“Can't wait to go back!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Carna Bay Hotel

Carna Bay Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Carna
Boston, Massachusetts
“Can't wait to go back!!”
Reviewed May 25, 2014

On a recent trip to Ireland I stayed at the Carna Bay Hotel and enjoyed all that Connemara had to offer. What a beautiful place! If you are traveling to Ireland, put Connemara on your list, and then add the hotel too! Food was delicious, the beer cold, staff more than accommodating and the atmosphere was extremely friendly and welcoming! The rooms were well kept and clean, and fresh towels were made available each day. I would highly reccommend the Carna Bay Hotel to anyone staying in the area! Fantastic stay!!

Katie
Boston,Ma

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank KatieFrossard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed May 20, 2014

I very much enjoyed my stay at the Carna Bay Hotel while on a Hillwalking Weekend with a group of 18 people.We couldn't have had a better location to see the beauty of Connemara, the heart of Ireland. It did surprise us all that Carna, was nearly the same distance again from Dublin to Galway. The Hotel served it purpose in every respect. Yes, it is a bit old fashioned but the rooms were comfortable and clean with TV and tea making facilities.The beds were very comfortable and tastefully dressed. The hotel has a small bar which opens out into a function room. We were fortunate to have entertainment on the Saturday night where we danced ceili, jive and old time waltz with the locals. It was great to see 17 - 70 plus up dancing together. No generation gap in Connemara! The best thing about the Hotel is definitely the food. Plentiful, wholesome, fresh, beautifully cooked and presented. Loved the fish dishes. I like the fact that the owner would come to the table to ensure that everything was alright. The staff were friendly and helpful. The only complaint I have with the hotel was the tea, but that can be easily remedied with a change of brand. I would most definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Connemara.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the mountains
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank MaryW2102
Bucksport, Maine
Reviewed May 5, 2014

While only a 3 star property, we weren't expecting a luxury hotel; however, the Carna Bay was well below what I would consider acceptable standards. The hotel has a musty odor to it once you walk in. During our stay, I think we may have been the only ones there. The rooms were very basic and after settling in we found hairs on the bath towels, a partially used shampoo in the shower, unwrapped bar of soap that may have been used before. The walls were grimy and when I opened the curtains to get some light in I noticed a brown substance caked on the window curtains. If I had not booked and pre-paid for this room, I would have left and found another location. We had booked two nights so we did our best to minimize the time we would be at the motel. The people were nice at the desk and in the restaurant; however, this does not overcome the lack of cleanliness in the room. The beds were also VERY uncomfortable, to a point where it was difficult to sleep.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Sbohlen
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed March 18, 2014

I stayed in the Carna Bay Hotel for one month and couldn't have been happier with the time I spent there. There is a lovely relaxing atmosphere in the place which is cultivated by the surrounding scenery, the very friendly and personable staff, the layout and the comfortable seating in the bar/restaurant. The wifi is fast and functions perfectly which was very important for me as Carna is quite an isolated place. The kitchen is open early and closes late and the rooms are great. Big beds, big TV, spacey bathroom. Just about all you could ask of a hotel. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
County Clare, Ireland
Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here during summer 2013 was not expecting anything too spectacular or luxurious but the standard of this hotel was poor by any standard. I cannot understand why this place has so many good reviews!! Our family room was tiny and depressing, the walls were covered in dirty stains, the bed covers looked dirty and soiled and it smelled musty, apart from the bathroom which had an overpowering smell of bleach. While the bar and waiting staff were friendly, the owner was rude and certainly not child friendly. Have stayed in much better places that cost far less. Felt like I was being robbed. Avoid at all costs.

Stayed January 2014
3 Thank Pipbeth
Shannon, Ireland
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Just returned from a hillwaking trip to Connemara; I do this on a yearly basis, and always choose this hotel as my base. I have nothing but praise for this small, family run hotel - everything is spot on, from the rooms, to the food, to the friendliness and warmth of the owners and staff, to the location, and value for money.

Having said this, it is important that one has the right expectations when coming here - Carna is a small village in rural Connemara, so if you are looking for a location with buzzing nightlife, glitzy clubs, bug parties, five-star restaurants, and boutique Hilton-style tourist hotels, then this is definitely not the place for you, and you should move on to Galway. If on the other hand, like me, you are looking for a place to leave everything behind for a few days, get away from the rat race, and have a clean, secure and comfortable base from which to explore the stunningly beautiful Connemara mountains and coasts, then definitely consider this hotel as your place to stay. You will receive a truly Irish welcome here, and you will be treated as part of the family by the owners and the staff. When I rang to make my booking, the person answering the phone remembered me personally from previous years - a small, but incredibly thoughtful and warm gesture. My room was spotlessly clean, the bed was extremely comfortable and cosy, and you will find all the usual amenities such as flat-screen TV with satellite channels, tea/coffee facilities, shower and bath tub, daily housekeeping service, and so on. I also had WiFi on this occasion from the downstairs access point, but I am aware that not all rooms have this, so if this is important to you then you need to mention it at booking stage. It should also be noted that this hotel does not have any leisure facilities such as pool, sauna, exercise rooms etc - not an issue for me personally, since that wasn't what I came to this hotel for. I got my exercise out hillwalking...

Words fail me when trying to describe just how good the food here is ! Particularly the sirloin steak is simply out of this world - I had this three nights in a row, same as in previous years, and each and every time - without fail - it was cooked to perfection, tender, with little fat, and unbelievably tasty ! I also recommend the prawn salad, and the Bailey's cheesecake...just divine ! The same goes for the Irish breakfast - freshly cooked, tasty, filling, and the perfect start to a day out in nature. The portions here are huge, almost too big to finish them, so the value-for-money aspect is truly excellent. I think the food alone would make me come back to this place, never mind the rest of the hotel !

The hotel's pub is frequented by a lot of local people of all ages, which gives an opportunity to get talking and find out a little more about their lives in this truly special part of Ireland. This is also the perfect opportunity to practice your Irish, if you are so inclined, as it is still used by many as the everyday means of communication here.

The only small caveat I can think of when it comes to this hotel is that the walls are quite thin, so if you are unfortunate enough to have noise neighbours, this might become a problem. Again, it wasn't an issue for me since I travelled at a very quite time of year.

Overall, this place is highly recommended, and there is no doubt that I will be back again next year for another hillwalking trip ! Speaking of which - the hills and mountains of Connemara are not for the faint of heart or inexperienced; stay off them if you don't know what you are doing, or at least get local advice and a good map.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank MarkusHanke
Cork Ireland
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Stayed here with my mother and my little dog. A few people expressed joy at the fact that they could have brought their own dog, saying next time they would! As long as you keep your dog in a crate/ floor bed i.e. not in their beds, all is well. Ideal place for walking, beautiful beaches and such lovely friendly people. It was great to hear Gaelic being spoken so freely. Food is so good we just toured by day and went back for our meals at night. This place is the local hub for entertainment by night and I was worried because I have stayed places where we couldn't sleep with the noise....not so here, once we went to bed we never heard a sound! Standard of service remained high despite a major function taking place while we were there. Great for families.

Room Tip: we stayed at the back of the hotel and didn't hear a sound...music was played till 2:00am!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank HelenCorkEire
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carna
Ardagh Hotel & Restaurant
Roundstone House Hotel
Roundstone House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Roundstone
Abbeyglen Castle Hotel

Been to Carna Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!