“Remote Paradise”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Inishbofin
Dublin, Ireland
“Remote Paradise”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Inishbofin Island is one of the best kept secrets in Ireland. Thankfully the Celtic Tiger never got a chance to spoil it. It has kept its charm over the years and is a place every person should visit at least once. As for the Murray Family at Doonmore Hotel, their hospitality knows no bounds. Friendly, professional and genuinely helpful. The hotel itself is well run, with great food, lively nightlife and staff who will go out of their way to ensure you have a great stay. The music is world class. Its a place I have stayed often with family and friends and its always the first port of call once I reach the island. The local people are friendly and very accepting of visitors to Inishbofin. The Doonmore Hotel is a must for any person visiting the west of Ireland. Well worth at least a nights stay on the island. You won't regret it. The reviews on tripadvisor are testament to that.

Room Tip: Doonmore Hotel isn't known for closing early!!!!! So if you have kids or if for some reason you...
5 Thank GFM2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Westport, Ireland
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We have stayed at all of the Hotels on Inishboffin, this is definately the best! We were on the island for three days with friends celebrating a friends 5oth birthday. We had a beautiful birthday dinner at the Hotel and Aileen organised a birthday cake for the occasion!Thank you so much for making us so welcome again. The main reason for returning to this Hotel is the very warm welcome always received, The Murray family are all so lovely and the staff are second to none!It is a great base to explore the island, or as we did this time, enjoyed the sunshine and the good food and guinness to be had here! We will be returning very soon.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank morchwestport
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I just spent 3 days in the Doonmore Hotel (or Murray's). We were well looked after and the food, especially evening dinners were excellent, everything fresh, home cooked. The crab claws were so good! We were lucky to get 3 lovely sunny days. Well done to all.

3 Thank margaretmcloughlin
Westport, Ireland
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I stay at the Doonmore Hotel whenever I vist Inishbofin, which is pretty often. The main reason we choose this hotel is the warm welcome and the great service. It's a family run business and the Murrays are wonderful hosts. It's a great base from which to explore the island, or you could just stay in and enjoy the good food and the cosy bar. Don't forget to ask Andrew to give you a song!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Frances H
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 10, 2013

In '09 I was in Galway before picking up friends arriving to Dublin and I asked an older Irish gentleman on the street about the Aran Islands and he said, "Don't go to the Aran Islands. You should visit Inishbofin." I'm forever grateful as we did and it was amazing. It was the reason the same group returned to Ireland this year. When not taking in the beatiful scenery on one of several walks, Doonmore is the place to eat, drink and relax near a peat-fueled fire. All the folks at the Doonmore were wonderful. I wish my shower at home had such awesome pressure! And the food - so tasty! For me every trip to Ireland will include a visit to Doonmore.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jason S
Belmullet, Mayo, Ireland
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed at Murray's Doonmore Hotel on the June Bank Holiday weekend. It was our first experience of Bofin and so we didnt know what to expect. At the pier, we were met by the lovely Andrew who loaded our bags straight into the van before taking us to the hotel. We were greeted at reception by Aileen who was so friendly and welcoming. I was delighted when I got up to my room and saw the breathtaking room from my window, it was amazing! I was also delighted to find the usual tea/coffee making facilities, hairdryer, tv, etc. There was also an iron and ironing board left in the hallway for our use. The whole room was immaculate and the shower was fantastic - great pressure.The bedding was perfect, I had the most comfortable night's sleep.
The food in the Doonmore (restaurant and bar) is fabulous! It was so tasty and great value for money. The main thing about this place for me was the friendly staff. We were served in the restaurant by the two most wonderfully efficient and friendly waitresses, Claire and Claire! They even took the time to have the 'craic' with us. The bar staff were equally as friendly. Thanks to Luke, Oileán, Simon, Elliott and Tom for making our time so enjoyable during a very busy weekend! I was amazed how well they worked under pressure. We are already planning for our next visit at the end of the month. I have to say that my expectations were well surpassed and I would absolutely recommend the Doonmore Hotel to anybody looking for an Island break.

2 Thank Lisa M
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Spent a most enjoyable June weekend in the Doonmore Hotel in 2012. Our bedrooms had a wonderful view overlooking the Atlantic and the location of the hotel is quite spectacular. The welcome from the Murray Family, general friendliness of the staff and food in the hotel was excellent. We also went on a trip by rib to Inishark and met some American archaeologists on a dig. We were told about the last people leaving the island and were struck about how difficult life must have been. I would particularly recommend Doonmore Hotel to anyone visiting Inishbofin either for a meal or a holiday.

Joanne Sheehan

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Joanne S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Inishbofin
Inishbofin House Hotel & Marine Spa
Renvyle House Hotel
Renvyle House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Renvyle
Abbeyglen Castle Hotel

Been to Doonmore Hotel? Share your experiences!