of them are quiet. I'd suggest paying $50-$80 more for a larger...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RPettee
POFlahertyGM, General Manager at Ballynahinch Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2012

Dear RPettee,
Thank you for your great review! It is encouraging to get such feedback and I am delighted that you enjoyed your Pint of Guinness so much. I can confirm that the management take a close interest in maintaining the quality control in this area! Come back soon, Patrick GM

Write a ReviewReviews (1,413)

Reviewed March 20, 2012

Your experience will begin as you drive up the road as it is surrounded by an amazing forest with a river that passes in front of the castle. We stayed in March which was rainy but it seemed to capture an enchanted feel that only seems to be present in dreams. You are greeted warmly and escorted to a very clean and charming room, which for us overlooked the river with a very spacious window. We decided to treat ourselves to the restaurant and not the pub which was a very elegant 5 course meal complete. I dinned with my family of four and when the main course was brought out they lifted our lids in unity which was very special. Breakfast was equally appetizing and the staff was very polite. After breakfast my husband rented fly fishing equipment and I went for a very quiet stroll through the forest and even though it rained the entire time there wasn’t a moment that I was not amazed by the beauty of the forest! We only stayed one night unfortunately and I wished that I had planned for more time there. I highly recommend this location as it was unforgettable.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family

Dear Friends,
I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us so much. I am particularly pleased that you managed to engage with all that Ballynahinch and Connemara has to offer during your brief visit. Thank you for coming to see us and do come back soon; I saw a salmon jumping this morning as I looked out the restaurant window. Regards, Patrick GM

Reviewed March 20, 2012

Still remains my family's favourite hotel in the world and we spent a year traveling so have had a wealth of experience. Of course it helps that Connemara is one of our favourite places. The weather in Ireland is unreliable but somehow we never mind when we are in Connemara. The location on a rise above the river is beautiful and there are lovely walks throughout the grounds and all around. It feels more like being a member of a house party with friends. The bar is always full of interesting people, locals and guests and often a musical session. Food is consistently good with fresh local produce and recently landed fish and shellfood. Service is excellent. I can only think of one small criticism after much thought and that is coffee should be improved. A good machine and trained barista would perfect the experience!
If you are touring in the area you should stay here, there is in my experience nowhere better.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank sparklehorse11

Dear Sparklehorse,
I am almost embarrassed! what wonderfully kind words! Thank you for taking the time to review us though we are now under pressure to remain worthy of your endorsement! I will have a look at the coffee arrangements and see what we can do to improve matters. Hope to see you again soon, Regards, Patrick GM.

Reviewed March 14, 2012

September 2010 my daughter and I toured Ireland and stayed in five castles. Ballynahinch we labeled as the "smaller cozy castle with the best food". We enjoyed driving through the countryside from Ashford Castle to reach Ballynahinch. As soon as you walk into the castle you can smell the wood burning in the big fireplace in the pub and feel at home. There are some beautiful paintings on the walls on the first floor. The best meal during our entire travels through Ireland had to be the meal we ate in the pub. I had one fantastic steak and dessert was a Lime Creme brulee that we still talk about. Due to jet lag, we overslept in the morning and missed breakfast. The dining room staff called up to our room and asked if they could put together a plate of food for us before they put all the food away. That was very nice of them to recognize that we did not make it down to breakfast! This castle is not as elegant as the other castles found in Ireland, but it is not be missed. It has it's own charm and great food. I would definitely recommend staying at Ballynahinch Castle Hotel and enjoy a meal in the pub.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank cmp618
Reviewed March 11, 2012

An hour outside of Galway...this hotel continues to service its guest with good food, beautiful vistas and quiet night sleep. Even on a chilly rainy March day, its worth a visit. Traveled through the area and stayed here numerous times. Lots of couples taking a break.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room that suits your needs....location, size and decor differ through property.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Repap
Reviewed February 2, 2012

The first thing about Ballynahinch Castle, is that it is a couple of kilometres from the nearest main road and so is very quiet. it is also set in beautiful woodlands with manicured gardens, shrubberies, by a rushing river with great walks. It is very easy to just relax and forget that the there are other places to see in lovely Connemara. The rooms are very comfortable, four-poster beds in some, staff are absolutely lovely, most seem to have been here for years, food is excellent without being too fussy. Try the seafood plate in the bar for a real taste of freshness (enough for two and good value). The bar is the hub of the hotel and everyone wanders in there at some stage. Prices are similar to local bars, so no worry about what the pint costs. Impromptu singing sessions are likely to happen, and you never know who you might meet. Ballynahinch is well worth the drive to Connemara, you won't want to leave.

Room Tip: The riverside room have great views. Take time to look at the photographs and painting so the wall...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Taisteal
Reviewed January 30, 2012

This is one very special place! From the moment you arrive you are feel made so welcome it's impossible not to relax. The roads around the immediate vicinity are so quiet (as they don't really go anywhere!) that you can walk around for hours without seeing a car, and that's if you decide to leave the grounds! The ambiance of the Castle is created using a very special formula which is the skill of Patrick and his team - it's impossible not to relax here. From elegant lounges with big log fires and beautiful gardens not to mention your room (we were lucky enough to stay in a suite overlooking the famous salmon river) you're sure to find a space just for you. Breakfast is a treat and dinner in either the "pub" or diningroom is sure to please with plenty of choice for all tastes. We were fortunate to have musicians playing in the bar on Saturday night and together with a few pints of creamy Guinness made for a great nights sleep in our four poster bed! You have to experience this hotel to truly appreciate it's a special place with history all around you!
All this, and not a fishing rod or shotgun put to use all weekend! (we did manage to walk the legs off Patrick's dog before we left though!)

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the river
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JWT2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Recess
Abbeyglen Castle Hotel
#2 of 2 in Recess
Renvyle House Hotel
Renvyle House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Renvyle

Been to Ballynahinch Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!