“Adequate”
Review of Clai Ban

Clai Ban
Ranked #9 of 20 Inishmore B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 21, 2008

We stayed for one night, and probably would not have stayed for a second if it had been booked. The location is relatively central, and the room was generally clean. The beds were hard, the pillows were thin and hard, the sheets were rough and the towels were threadbare and limited to one small towel per person. There were no toiletries; while I wasn't expecting luxury cosmetics, I've never stayed in a hotel or B & B that didn't provide at least bar soap. The toilet took forever to fill, so much so that one didn't want to flush it in the night because it would run for more than 10 minutes and prevent returning to sleep. Breakfast was "fine", not the worst but far from the best, and the coffee was dismal.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank quof

Reviewed July 4, 2008

We stayed one night. It's convenient (just a stone's throw from Joe Watty's pub, and a ten minute stroll to Kilronan), clean and comfortable. I think the towels are the softest in Ireland. It also has a small friendly black house dog named Guinness. We had an early ferry out and the owner cooked breakfast for us earlier than it was officially to be served, which was so thoughtful. Peek into the kitchen when you're there; it has beautiful views out the far end. Highly recommend. 35E pps when we stayed.

When you come off the ferry, walk up to the sweater market. You can keep going straight or turn right; take the right turn and walk for a bit, past the roosters and the bank on the left, and the church ruins on the right. You'll see a sign on the left for Clai Ban, a yellow house up on a rise. If you get to Joe Watty's you've gone a little too far.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank Nyssafur
Reviewed April 3, 2008

I stayed in Clai Ban the night of Saturday March 28th 2008. I was due to spend the night on the island that night and knowing it is easy to get a place to stay, specially in the off-season I left booking until the last minute. I rang five places. One was full, Clai Ban said they only had a family room left and three didn't answer the phone. Worrying I might not get somewhere to stay I rang back and booked the family room. I was told 'I could get €120 for that room but I'm giving it to you for €70'. Having read some good reviews I didn't mind spending the extra for what was obviously going to be a fabulous and spacious room.

On arrival there was no answer at the doorbell so I let myself in and was met in the hallway. I was told the key was in the room door and that I was free to come and go as I pleased. When I got to the room I went straight to bed for an hour as I had had a very rough boat crossing to the island. It was only when I awoke that I first noticed the cold. I checked the radiators and they were all off. I was in the top-right window as you look at the front of the house.

It was a "family room" because it had 3 beds in it. A double and two singles. I was certainly glad that I was not a family as we would have been on top of one another and I was elated that I had not agreed to pay €120 for the room as it was certainly not worth that. there was barely room for two to pass while walking around the three beds squeezed into the room. It was probably worth the €70 though, just about.

The only other problem that I had with the room was that the pillows were very fat and very hard. My neck was so twisted while sleeping on my side that I had to remove the pillow altogether.

Breakfast the next day was certainly generous with ample coffee, rashers, sausages, eggs, toast, etc. and more if I had wanted it. The people were generally friendly despite not having much by way of customer-service training; when I came down for an 8am breakfast having thought that 8am was what I had been told the previous day, I was assured in no uncertain terms that 8:30 was the time I had been told even though it was the man's wife who had told me and he had not been present. My mistake probably but no need for the tone.

This B&B would probably be a fine place to stay in the summer months when prices will be higher anyway and cold will not be an issue.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank skihol
Reviewed March 11, 2008

We were a group of 6 adults that travelled to the Aran Islands on the 20th of Feb 08,we went to inis mor, 4 a weekend break, Stayed at Clai Ban B&B, the owner there Bartley & his family were so lovely and so helpful , i would highly recommend to stay there, very clean,welcoming ,a deadly Full Irish brekky, and terrific location riight in the middle of kilronan village!! We hired bikes, visited the 5 pubs, had good traditional food, experienced local music and danced the night away with some of the locals!!!!!!!!!!! What a truely beautiful experience!!!! loved every minute of it!! Great Craic !!!!!!!!!!!!! Will be back in summer with the kids!!!!!

3  Thank girlytraveller
Reviewed June 24, 2007

We just returned from our stay at Clai Ban in Inishmore and found this to be one of the most delightful B&Bs in our whole trip to Ireland. The room was quite cheerful and comfortable. The view from our room was spectacular and the hosts are very gracious and down to earth folks. Overall we found this to be a great value.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank mveilleu
Reviewed May 7, 2007

Great little B&B! Ideal location 5-10 minutes walk from the main village on Island and two houses away from newly decorated pub (best in town, I think).
We stayed overnight and had double and twin rooms booked. Moderate size bedrooms, brand new bathroom (excellent hot shower). Pleasant breakfast in the morning; the host offered breakfast outside of regular hours if we had opted for 8.30 am ferry. The lounge was nicely decorated to create a warm cozy atmosphere (really feels like home)
Overall if it was a hotel I would have given it 3-4 stars. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2007
5  Thank Zhenjala
Reviewed August 21, 2006

We stayed in Clai Ban during a weekend trip to Inismore. Our room was well decorated, clean and cosy. Our host advised us on the restaturants in nearby Kilronan and we ate in Pier House (great sea food). Breakfast both mornings was substantial with the added value of traditional Irish music played by the owners children. Id stay there anytime.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Bailey130
Also consider these accommodations in or near Inishmore
Aran Islands Hotel
#5 of 20 in Inishmore
Kilmurvey House
Kilmurvey House
#2 of 20 in Inishmore

Been to Clai Ban? Share your experiences!