“Lovely Break”

Zetland Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cashel
Reviewed July 16, 2011

Spent two days here midweek in wonderful weather and enjoyed every minute of it. Very tranquil feel and the staff were wonderfully helpful. Amazing view of the bay from the bedroom and the main dining room. Very happy with food and would definitely recommend the mussels. Decor may not be to everyones taste and there is limited phone reception (bonus!!) but will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed July 12, 2011

We were a group of 6 women who stayed for 3 nights. The staff, owner, and rooms were outstanding, The bar was fun, the restaurant and food were excellent. All our special requests, including filling our flasks, were attended to. We can't wait to return and bring our husbands. During our 3 week holiday, this was the best place we stayed in Ireland. Thanks Colum and all. Anna and the galloping Gals of Galway. Canada

Room Tip: room with a view
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 19, 2010

From the moment we arrived, it was first class service all the way - staff, rooms, food. My parents are in their 70's and were given a large room downstairs which was very convenient for dining and the drawing rooms. Staff very polite, professional and helpful.Very good menu selection but not too long, I was glad because I hate making choices! One particular staff member was very informative and it was great to be met by the owner and he even came into the restaurant. Rooms are very sizeable, quiet with magnificant views
Only flaw is there is no lift in the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed March 9, 2010

I have been coming to Connemara for 40 years and this visit has been wonderful. The weather in Ireland has been terrible of late but 4 days of frozen nights followed by unbroken sunshine has been worth all the waiting, even if the "wind had an edge".
The warmth of the staff and welcome at the hotel was a perfect antidote to the cold. It is the first time I have stayed here and it will not be my last; I long to come back and explore more of the Gowla .The view across the bay from the dining room was magnificent which made eating in the large bay window a great pleasure. The fishing, food and friendliness made my stay very valuable. The perfect way to recharge the battery before plunging back into working life.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank RGC75
Reviewed September 21, 2009

This is a beautiful hotel to stay in. It’s tucked away in the countryside overlooking Cashel Bay. We stayed for two nights and fell in love with the house. It is so warm and comfortable but what makes this hotel really special are the people who run it they could not be more helpful and friendly.

The grounds are spectacular and the views from the dining room of cashel bay are truly amazing. The bedroom we stayed in also had a fantastic view with cosy four poster bed. Breakfast was delightful, but dinner was a culinary experience. Memories of your stay here will truly last a lifetime. We cannot wait to return!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2009

Stopped off here while on holidays in Connemara, we holiday in Connemara a few times a year. Heard the Zetland had new bar opened last year that does food so we decided to stop off and try it. BIG MISTAKE!!. There were 5 of us, 3 adults and two children. We placed our order with young guy from behind the bar. I should mention we were only ones in food area when we placed our order. After we placed order another family came in and 2 other couples. Had to ask twice for highchair. 10 mins later still no water or wine we ordered. My children were thirsty so we asked again for water, told by our teenage bar guy yes it was coming. Had to ask 4 more times, evenutally after 20 mins we got the jug of water but by this time all other tables had their drinks and we were first there by 15 mins. Food arrived after about 30 mins but not all food. We waited 10 mins and asked where rest of our food was. To be told side orders of potatoes and chips on their way but we didn't order the other main we enquired about. We eventually got side orders and other mains 1 hour after we had come in to eat, my stew came hack heated up too as I sent it back to be kept warm while waiting for potatoes but guess what my friend or I didn't get to eat our mains. Owner came around tables to ask if everyting was alright of course we said no, who else wouldn't? He said he would enquire as to what happened. He then came back to tell us we hadn't ordered the other items so delay was in a second order having to be placed. We highlighted to him that we did place all our orders at same time that it was bar guy that didn't take proper order. I mean we were missing sides that were supposed to come with main??. Owner said he had to listen to his staff and he had never had any complaints ever before! So with my Aunt and children finished their food. my friend and I started on ours but before we got to take a first bite, owner was back again to say, his staff were right and we did indeed place a second order. My Aunt told him yet again we didn't and surely bar guy, who is probably his son, should have realised 5 orders should have gone to kitchen, he said that he could count. My Aunt said ever hear of saying ' Customer is always right and owner said "Not in my hotel". So we got up and left, and paid for what was eaten and wine. But they were insisting I should pay for stew but I didn't considering I didn't eat it waiting for potatoes. We didn't have to pay other main course either. Owner ran out after us shouting at us, he was especially vocally aggressive with my Aunt, my 5 year old started crying at his. It as all so shocking. So folks remember customers do not matter in this establishment.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
6  Thank Dawmy
Reviewed August 2, 2009

This is an isolated hotel sitting right on the bay with fantastic views and beaches. The food was excellent as was the service. The atmosphere was fantastic with fires in the living areas and lovely silver tea service. We had a really relaxing stay here and would definitely come back. We would suggest that it is a romantic getaway for couples and not for families.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jupiter100
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cashel
Ardagh Hotel & Restaurant
Carna Bay Hotel
Carna Bay Hotel
#1 of 1 in Carna
Abbeyglen Castle Hotel

Been to Zetland Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!