“A Beautiful Country House”
Review of Cashel House Hotel

Cashel House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Cashel B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I stayed here last summer with my fiance for one night, it was a real treat. We booked using a groupon voucher and we were given a lovely room. It is perhaps a smaller room than others they have but we loved it. My one complaint was that the room was a bit dusty, but everything else was spotless. We ate in the restaurant that night and the food was beautiful and the staff were lovely. The next morning we treated ourselves to breakfast in bed and I'm glad we did, great food and it really was a treat! After breakfast we went for a walk around the hotel. The grounds are absolutely gorgeous and the gardens are breathtaking. I would defintely recommend staying here, it isn't often nowadays too find a place that has still kept all the charm of an old Irish hotel.
We will stay again!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Cashel House Hotel

Reviewed April 14, 2013

After a few days in Scotland, we visited Ireland on our honeymoon, and Cashel House (at the recommendation of our travel agent) was our first stop. We can't say enough about our experience there. We were pretty stressed out when we arrived - about halfway through our long drive from Dublin to Cashel, we realized we'd lost our camera (with all our honeymoon photos from Scotland) at the airport - and Kay, Martin, Luigi, Ray and the rest of the crew at Cashel were sooo helpful. They were very sympathetic, called the airline for us, and got everything resolved - the service was above and beyond.

As you can tell by the photos already posted, the house and grounds are BEAUTIFUL - it feels like you're in "The Secret Garden". Also, the food was tremendous - we had the lamb shank and steak, and were very impressed. If you're looking for a lovely, relaxing country break and charming company, make the drive out to Cashel House - you won't regret it.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I recently stayed in Cashel with my husband and having visited Connamara on several occassion I feel sad that we only found this hidden treasure now, "but better late than never". From the moment we entered Cashel House it was truely a wonderful experience that I look forward to repeating in the near future. We were greeted by Ray and he showed us to our beautiful room that overlooked the garden No 44, the cleaniness was remarkable I have never seen a hotel so clean. It was pure relaxation from that moment on. Having settled in we were ready to explore the local area it was on our way out that we met the loverly Mrs Mc Evilly what a host she give us details of the local area and advised on a suitable walk . On our return we were met by a big fire in the sitting room and the charming Martin who was friendly. and give us information on the house and area. We relaxed in front of the fire before getting ready for a wonderful dining experience. Dinner was 5 courses were amazing beautifully cooked and the service was excellent down to our coffee served in the sitting room with a selection of home made chocolates to finish off. When we returned to our room the turn down service even included a hot water bottle what a treat especially since we were in the middle to the artic weather which we experienced in March.
Breakfast was a similar experience with a wonderful selection of both hot and cold the eggs were even from their own hens and again the host was on hand to ensure that all our needs were catered for.
I would like to say a big thank you to all in Cashel House both those in front of house but not forgetting the kitchen and cleaning staff you have a real tresure and I cannot wait to return to Cashel House in the near future.

1  Thank MonaghanMum
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Ideally Situated in one of the most beautiful parts of the world in Connemara by Cashel Bay, the fabulous Roundstone village and beside the magnificent Twelve Pins mountains, world class beaches in warm weather!) and the wild Atlantic Ocean right on your doorstep with its rugged coves and ragged cliffs.

If you want a modern/contemporary or a soulless hotel then don't come here. This is a true country house in every respect and we just love old houses like this that are just oozing character and history. Lots of Georgian and Victorian furniture, old paintings, big chairs, comfy sofas make this Country House.

Our suite was just lovely. Big spacious, spotless, comfortable, warm and full of old furniture. A large sitting area and a modern clean bathroom completed our suite.

There are plenty of lounges to choose from to rest, relax and just chill out. There is even a small area for two with a lit fire to sit and read in leather chairs.The bar is to the back and is restful and again leather, but goodness me!!....who designed the strange modern lower area by the wonderful outside views? This is just so, so out of character with the hotel theme and just seems very odd.

What a lovely woman Mrs McEvilly is. She greets you with a genuine warmth and goes to every table at dinner in the true old fashioned way to ask how your ,meal was and if you would like more of anything! How wonderful and very welcome indeed. This reminded us again of another old school lady Silvano in the absolutely wonderful Lorenzetti Hotel in Madonna Di Campaglio, Italy. Ray the manager is a very nice man who was so friendly and welcoming.

We ate dinner at night and this was mixed.

Starters of three tiny scallops in an overpowering sweet sauce which killed the scallops and a pate that should have been sealed with clarified butter or fat to stop it going green.

Mains of fish for the both of us. Brill coated in an odd rosti crust and not for this fish at all. It killed the taste and I always remember.... lest is best for fish. My stuffed sole on spinach was very good indeed. Vegetables were hot beetroot (not something I would order or serve as a root vegetable), over boiled celery with no sauce and (cold)mashed potatoes.

Remember dinner here is €58 and that is on a par with Michelin starred restaurants in Dublin. You also get superb food here now for €25-30 a head for 3 courses. Service was not good. I asked the Italian for something and his mumbled reply?...." I am only on bread and water" (which by the way he never refilled) and ran off' He continued this demarcation at breakfast! The woman was the best at service, friendly and polite and helpful. The other waiter never smiled once and was very rough with service.

Breakfast had a wonderful choice and even had baked ham on the bone! Fresh fruit salad, great porridge with cream and honey lovely home made breads and excellent jams...again home made. I just love this on a breakfast menu and quite rare today. The let downs were the stone cold bacon, sausage and puddings and the wafer thin dry awful liver. We sent one back to get a returned piece the size of a steak. No...liver is served quite thin, pink in the middle and dusted with seasoned flour. What a pity the kitchen seems to get such basic small things wrong at dinner and breakfast. This does need to be looked at.

Only for the food/service this is s 5 from us. I hope my comments are taken in the spirit they are offered as one persons observations on what could be improved to make this even better.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

My name is Darren and i stayed here with my girlfriend for one night on 21/3/13. Everything about this place made us feel so relaxed and at home. Upon entering the hotel we were greeted by the owner of the hotel, Ms.McEvilly, a lovely woman who got us shown to our room. The room was lovely with a comfortable double bed and lovely view out onto the garden. We had a 5-course meal for dinner with every course amazing. We were looked after very well by our waiter and the service was excellent. I had mussels for starter, then prawn chowder, then hereford steak (which was so perfectly cooked and tasty) i then had creme brulee for desert and it was fabulous. The bar was nice and relaxing and comfortable too, with excellent service from Martin who was very friendly.. If you are young and think this place might not be for you, trust me, it is, im 21 and my girlfriend is 22 and we both agreed it was the nicest place we had ever stayed and absolutely loved it. We mean it when we both say we will definitely be returning. Thanks again.

Room Tip: All rooms have a lovely surrounding so no need to worry.
2  Thank DarandCol
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Visited here for two nights last weekend with my husband. Stayed in a ground floor garden room which was superb with a wonderful canopied bed, sitting room, tea coffee making facilities, plenty of bathroom supplies, hairdryer etc and a nightly turn down service. It is three years since we last stayed here and the welcome we received was wonderful. Ray (general manager) and Martin (bar manager) treated us like long lost friends. The service from all the staff throughout our stay was excellent. I also have to compliment the chef and kitchen staff on an excellent five course dinner on both nights - the choice was immense! I cant wait to go back - hopefully for the Christmas break

Reviewed March 17, 2013

It was actually a cold and windy evening in November and we were lost in the middle of nowhere. Suddenly a sign that rang a bell: Cashel house. It is one of the great mansions in Ireland that pride itself on accommodating General de Gaulle and his wife Yvonne, back to the 60's.
We got the warmest welcome of our Irish stay and the 5 o'clock tea and scones turned into a very nice evening as we decided to book a room. A huge double room which looked onto a lovely garden and all the care and attention you could dream of. It was a ladies party but we made the decision to treat our husbands with this charming and beautiful hotel. One day, for sure.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Pendragon09
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cashel
Ballynahinch Castle Hotel
Abbeyglen Castle Hotel
Renvyle House Hotel
Renvyle House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Renvyle

Been to Cashel House Hotel? Share your experiences!