“A Filthy, smelly place where my designer purse was stolen and money never returned upon leaving”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Caherlistrane
Lisdonagh Manor House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Caherlistrane
Reviewed September 21, 2009

I had reservations the second I arrived to this place, because despite the lovely advertising, the place was filthy and smelly and clearly unkept. It smelled bad and looked bad and it was freezing cold inside. I almost left then (I wish I did), but the trip was pre-paid (BIG mistake), so I figured I will just ask the owner to clean and put on some heat and things will be fine. WRONG! I was told that the place (we rented the Gate Lodge) would be cleaned the next day, but when the next day I retuned with my daughter, the place was just as dirty and smelly as before, but I could tell someone was inside at one point, and as I soon discovered, MY 2000 DOLLARS FERRAGAMO PURSE WAS GONE! I told the owner that I would leave and requested a refund. I was told that I would not get any money back, then 200 Euros out of the 1000; but then, the owner showed up with only 150, took my credit card info and told me she would refund the rest later. As for the purse, she told me she would "look into the matter". I moved to another hotel, hoping to hear from the woman of the house but she first simply ignored me, then when I tracked her down refused to give me back my money and as for the purse, she simply told me it was not her resposnsibility. She ended up hanging up the phone on me and I never saw the money or the purse again. Please take my advise and stay clear of this place; I suggest Glenlo Abbey instead, beautiful place much nearer to Galway with reasonable prices and and incredible staff.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
12  Thank Perszona

Reviewed September 20, 2009

I stayed in Lisdonagh for two nights in late July with one of my best friends for a weekend getaway and it turned out to be one of the best choices we have ever made. John and Finola came highly recommended by other family members who have stayed there over the past few years and we certainly weren't disappointed. Right from the start, even making the booking was a pleasure, with no fuss and all the flexibility we could have asked for.

We found Lisdonagh easily thanks to the good directions and we immediately fell in love with the whole place. The beautiful house is grand but still on a human scale and Finola made us feel right at home with a warm welcome at the door and, just as soon as we had been shown our bedrooms, afternoon tea in the drawing room with a roaring fire lit for us. We arranged to have dinner both evenings as the food had been particularly recommended and good food is one of our great pleasures. We got to choose what time suited us and made our choices from a delightful selection each day. The food was truly great with generous portions and the setting of the dining room with, once again, the fire lit and candelabra glowing, completed the perfect meals. I have dined in many great restaurants and hotels but I don't think any have beaten the complete experience at Lisdonagh. The breakfasts were also delightful, starting with cereal with fruit and yoghurt accompanied by fresh scones and toast and followed by a full cooked-to-order Irish breakfast all washed down with fresh fruit juice and a big pot of tea. What a great start to any day!

The setting of Lisdonagh is magnificent with the lake to the front, the horses grazing in the field below and totally unspoilt views in all directions. We were offered the pleasures of fishing on the lake or horse riding but, as the weather was a little temperamental, we opted for touring the area including Galway City and some of the most gorgeous scenery to be found. John and Finola were very helpful in suggesting things we might be interested to see or do and we had a grand time exploring. Our stay coincided with the Galway Festival which gave us plenty of choice in entertainment and, if we had stayed a little longer, we could have caught the Galway Races.

The house is almost 300 years old with many original historic features, especially the splendid entrance hall, and it has been sympathetically refurbished to a very high standard without losing any of its' charm and quality. The rooms are large and very tastefully furnished, right throughout the house, including our bedrooms. We felt right at home and were treated as honoured guests the whole time we were there. I really can't wait for the next chance I get to visit Lisdonagh, I hope we'll make it soon.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank lisdoonan
Reviewed September 20, 2009

We have recently returned from a holiday in Ireland. We stayed at Lisdonagh House again.
The ambiance was great,an oasis of calm in a frantic world, and a wonderful location for exploring Galway and Connemara. It was lovely to wake up in the morning in the depths of the Irish countryside and see a beautiful view of Lough Hackett outside one’s window. The food was delicious and the baking was wonderful. Finola and John are great hosts and have a wonderful team. Our expectations were surpassed in every way. This is a heritage house with character. We were a party of eight and felt in the lap of luxury and also totally chilled out. We would definitely recommend it and will return at some point in the future.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 30, 2009

We stayed one night. 5 course dinner was really delicious, minimal wine choice but wine very reasonably priced. Breakfast fabulous, lots of fruit (raspberries, blackberries etc), jams, yoghurt and granola plus full irish breakfast cooked to order. Would have rated excellent overall, but found it quite pricey for current economic climate considering the lack of facilities eg a spa, pool etc (which I'd expect in this price bracket). However, Lisdonagh is very uniquely charming and we've recommended it to relatives who've also gone and loved it.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Travelling_Light
Reviewed July 15, 2009

The location, the owners website, inclusion in Ireland's Blue Book, all this would suggest Lisdonagh House as the ideal gathering place for a special family celebration. The reality was a huge disappointment all the greater for having seen all of this in advance. This owners of this place should be ashamed.
Gourmet cuisine was completely absent and had been replaced by cheap poor quality dishes - the 'special' dinner was just embarrassing. Breakfast was just a selection of cereal, fruit, bread and scones, nothing cooked at all.
Bedrooms, whilst impressive in size upstairs were small and damp downstairs. My room was well furnished with a great view, but it was poorly maintained. It had a broken hair dryer - dangerous in the bathroom with exposed wires - notified to owner but not rectified. It also had a broken child's bed which folded up with my son in it!
The owner whilst superficially courteous did not seem to care if we we happy or not despite the considerable amount paid for sole use of the property all weekend.
In short, this place was disappointing in the extreme and soured what should have been a very special weekend.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
6  Thank sennockred
cuke, Owner at Lisdonagh Manor House, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2009

We thank you for your review which is one of four relating to the same
booking First of all, let me say how very disappointed and surprised we are to read such negative comments which are at variance with the general satisfaction expressed at the time. Lisdonagh house is an early Georgian Heritage house which
has been restored to the highest Irish tourist board standard for a County house.
Accomodation is available on a room by room basis whereby one can book a room with breakfast and stay with unrelated guests OR It can be rented on an exclusive
Self-catering basis whereby only one party stays in the house. The latter option was selected by this party. In that arrangement, all additional services, supper , dinner etc are offered and charged on a per person basis The group organiser had indicated that the group was on a tight budget. She had expressed her absolute
satisfaction to me personally regarding both the dining experience for supper on the
friday night and dinner on the Saturday night. Naturally , it is distressing to read a different account subsequently. I can only surmise that there was a breakdown in communication between the group members which lead to dissatisfaction with everything. I would hope that anyone reading such negative comments would measure them against the other very positive reviews on your site.

Reviewed July 7, 2009

Contrary to some other reviews, I found Finola and John to be wonderful. They were gracious, always available and very helpful. My kids loved the horses and the walking was terrific. It was relaxing and perfect for an Ireland trip. We rented out the main house for our whole family.

The rooms are large and the home is beautiful. The food was great. Also, John helped get us set to fish right on the property and helped us ride many times. Even my 1 1/2 year old loved riding. Finola cooked wonderful dinners and breakfasts every day. We couldn't have been more pleased with the service. They were exceptionally kind to our very rambuncious children. Additionally, they set up dancers and singers for our final night at the house.

My only reservation in recommending this manor is that the rooms were simply not cleaned to a level that I find necessary. There were spiders and cobwebs in the corners. (Finola- get a better house keeper!). Also, we were a bit removed from activities. Galway was about 30 minutes away and Cong was about 20 minutes away. Although there is a cute little town, it's not much. That said, I loved that it was totally in the country and waking up to freshly baked muffins overlooking the horses was an amazing way to start the day!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank 4kidsintow
Reviewed August 5, 2008

We had a wonderful stay at Lisdonagh! Our family group of 23 rented out the entire property for a week and enjoyed every minute in the beautiful Irish countryside. The house has been restored with great care and attention to detail. Each room has its own unique charm furnished with antiques as well as modern comforts.

The owners Finola and John were so kind and made us feel very welcome. They wanted to make sure to allow our group privacy but were quick to help out whenever we had a question or need.

Although we cooked for ourselves for most of the week, we treated ourselves to two dinners prepared by the chef and only wish that we had done more! The dinners were delicious and were such a special treat allowing our group to simply enjoy our stay.

We would return in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank love2travel02
Also consider these accommodations in or near Caherlistrane
Anglers Rest Hotel
Glenlo Abbey Hotel
Glenlo Abbey Hotel
#1 of 1 in Bushypark
Corralea Court Hotel

Been to Lisdonagh Manor House? Share your experiences!