“Convenient, Clean and Basic”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Abberley Court

and 1 more site!
Abberley Court
Ranked #1 of 1 Tallaght B&B and Inns
Dublin, Ireland
“Convenient, Clean and Basic”
Reviewed May 3, 2008

Tallaght is an urban residential area near Dublin. This hotel is convenient as it is right beside the light rail system, and within 5 mins walk of a large shopping mall. We stayed in the self catering apartment section, which had two huge double bedrooms, two bathrooms, large lounge, and well fitted kitchen. Everything was clean, everything worked, and although it was inexpensively furnished, it was fine for the purpose of our stay.

There are very few toiletries supplied, and there are no dishwasher tablets, dishcloths, or cleaning materials. This is important because if you leave unwashed dishes there is a supplement of € 25 so remember to bring your own. You are expected to leave the apartment as you found it (except for making up the beds) and they will charge you if you leave the place in a mess.

Apart from that, it was good value, and the staff were obliging enough to install an extra bed at no charge.

Not a place to spend a vacation, but if you need a base near Dublin for the family, then it is fine.

• Liked — Big accomodation for family group, and very convenient
  • Disliked — Nothing really
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Czech first
New Zealand
Reviewed March 24, 2008

I was working in Tallaght, Dublin over a 2 week period from the end of February 08 through to mid March.

I booked a one bedroom apartment for my stay but got upgraded to a 2 bedroom apartment on arrival which meant my empty bags got a room to themselves :)

The Abberley Court Hotel manages the Abberley Court apartments (apartments are opposite the Hotel). The initial reception was fine and check in was no problem. Parking (included as part of the stay) was in the parking building (level 4 and above) in the same block as the apartments.

The room (see pictures) was well appointed and very comfortable. There was a large flat screen TV included in the room and a nice balcony (weather was too cold to use that). The kitchen was well set up and included a dishwasher, refrigerator and washing machine.

The main Tallaght shopping centre is close by and has a supermarket and all of the usual food outlets which makes buying supplies quick, easy and convenient.

The West Park Gymnasium is close by and offers good short term rates for people visiting the area. The West Park Gym is very well fitted out and offers a great service.

One thing that absolutely intrigued me was a lovely little notice in the room stating that a dirty kitchen bench would result in a 25 euro charge, a dirty fridge 50 euro and so on. I thought that this notice indicated a nickel and dime approach to service and lowered the tone of the accommodation somewhat.

Guests staying in the apartments should be aware that servicing appears to be something they only do when people check out or if someone wants to pay 50 euro for. This combined with a total lack of cleaning items (broom, brushes etc) would mean that an apartment could get quite dirty for people on extended stays. I feel that this servicing policy is leading to the wear and tear on the apartments being higher than you would normally expect and it is likely they will become worn quickly. It is also likely that items like beds and bathroom linen are being used far longer than would be normal in a hotel or serviced apartment. My apartment was serviced during my stay because I raised the issue but I was not impressed by the lack of a means to clean it.

Although internet connectivity (wireless) was included in the apartment tariff it was less than satisfactory and caused considerable problems with my laptop. I travel extensively and connect to many different networks all around the world. The Abberley Court network is in a category all by itself - it was rubbish and no one was particularly interested in doing anything about it and even at check out the staff were just not interested.

Getting your car back into the car park after 10pm involves negotiating with the security staff that seem to be working to a different set of rules from the Hotel. By the way they carried on anyone would think it was the biggest inconvenience in the world to press a button to open the security door.

A final point to note is that there is a fair amount of 'yob' behaviour in the area and the night club in the Hotel seems to attract low life from all sorts of gutters. I personally found it a bit distasteful to see the left overs from the previous night (weekends mainly) on the pavement and things like broken windows in shops next to the Hotel (kicked in by patrons). There were piles of cigarette butts around all of the doorways to the main Hotel and the entrance to the car park building always smelled of stale eastern European cigarettes.

• Liked — Convenience to Tallaght
  • Disliked — Lack of servicing and local yobs using the night club
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
England
Reviewed February 19, 2008

Was recently visiting friends in Tallaght and stayed at The Abberley Court Hotel.

The staff there are very helpful and friendly and nothing was a problem for them.

The room was spacious, bright and clean- they have mini refrigerators in the room which was pretty cool especially when you need a cold drink after a few pints...

They had a DVD player in the room but mine didnt work, when I told reception (didn't want to be blamed) they brought me another one.

Overall had a good time in Tallaght,, lots of Bars and Restaurants within walking distance of the Hotel and the Luas was just a few minutes walk away.

The Chinese Restaurant in the Hotel was excellant and had great craic in the Hotel Lounge with the natives...
I didn't get up for breaky but my girlfriend tucked in on both mornings...

Great Hotel, would definately reccomend - we will be back!!!

• Liked — Great Location and helpful staff
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
Ireland
Reviewed February 10, 2008

Rooms clean and quiet; night time staff pleasant but that's where the positives ended for me. I recently booked two night here to attend a local conference. I was given no information about the unusual parking arrangements on check-in, so I arrived back at 11pm to find myself locked OUT of the car-park. Eventually Security let me in, but then I found myself locked IN to the car park. I rang the hotel desk, and eventually again Security arrived to rescue me. Couple that experience with the fact that TV remote and bath plugs are kept at reception until requested - I will NOT be staying here ever again.

• Liked — pleasnat and helpful eveing staff
  • Disliked — unhelful registration staff
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
australia
Reviewed January 11, 2007

handy location and fantastic breakfast.be careful if you are on a budget as the chinese restraunt is overpriced.shops and supermarkets very handy, and the laas tram is a good cheap ride into dublin.parking is handy and the rooms are well fitted and reasonabley quiet for a pub

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — front desk/check-out problems
  • Tips/Secrets — dont eat in
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank ted58
Derry
Reviewed November 5, 2006

We recently stayed at this hotel courtesy of Supervalu Breaks and the first problem we encountered was the unhelpfulness of one Receptionist in particular. Firstly we had parked in what I had thought was the Hotel parking spaces but when I noticed the clamping signs an hour later and asked the Receptionist she only then told me not to park there and instructed me of the Hotel parking in the car park opposite. During our stay this receptionist seemed to get annoyed at every query and request.

As for the Restaurant [ advertised as Chinese ] I can only say that it was simply one of the worst that I've eaten in. Because we were on a Supervalu break we were given a special menu and what we got resembled and tasted like a boil in the bag meal. On our last morning we went down to the restaurant for our breakfast and found very little left [ this was 9.00 am ] 2 pieces of bacon, 1 half a fried egg some sausages some dried out black and white pudding and 3 hash browns dried out. Some beans and that was it! We sat down to await some fresh food but the waitress eagerly told us to "help yourself". It was only when we pointed out that there was nothing left to help ourselves to, that the Chef brought out some more food. 2 more of everything. When others came down and we watched as the staff put out food according to the numbers present we realised that this was an attempt to save money. I've only seen worse in Bulgaria.

On the up side the rooms were clean and had coffee/ tea making facilities, but I don't think we'll be staying at this hotel again.

• Liked — Found nothing to recommend
  • Disliked — The Staff and Restaurant
  • Tips/Secrets — Go else where
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
6 Thank Derri
Weymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2006

Stayed at the Abberley apartments, directly opposite the hotel in a pedestrianised road. Brand new with a few initial teething problems but nothing to lose sleep over. Noisy hotel nightclub opposite but OK if you sleep at the back.

The apartment is well furnished and a has a nicely fitted kitchen.

The Luas tram is a bit of fun but would lose its attraction after about three days. A taxi back from Temple Bar costs around 20 Euro.

There are two bars and a Chinese restaurant in the hotel and we saw an Indian restaurant, chip shop and MacDonalds all within a short walk.

We stayed here as we needed to be this side of town (Ryder Cup) but we would look at staying in the city centre on a future trip.

However if you need to be in this part of town, The Abbeley Court fits the bill.

Stayed September 2006
3 Thank Whenever
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tallaght
Glashaus Hotel
#4 of 7 in Clondalkin
Ibis Dublin
Ibis Dublin
#5 of 7 in Clondalkin

Been to Abberley Court? Share your experiences!