“Can't believe it is only 3 star!!!!!! Should be 4.”

Finnstown Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lucan
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Can't believe it is only 3 star!!!!!! Should be 4.”
Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed our 2 day stay in finnstown country house. All the staff are so friendly and pleasant starting with reception through to bar staff and restaurant. Bedrooms are clean, large and well furnished. Plenty of sitting areas ie bars, drawing room, library etc. We loved the thousands of photos and pictures and bits and pieces of furniture on every wall and in every corner. The outside has some work happening at the moment in the gardens but the rest was lively to walk round. And the drive is so impressive. There is a smallish pool and well equipped gym although we did not use it this time.All the food we had there was absolutely delicious.
We did go there witha voucher but would definitely go back.
It is also close enough to get into Dublin for those shoppers. We did like Lucan village although we did not spend very long in it.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
FinnstownHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Finnstown Castle Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear Linda S,

Thank you for your great review following your stay with us.

I am delighted to read that you had such a good experience with us and how you enjoyed your stay at Finnstown. This is what exactly what we strive to achieve for all our guests so it’s wonderful to get such lovely feedback.

Thanks again for taking the time to post your review & we look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Terry O’ Brien

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Stayed here two nights for a friends wedding, the staff couldnt be more welcoming and friendly, lovely bar area with huge comfy seats and an open fire. I am a coeliac and had no problems ordering food, I got the beef and the chef made me a gluten free gravy, was beautiful. Room was huge, beds very cosy and room was lovely and warm, huge ensuite, hair dryer in room, tea/coffee facilities and a wee fridge which was very handy. Breakfast was great, everything you would need and staff went out of their way to help with gluten free toast and I even got gluten free pancakes one morning! Couldnt fault our stay at all, well done finnstown hotel.

Room Tip: No one in the wedding party had any complaints, lovely rooms
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
FinnstownHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Finnstown Castle Hotel, responded to this review, March 23, 2014
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the lovely review and for taking the time to tell us of your experience with us here at Finnstown Country House Hotel.

I look forward to sharing your kind words with the entire team here who will join me in thanking you.

I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel for another memorable stay.

Thank you again for your kind words.

wATERFORD CITY
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Stayed here for an over night stay. Check in was fast and efficient and my room was ready. There was a big log fire in the enterence and it made the hotel very friendly. Room was big with a good size bed .Bathroom and shower are was small however it was clean Tea and coffee was available in the room as was a good size TV . Decided to have a meal from the bar food menu. I thought the main course selection was poor so I decided on the chef special of turkey and ham. Service was quick however the meal was not very well presented and was not value for money. The bar are is of old world style but was comfortable to have a drink . Breakfast was buffet style and there was a very good selection of hot food and cereal. The staff were very helpful when having breakfast even though they were busy.
Good things about this hotel includes free wifi in all areas ,and a free newspaper in the morning.
Improvements need around the presentation and value of the bar menu.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Berlitz
FinnstownHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Finnstown Castle Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Dear Berlitz,

Thank you for taking the time to post your honest review on TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us at Finnstown.

I was very happy to read of your overall experience with us here at the hotel. I am glad to see that our open fire works well and does add to the warm welcome you receive upon arrival to the hotel. However, I will certainly pass on your comments regarding the Bar Menu and presentation to the kitchen for review.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Best,
Kilkenny, Ireland
Reviewed March 11, 2014

We booked a family room on otel.com for 1 night at around 90€ breakfast included and the first disappointment was to find out the hotel site is offering 2 nights family room with breakfast at 99€!
the reception staff was friendly and told us our room was across the garden in a separate building. The room itself is spacious but dated and tired, bathroom is a bit substandard for a 3 stars hotel i.e. discolouration on bath joints, flickering light and toilets flush ready to collapse! Back to the bedroom the wallpaper was scratched at some places and some of the furniture stained.The TV channels are lacking children channels as my daughter of 3 find out she could only watch CBBC...We liked the kettle + tea + coffee but 3 biscuits is a bit cheap and its lacking the feeling we were taken care of. The beds are average quality and we slept quite good, don't forget to look for extra pillows as I found one only was not comfy
About the food, we had bar food on our arrival , the service was good the food too but nothing outstanding ,the menu is overpriced for what it is i.e. 4€ for a small bowl of onion rings, a total bill of 50€ for 2 adults and one child,main course only...
The breakfast in the morning was OK but again nothing outstanding with a few let-downs like over salty rashers or over cooked croissants
Overall the experience was fine, room for improvement, not value for money , situation of the hotel not great (i had to drive to Dublin city centre for 9:30 and it took me almost 1h!)
We will probably choose another hotel for a next stay

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Dragibus2014
Dublin
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Absolutely great value! Me and 2 friends got this hotel on hotelsireland for €30 each for an overnight stay and breakfast and it was so worth it. The triple room was really spacious and clean (apart from a little mark or two on the wall). The grounds are very well kept and lovely for a little stroll around. The staff are really friendly, accommodating and personable and so pleasant in the breakfast area in the morning. We got lovely fresh pancakes.. after we'd pigged out on a tasty buffet.
The rooms through the walls are a little noisy but we were drunk enough not to notice too much!
Will be back in May for round 2

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Hi emcs06,

I hope this mail finds you well.

Thank you for taking time out to review your recent stay with us.

It’s very refreshing to read more positive comments about the staff. They really are the heart of the operation here at the hotel and I will be sure to pass on your comments for all to enjoy.

I am delighted to hear you will be back again & look forward to seeing you in May.

Reviewed March 10, 2014

Cant say Ive ever stayed here but I did try to book a room for my friends birthday which was booked in here. We don't live in the area so we needed a room.

I called up and was told there were 2 rooms still available but I needed to call back at 7.00am. I duly called back and was told there was only one room left, I said thats fine I only need one, I was asked for the name of the bride, I had already explained it was a birthday event. When I repeated that he said they had no rooms.

I can take an honest no rooms but this was neither honest or polite, so I can honestly say I will never stay here. I have favourite hotels in Dublin anyway and I will stay there. The Merrion is an outstanding hotel with marvellous staff, both polite and honest.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear labella102,

Thank you for your mail.

I am very sorry but also surprised to learn of your experience when you attempted to make a reservation here with us at Finnstown Country House Hotel. This is most certainly not standard procedure at the hotel.

If you would be so kind as to contact me directly I can get the finer details from you, such as the date you were looking to book in for etc. I can then investigate this matter. You can contact me directly on terry@finnstown-hotel.ie

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

We do look forward to welcoming you to the hotel for your friend’s birthday event.

Regards,
Ireland
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I stayed here a long time ago for a wedding, so when the opportunity came up to stay again I took it. We were organising a business event that spread meetings out over two days and involved about a dozen of us staying overnight.

The rates initially quoted were only ok, but we negotiated them down a little to a reasonable price. They were happy to negotiate, which is always welcome.

Reception is only ok; I had a couple of occasions where I required assistance and there was always a queue. The bar is very nice, and well stocked, although the tap display is enormous and actually makes drinking at the bar unpleasant. We used the restaurant for an event dinner, and everyone complimented the food, and again for breakfast, which was excellent. The rooms were very good, spacious and comfortable, although the TV channel choice was poor. The bed and bathroom were excellent. the halls and corridors, and general decor throughout, are ever-so-slightly-faded, but still very good. Paintings on the walls are often hung at odd angles, or juxtaposed bizarrely, so the overall impression is one of contained chaos. The grounds are very pleasant, better than most, with an impressive entrance and avenue that makes you feel you have actually arrived somewhere. There was a pool and gym, I didnt use either, but was told by many colleagues that while they were delighted to get the chance of a dip, the pool was too small to exercise properly.

Staff were helpful, if occasionally a little abrupt on the phone when making arrangements. Overall, I would certainly recommend Finnstown, but be prepared to negotiate on the price first.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
FinnstownHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Finnstown Castle Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Dear Cathalr_99,

Thanks for taking the time to share your recent stay with us on TripAdvisor.

It is very refreshing to read your positive comments and I will be sure to pass onto them team for all to enjoy. However, I am disappointed to learn that there were some points in which you were unhappy with. I will certainly highlight these comments for the different departments to review.

You will be please to know that we do have some exciting plans for the hotel in the coming months to include an upgrade of our Leisure Centre and Swimming Pool.

I do hope we can welcome you back as a guest of Finnstown in the near future.

Terry O’ Brien
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucan
Clontarf Castle Hotel
#1 of 1 in Celbridge
Crowne Plaza Dublin - Blanchardstown
Clarion Hotel Liffey Valley
Castleknock Hotel & Country Club

Been to Finnstown Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!