“best steaks”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Had a wonderful birthday dinner, server made me feel special. The ribeye steak was perfection, cooked perfect and the best I have ever tasted. Reasonable prices and fantastic location overlooking the water

1  Thank Gayle G

Reviewed December 12, 2012

Great restaurant! Food, service, and price is great! 4 can eat on steak for two meal. I recommend every thing on the menu. They have a second dining area for parties.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

We lived here in 2004 to 2007 and often enjoyed a fork-tender steak at the Cherokee. So, we HAD to go back during this trip and see if this local gem has changed as much as the area has. Nope! It's still a great meal, with great service, in the same dining room overlooking the marina. Yea, we feel like we're home again :) Life IS Good :)

Reviewed October 8, 2012

OK, the title of this review is this restaurant's motto. It is printed on the menus and they sell t-shirts! That should have been our first clue. Met the manager - now I know who more than likely chose their motto. He is also probably the one who chose to seat us in the banquet hall (party of 8 celebrating 4 birthdays). Tile floors and they sat us at a long narrow folding table, of which we used half. It felt like we were in a church fellowship hall - well until the beer next door started flowing. We may have had folding chairs, but I don’t remember for sure.

One side of the table was pushed up so close to the wall, you couldn't get out without going into the adjacent banquet area that was behind one of those wooden slat collapsing walls. Either that or ask everyone else to get up and walk to the end of the rest of the 16' table that we weren’t using. That flimsy wall is what separated us from what appeared to be some kind of banquet, although it was more of an Oktoberfest celebration considering the cases and cases of beer on one of the tables (BYOBeer). Beer drinkers - does beer dull your hearing? Several had kids with them and seemed oblivious to their screaming, running and otherwise obnoxious behavior. See the below review by another member of our family for additional comments about the food and our experience.

You know, management is really to blame for seating us there in the first place instead of the restaurant area, but no one should allow their kids to just run wild in a restaurant. In regards to the obnoxious behavior - the manager said "I can't do anything about it." There was another table behind us partially set up. That party walked in and probably opted out – as we should have, but we were seated for a while before the beer started flowing and the kids started getting bored.

If you do intend on going, especially with a somewhat large party, request - no DEMAND to be seated in the restaurant’s normal dining area. The waitress, who by the way was excellent, said they had tables in there to accommodate up to 20 people. DO NO sit in the grammar school cafeteria area! One other strange twist – the waitress said it showed in their “book” that my wife had requested we sit in this area. We had never been here before and had no idea this area existed - won’t be back either!

OH! don't order the "Every Night Special" Sirloin and 10 grilled shrimp. Three of us did and three of us agreed. The steak was OK, little tough, but it is sirloin. The 10 shrimp were tiny, tiny, tiny - rubbery and tasteless. Wife commented she would have rather had 5 larger ones. These were borderling salad shrimp.

1  Thank room121
Reviewed October 5, 2012

This was my first time at Cherokee, and it will be my last. A family member of mine has a boat on Old Hickory, so we decided to celebrate a couple birthdays by taking a little trip up river to Cherokee. First off, we were seated in a banquet area behind the kitchen where there happened to be a bunch of drunken people partitioned off behind us. They're kids were running around screaming, and we were having a hard time hearing one another. We ordered a few appetizers -- fried mushrooms that tasted like they had come out of a bag in the freezer, not-so-creamy spinach artichoke dip that just didn't taste good, and then some onion rings that were actually very good. (Individual plates to use for the rolls and apps are styrofoam.) Then came the salad. Not bad. Great kitchen-made blue cheese dressing. Then the experience took a nose drive. I got my t-bone steak. I ordered it medium. Easy enough? No, try rare in spots and medium rare in others. I wanted PINK. Not RED. I sometimes order medium rare, so I'm not turned off by a little dark pink here and there. However, this was dark red with a very tiny sear edge. So I told the server, and she took my plate to the back while everyone else ate. They threw it back on the grill, cooked it a little better, and brought me another potato that was supposed to be loaded but wasn't. In the meantime, we had to take matters of the party next to us in our own hands. We asked them politely to be a little more quiet. They, in turn, did not, so we asked for the manager. The dumpy-looking manager said, "it would put me between a rock and a hard place to ask them to be quiet." What?!? I've worked in the food business where we had policies where if other customers' visits were being affected by others who are being disrespectful, then we could politely ask those people to tone it down. Also, the first thing he said when he approached our table was, "how's the food, folks?" like he was already avoiding the problem. So... No, I will not eat here ever again. This is a prime location, and the restaurant should reflect that. Instead, it reflects the seemingly poor management we encountered tonight. Finally, a steakhouse should know how to properly cook a steak. Mine wasn't the only undercooked steak on our table. I think Robert Irvine should visit this place.

2  Thank Daniel F