“My favorite”

6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“My favorite”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Well worth the walk. This fortress is every bit as beautiful as the more famous dun Aengus, but much less visited. We visited on a beautiful May day, at lunchtime, and had the fortress completely to ourselves. Spectacular! My favorite of the Inishmore ring forts.

Visited May 2013

Denver
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Splendid and off the beaten track”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Dun Duchathair was not only the highlight of our trip to the Aran Islands, but possibly of our whole trip to Ireland! This place is similar to Dun Aengus; somewhat smaller, but similar buildings. I think the cliff views are superior to Dun Aengus. You can go to the sea-facing side of the fort and see what is left of (what I think are) rooms that were built into the fort from long ago. One note: to go to the sea-facing side of the fort you have to walk through a small 2 foot gap between the fort and the cliff. It make me a bit nervous! :)

I really treasured the isolation. My husband and I never saw another person the whole time once we left town. Ask the locals for directions. You can walk up to the south side of the island on a road, but there is no path to the actual site and you will need to cut cross country. This is not a good idea for people who have trouble walking or are unstable.

In short, I highly recommend this peaceful and mysterious site.

Visited May 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Visit the Black Fort!”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Not very well sign posted but its well worth the trek to discover this hidden gem. An iron age ring fort located on the edge of a high cliff on the southern side of Inis Mór. You will be guaranteed stunning views of the ocean / cliffs and scenery with no other people around. Perfect to sit and take in the peace and mystery of the place!

Visited April 2013
1 Thank MAP2011
New York City, New York
699 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 427 helpful votes
“The Black Fort”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Overlooked gem. Better than Dun Aengus and untouched because the tour vans can't get there. In general it is better to do Inishmore by bike and on your own so that you can get to these tucked away places. Very peaceful and mystical place. Highly recommended.

Visited September 2012
4 Thank flaneur40
Brooklyn, New York
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Go! Go! Go!”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We found this to be a highlight of our stay. Breathtaking in getting there. And even more so once we arrived... alone with the ocean, the cliffs, the stones and the sky. Stay on the path there and back. Allow some extra time. Wear sturdy shoes. Don't go too close to the edge of the cliffs. And drink in the magnificent site. It's true, if you go there's a good chance you'll have this spot near the heavens all to yourself. Worth staying the night for.

Visited August 2012