“Cross one off my 'bucket list'!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Dun Aonghasa

and up
Aran Islands Scenic Flight and Galway Tour from Dublin
Ranked #1 of 15 things to do in Inishmore
More attraction details
Owner description: Perched on a cliff overlooking the Atlantic Ocean, Dun Aonghasa is the largest of the prehistoric stone forts of the Aran Islands. It is enclosed by three massive dry-stone walls and a chevaux-de-frise consisting of blocks of limestone set vertically into the ground to deter attackers. Originally constructed c.1100BC, it was re-fortified around 700-800 AD. Excavations revealed significant evidence of prehistoric metalworking, as well as several burials.
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
106 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 219 helpful votes
“Cross one off my 'bucket list'!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

My wife and I visited Inishmore and Dun Aengus on Sept. 4, during our recent trip to Ireland. The ferry ride from Rossaveal was very nice- the ocean was relatively calm- and the weather was sunny. Once off the boat, a gentleman asked if we'd like a pony cart ride to the fort and we accepted. I'm sure we could have seen more on the island by taking one of the mini-van tours but we thought the pony cart ride would be memorable- and it was. The ride to the visitor center was very nice and we then walked up to the fort. It was just fabulous. I feel so fortunate to have been able to visit a place like this! I only wish we had been able to spend a little more time there. I highly recommend visiting Dun Aengus.

1 Thank DonnieOshkosh

• Korean first
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“A must see”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

Love it, its a must see. A little nervous but you cant visit the island without seeing this place. Would highly recommend it.

Visited August 2013
Ontario, Canada
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

we spent 2 nights on Inishmore and couldnt wait to see the fort. We rented bikes on the pier and made our way along the coast road. Wonderful scenery and biked past the seal colony. As you can only bike so far we left our bikes at the bottom of the hill to Dun Aengus and walked to the site. We made a point of arriving in the morning before the ferries arrived so it wasnt so crowded with the day tours. The fort is magnificent with steep cliffs and crashing waves. What a photo op.!! The 'energy' is awe inspiring as you just sit on the rocks and take it all in. We then made our way back to Kilronan by the middle island road......when I say I 'biked' on the island ..I think I spent more time walking my bike up hills than actually riding it......but sooooo worth it. An amazing experience I will never forget

1 Thank soozireland
Ancaster, Ontario, Canada
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Ancient”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

Breathtaking views of the ocean! Well worth the walk to see these ancient stone ruins! Use good and sturdy walking shoes.

Visited August 2013
Ontario's Highlands, Canada
66 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Breathtaking and Awe Inspiring”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

After a nasty start (weather wise), to the day, we braved the wild ferry ride, only to arrive on Inishmore to a sunny but windy day. We climbed to the top of this ancient ring fort and the views were spectacular. The crashing waves below made the fort seem even more majestic as one wonders how and why such a site was built there.