“Not sure if I would recommend!!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Finnstown Castle Hotel

Finnstown Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lucan
cork
“Not sure if I would recommend!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2011

Stayed in the FInnstown House Hotel for one night this weekend. I don't think I would go back. Myself and my boyfriend stayed here courtesy of a Christmas present from my family. While some parts of the hotel were lovely, particulary the drawing room where we had drinks, other parts were not so great. The room where we stayed which was across the road from the hotel was completely outdated. It was clean however it badly needs to be renovated. Curtains, tv, bathroom, kitchenette part all look like they have been there for a few hundred years!! Not quite the luxury we were expecting.
We were really excited about relaxing in the swimming pool in the afternoon but I have to say that it was such a let down. I couldnt bring myself to have a shower in the changing rooms after, I left that until I went back to my room because the showers looked so unappealing there. The pool area is so shabby, its like a shed. The "turkish baths" was simply a steam room which didnt work properly . Spent ten mins in there instead of the planned hour as it was so awful.
Had lovely meal in the bar Saturday night however the staff were a little all over the place. When I asked what the catch of the day was the waiter said "I dont have a clue I've just been sent up here!!"....and he didnt bother to go and find out!!!
The breakfast staff were very friendly although the breakfast was very messy. A wedding party from the previous night were very loud and intoxicated so it was hard to relax and enjoy the food.
Its a pity really coz the hotel itself could be fab

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
FinnstownHouseHotel, General Manager at Finnstown Castle Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2011
Dear socksocks,
Thank you for taking the time to review Finnstown Country House hotel. I was very dissappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay at the hotel. We do have several different types of rooms which are located between 3 buildings within our complex, we do try to allocate guests on their preferences and their requirments for the room. I am terribly sorry that the room did not meet with your expectations. The leisure centre is small and we are currently looking at making structural changes to this building. I was dissappointed to hear that you found one of our members of staff unhelpful when trying to place an order. We pride ourselves on the service that we give to our guests and will be conducting corrective training with all staff on the issues you encountered. We did have a large wedding party who had breakfast on the Sunday morning. I apologize if any of these guests caused you distress.

If you would like to discuss any of the points further I would appreciate if you contact me personally at the hotel.

The issues you experienced during your stay are very much the exception and not the rule here and I sincerly hope you try the hotel again to give us the opportunity to show this to you.

Barry Maher

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2011

I stayed at Finnstown last weekend with my husband and three children. I was really surprised at how lovely it was, as particularly when you travel with children, accomodation can be disappointing to say the least.
We had been worried prior to our arrival, as we knew our room was not in the main body of the old house, and so feared it would be some awful 1980's boxy room miles away from the hotel itself.
However the room was situated in an original building close to the hotel,- very large with ample space for us all. The furniture and fittings were attractive and the beds comfortable.
The hotel offered a nice bar menu at reasonable prices, and although we didn't dine in the Restaurant, I heard other guests raving about the food there. Breakfasts were fantastic with an extensive choice of cooked items, and staff were charming and very hospitable. (and didn't glare at our kids like they shouldn't be there!)
We used the pool a couple of times and though quite small was clean and pleasant.
All in all a really lovely stay, and in lovely surroundings with great staff. Will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
FinnstownHouseHotel, General Manager at Finnstown Castle Hotel, responded to this review, February 22, 2011
Dear mocm68,

Thank you for taking the time to review Finnstown Country House Hotel. I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay at Finnstown. We have alot of families that stay with us during weekends and school holidays and the staff work very hard to make sure children are given the same attention and professional service as all other groups of customer.

Thank you for the comments on our bar menu, we have recently changed this menu to have a wider selection and priced it to give customers a cheaper more informal option of dinning in the hotel.

Our restaurant is extremely popular locally and because of the hard work of the staff in the area we have built up a great reputation for food and service.

I hope to see you on your return when i hope you will have the chance to try our restaurant.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2011

This is my first time to comment on a restaurant or hotel ( so bear with me ) but we felt we had to after our visit to the restaurant in Finnstown House Hotel. My husband and I had not made a booking as we initially went to try the bar food but after looking at the restaurant menu we decided to enquire. A lovely lady Irena met us in the restaurant and happily prepared a table for us, some people may have a problem with foreign staff but I think this lady may have worked in a top hotel before ( very courteous ) .

Firstly the menu is varied and very affordable something really for everyone, I am not a drinker but there was no problem with my husband getting a drink from the bar. The starter and main course where surprisingly nice and we had tea & coffee to follow, there was quite a buzz in the restaurant and the staff kept us entertained ( especially Frank! A scream ) and well looked after.

We would highly recommend a visit and will plan to come again.

1 Thank dh37
FinnstownHouseHotel, General Manager at Finnstown Castle Hotel, responded to this review, February 9, 2011
Dear dh37,
Thank you for taking the time to review Finnstown House Hotel. I was delighted to hear of your experience in our Peacock Restaurant, we are very proud of the standard of food and service we deliver in our outlets and we are lucky enough to have great staff such as Irena and Frank who work very hard to help every guest have a memorable experience. Both staff members were very happy to see their hard work did not go unnoticed and the review has really given them a huge boost.

I am glad you found the selection and pricing on the menu to be good as we have recently changed our menu with both these factors in mind, we love all feedback on this to help ourselves improve for the future and stay ahead of our competition.

I look foward to seeing you on your return where you could try out the rest of our facilities we have on offer.

Castlebar, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2011

I went to Finnstown house with my boyfriend after being given a voucher as a Christmas present. Having read some quite negative reviews I was rather dubious about our impending one nights stay but I must say I was very pleasantly surprised! The house is stunning and the staff are very friendly. The bedroom was situated in the main house and even though this hotel is classified as a three star, it was of four star quality.
We didn't have dinner here but the breakfast was top class and service was excellent and served with a smile!
The only negative thing was that we couldn't have stayed for longer!
I would definitely recommend Finnstown house to anyone. It would particularly suit those looking for a relaxing and/or romantic break.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
FinnstownHouseHotel, General Manager at Finnstown Castle Hotel, responded to this review, January 26, 2011
Dear trish9235,
Thank you for taking the time to review Finnstown Country House Hotel. I was very pleased we were able to exceed your expectations. The hotel did go under a refurbishment just over 3 years ago which seen all the bedrooms modernised with new bathrooms, air conditioning, flat screen tv's, wireless internet and new bedroom furnishings. I hope to welcome you back again in the future when you might get an opportunity to try our AA Rosette award winning Peacock Restaurant.

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2011

Stayed in a Golf suite room with our dog which would also be ideal for families. Lovely country house feel to the place with really pleasant staff. Food is good and customer service excellent. We'll come back here again - our dog loved it!

Dear NickerDublin,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Finnstown Country House Hotel. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. At Finnstown we take pride in the service and products we provide to our guests. We do consider ourselves to be a bit of a hidden gem in the South Dublin area and hope you let everyone know about your stay. I look foward to welcoming you back to Finnstown in the future.

ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2011

Stayed here on a city deal break for great value. It is a lovely, clean hotel. The staff are friendly and helpful. Food in the bar was really tasty and good value. The pool is a bit outdated but overall a nice, realxing break.

dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2011

We stayed here on a city deal rate and were delighted with our one night stay. Great room with two king sized beds (2 adults and 2 children). Bar food, service and atmosphere were all great. Lovely relaxing evening spent there. Breakfast was really nice with friendly service. Pool is small and a bit dated but perfect for children. Would def recommend to others.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Dear kaci,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Finnstown Country House Hotel. Myself and my staff were delighted reading your review of our property. We are constantly trying to improve our product and offerings, it gives all of us a real boost to hear such positive feedback. I hope to see you again on your return

Barry Maher
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucan
Clontarf Castle Hotel
#1 of 1 in Celbridge
Crowne Plaza Dublin - Blanchardstown
Castleknock Hotel & Country Club
Clarion Hotel Liffey Valley

Been to Finnstown Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!