“Wonderful service in a beautiful setting”

Redbank Guest House
Ranked #4 of 6 Skerries B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 11, 2010

The accommodation at the Redbank is second to none. Rooms are light, airy and well-equipped, at incredibly reasonable prices. The breakfasts are wonderful. The staff know how to look after people properly, and the service is fantastic. Not for nothing is the restaurant an award winner. For that special treat it is truly lovely - amazing food, although you couldn't afford it every night of the week. Look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 27, 2010

My husband and I spent our last night in Ireland at the Redbank. The room was large and tastefully decorated. The bed was the most comfortable in the 2 weeks of traveling. The food was delicious and more then we were accustomed to eating. Te town was relaxing and friendly. The only drawback was finding the b&b from the train station but a nice gentleman gave us a ride to the front dor and the problem solved. I definitely would stay again.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 25, 2010

We took the train from Dublin (30mins.) to Skerries for our last afternoon and evening in Ireland. Their website advertises a special for Sunday lunch and one night's stay. It's worth it, as the lunch is quite an experience and you certainly won't want to go anywhere or do anything strenuous afterwards. They serve "lunch" on Sundays at a leisurely pace from 1 to 4 pm. I particularly liked being invited into the sitting room to read the newspapers and ponder the menu to begin. The staff takes the orders for lunch in that room, and then guests are shown to their tables when the first course is ready to be served. We watched the shadows creep up the wall of the historic bank building as we moved from course to course in the intimate dining room. The food was excellent.

Skerries is a sleepy little seaside town. It's enough to brave the wind and walk along the beach after lunch, perhaps take a tour of the windmills if there's time, and call it a day.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 23, 2010

We stayed at the Redbank on the last night before going back home to Canada. It was a great decision on our part. Our room was very beautiful and comfortable (and had the only real bathtub we saw over our 10 days in Ireland). The Guest house is located in the middle of Skerries, which is a pleasant suburb of Dublin, 20 min from the airport (30 euro cab ride). The town offers a nice boardwalk along the beach, some fine restaurants and pubs and lovely quiet streets to walk around when you need to decompress after a long journey. We also ate our last dinner at their restaurant, which we HIGHLY recommend. It may be one of the best meals we have EVER had. Plus, it's not everyday the chef comes out of the kitchen to say hi and ask how our trip was...! This is one of those little hidden gem that is worth a detour. We both felt that Dublin was overrated, and the accomodations expensive for what they were. The Redbank costs as much as a private room in a HOSTEL in Dublin, but feels more like a great 3-star hotel. A MUST.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 19, 2010

Fawlty Towers was at least funny. The whole place stank of fish from the adjoining restaurant. The only positive thing I could say is that it was mostly clean but the shower curtain was a bit mouldy, the counter in the bathroom was broken and the ceiling light was hanging out. Other than that I agree with all the negative comments. If you're expecting that famous Irish welcome you won't get it here. Very disappointed and ripped off. If you must stay there at least ask for a room at the back. I also don't like having to say exactly what time I'll have my breakfast, when I'm on holidays I like to take it easy and go with the flow.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
5  Thank irenkagermany
Reviewed May 17, 2010

having been to Ireland many times over the years we usually stay with family. This is one of the few times we opted not to, esp. in the Dublin area.
I scoured the websites of all the hotels and Trip Advisor and read all the reviews. (My Mother is quite particular in her standards for accomodations.)
I came upon the Red Bank Guesthouse while assisting my cousin in deciding on a restaurant for a family celebration, that we were going to be attending. I noticed that they had accomodations and looked into the rates and availablity.
As noted by another reviewers unless you have a car this place is not exactly easy to get to. We arrived at Dublin airport at 5 am after direct flight from NYC. After getting out rental car adventure we were on the road by 6:30 am. It was raining and dark. If you've never driven in Ireland - lets just say that you'll be a round about expert by the time you get to Skerries. :-)
We arrived way before our anticipated arrival time. Only the night manager was there - a foregin woman who spoke little english. Because we were early she said we would have to wait for the day manager to arrive. She offered us coffee/tea.
The day manager arrived about 20 min later and after we ate a hearty Irish breakfast, settled us in our rooms. Rooms were very clean, nicely decorated and comfortable. I was given a room that was equiped with handicap accessable bathroom. The other rooms on our reservation were also nicely decorated and very clean. All our rooms were on the ground floor and off the street. We could see into the kitchen of one room. (They might want to put up some type of screening for the view, but it really wasn't that bad. We weren't staying in the place for a view.) We stayed for two nights. I found the bed very comfortable - I have a bad back but had no problems with the mattress quality. Breakfast is included in most of the advertised rates.

I enquired of the day manager about parking situation. How much was it for a certain period of parking time. They have meters along the street as the Guesthouse is located along a secondary commercial road. This Guesthouse and its restaurant (excellent!!) are located in converted space in a older area of Skerries and therefore when these building were built cars probably didn't exisit. Anyway, she said they had just gotten their allotment of parking permits. You pay (5 euro?) and then display the permit for the time specified instead of feeding the meter. This permit allowed us to park all day without worry. The permit worked out great for our first day since we slept and explored Skerries by foot.

Guests are asked when they would like breakfast - your given a bout a 1/2 window of time so if you say 8 am you can arrive between 7:45 and 8:15 am this is so that everyone doesn't come in at once and there will be no table or a have to wait for a hot breakfast.
Chef Owner Terry McCoy was happy to come out and speak with us. He also was happy to make modifications to the menu based on dietary needs and request as long as it was something that wasn't too outlandish. For example I requested a ham, egg and cheese on a croissont. (typical American, right? LOL) He did just great fulfilling the request. Others in our party raved about the salmon and eggs - made to order. Lots of fresh juice, yogurt, coffee, tea, cold cereal and fruit.
I had trouble with the TV in my room - and I reported it and upon our return that afternoon it was fixed. The internet access was available in the room. Without a laptop I was able to check yahoo and hotmail, using the basic setup via the TV.
The reception area had fax and copier...they don't have a full Business Ceter but would do in a pinch. Has a few business travlers staying there during our time staying at the guesthouse.
We stayed at a few other Guesthouses and B&B during this trip to Ireland and everyone kept comparing them to our stay at the Red Bank. We would happliy stay here again. Will be recommending it to others.

Great local Pub just down the street and there is a nice Fish and Chip take away on the main street. We found the restaurants on the Harbor a little overpriced for the quality.

Skerries has a walking path for a heart healthy Ireland initative, we found out later that most of the towns and villages have these marked paths, its a good way to get out and see the local area. It goes along the harbor and the bay area long the beach. For dog lovers this was great to see all the doggies out there having fun in the surf. For my mom who grew up in Dublin, reacalled coming to Skerries as a child during the summers. The library serves as a good place for local information.
Visit Skerries Mills - has nice Tea room/shop with a good locally made lunch, the view of the bay is a great one from the windmill on the hill. (if the locals are eating there then it must be good)
Also recommend a visit Ardgillan Castle in Balbriggan - the view of the Bay is absolutely breaktaking.
Newbridge House and Demse in Donabate has a absolutely fabulous Tea room another good place for lunch even if you don't do the tour. Freshly made cakes and pies - homemade cooking.
Of course you have to eat at the Red Bank Restaurant - So worth it!!!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank NewburghNY
Reviewed March 18, 2010

As a surprise for our 10th year anniversary, I took my husband to Ireland for two weeks. The plan was to stay the first night in or near Dublin as you are required to give a physical address to the authorities (customs?) as to where you will be going, and then drive the Island for two weeks. So after looking the reviews over for the Redbank Guest House and finding a great deal($40.00 USD /nt /room only/ no meal) I decided that this was the place we would try on our first night. It was lovely and we were not disappointed at all. It is quaint and not that that impressive on the outside, however the rooms were cozy and decorated nice enough. I have stayed in much worse for much more money. I am not sure that it would be worth the full amount with the meal, since we did not eat there. We ate at some of the local restaurants and bought groceries at the local grocery mart down the street. After driving for a week, when in Galway we had to decide between continuing on to the northern half of the Island or going back to Skerries. Dealing with the exchange rate worsening throughout our trip and not knowing what was ahead we decided to go back to a place that we really liked. So we headed back to Skerries and stayed the rest of our time in Ireland at the Redbank. The rest of our vacation was so relaxing that we look back on our time in Skerries as the best part of our trip. We took day trips to a local castle type house and walked the gardens(very beautiful), a trip to Newgrange and Dowth(not too be missed) and every night we went to the pub 2 or 3 doors down from the guest house. The local seals even graced us with their presence(although I hear they are their quite often). The bath water in the hotel comes out very fast. If you use the body soap they provide you will have some of the best bubble baths ever! There were 2 downsides.One was that their wi-fi was not very strong. As wi-fi is not as easy to come by in Ireland as in the states, this was a bit frustrating. The other was that the beds were so very hard, which is not good for someone with back problems. But then again, every single bed in Ireland is hard. At least everyone we got. But in all a wonderful time.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank avalonk1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skerries
Bracken Court Hotel
2 mi away
Woodview Farmhouse
Woodview Farmhouse
#1 of 1 in Skerries

Been to Redbank Guest House? Share your experiences!