Tripadvisor
Post
Inbox
Search
1,833 results
All reviews blanchardstown shopping centre phoenix park spa treatments bar food lovely hotel relaxing break leisure facilities executive room steam room lobby area dublin city following morning wedding ireland slippers
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My sister arrived from the UK to celebrate our Mum's Birthday. We surprised her with lunch at the Earth and Vine Restaurant at the Castleknock Hotel. The restaurant is nice and bright with lovely views and we were fortunate that afternoon as the sun shone to add to the ambience in the dining-room. From start to finish we enjoyed a delicious lunch! Mum's soup was not as hot a she would have liked and that was rectified immediately and to make up for it they straight away offered her a complimentary side with her main course. It was much appreciated. Eoin and Leanna were looking after us. They were so warm, friendly and efficient without being intrusive or rushing us. To Mum's delight the Restaurant Manager and staff surprised her by serenading and presenting her with a Birthday cake. It was a lovely touch as just as she was sitting down at the table initially, I mentioned to Leanna she was the Birthday girl. In all honesty it was a beautiful and memorable afternoon for all of us, made special by the wonderful staff and food. We will most definitely be back and I believe the afternoon tea is another delight.

Date of stay: January 2020
Andy9832, General Manager at Castleknock Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear FellowTraveler671701,

Thank you for the TripAdvisor review. Delighted that the birthday was a great success and the Earth & Vine team will be overjoyed with the feedback.

We are looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed January 17, 2020

As soon as I arrived in the reception I noticed several signs that got me worried: the receptionist had the nails not taken care of, the ceiling had stains of dirt and a strange smell of urine.
Elevator the doors were dirty with finger marks and hair hanging from the ceiling.
Room the doors were dirty, the wardrobes dirty.
And upset I took the decision not to stay.
I went to the reception, and asked for the refund but was told that I would have to pay the first night by the manager, he was arrogant, didn’t accept the fact that the hotel was dirty and smelled bad and even argued with me.
Don’t recommend this hotel to anyone.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank guidap2017

Dear guidap2017,

Firstly, I'd like to thank you for taking the time to communicate your thoughts on your recent stay with us.

I believe that I speak on behalf of my colleagues when I say that we were very disappointed to read about your recent experience at our hotel.

We take great pride in the cleanliness of the hotel which is maintained at an extremely high level and that all our staff nothing but professional while dealing with our guests.

Reviewed January 17, 2020

Good sauna/jacuzzi, rooms are spacious, great bar/food & lovely staff. Beds are a little uncomfortable and it is well outside the city, but overall a great hotel. we used the venure for a team meeting (40 people) and it was perfect for such an occasion.

• Trip type: Traveled on business
Andy9832, Guest Relations Manager at Castleknock Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear GavinLynam,

Thank you for your recent visit to Castleknock Hotel. Delighted that you had a great stay and do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed January 13, 2020 via mobile

My husband bought me a voucher in December 2018 for the hotel and also one for the spa. Expiry date was 24 December 2019.

Booked a one night stay in mid December for his birthday (coinciding also with my sons birthday) but we had to move it at two days notice to a Saturday in January as my daughter had mumps. The hotel staff were very obliging about extending the vouchers to accommodate us in a deluxe family room (with a double bed and two singles). Many thanks to Ellie Doherty at the hotel for sorting this out - and also to Suzanne and Lisa in the Spa.

We had requested an early check in (as check in is 4pm which is quite late for us) and we were happy to find that our room was available upon our arrival at 3.

The hotel had left a birthday card and dessert in the room. Lovely touch. Very thoughtful and much appreciated.

The room was lovely and clean with lots of wardrobe space. It had a large flatscreen TV with Netflix facility. I managed to hit my head on the tv every time I sat at the table however, as the chair was squeezed in just below and in front of it.

The bathroom was lovely and had both a bath and a separate walk in shower. The water pressure in the shower wasn’t great but the temperature was good. There were plenty of toiletries and towels plus 2 bathrobes and slippers.

The view from the window (beyond a flat roof) was over the golf course at the back or side of the hotel, and we were delighted to see two swans there.

Disappointingly, the beds were very hard so I didn’t sleep well at all. This was a major downside to our stay. Some people love a really firm mattress but I can’t get comfortable on them at all. I tried lying on the double bed (which was in fact 2 single beds pushed together) but eventually swapped my son for his single bed. Unfortunately they were both as hard as each other. If you like a soft bed I’d suggest not staying in the room that we had (272). This was the only major negative about our hotel room.

The walls were thick enough not to hear guests next door although in the morning we could hear kids in the hallway outside the door.

The temperature was great and thankfully there was no noisy aircon rattling away. I’d have slept like a baby if I’d had a softer mattress.

Reception (actually that main lobby area) has plenty of comfortable velvet seating and we were treated to a singer and his acoustic guitar for a while as we had our wine and cocktails. My husband said their Guinness was amazing! The bar service for the lobby area closed early though compared to other hotels that we’ve stayed in - about 10.30pm? And when my husband tried to order a cocktail at about 11.30pm in the main bar (to take up to our room) he was informed that they couldn’t make them one as the cocktail waiter had finished for the night, and he was offered wine instead.

Anyway one thing that really concerned me was that there were two very young seemingly unaccompanied children (both under 8) sitting at the group of chairs nearest the to main hotel entrance doors. They were sitting low in the chairs / lying across them, with their backs to the room. They were playing electronic games that they’d brought with them and they had no adult sitting with them. They were there when we arrived at about 8.45pm and were still there an hour later. None of the hotel staff seemed to notice them as none of the staff asked them who they were with, but plenty of other guests noticed them as they were taking up a large area of seats. The table looked empty until you were right beside it as the seats were much taller then the children. They were so small and the sets were so big that you wouldn’t have seen them until you went over to that area. We were in the seats right behind them and we hadn’t noticed them there until people looking for seats walked over and then saw them and walked away again.

After about 30 minutes a lady who had been sitting with a group of adults at the very far end of the lobby seating (nearest the restaurants entrance) went over and talked to them for about 5 minutes. They were speaking Spanish I think and these two children were obviously related to her. Anyone could have walked out the door with those two children and she and her friends wouldn’t even have noticed! Mo one was supervising them. She walked off and left them there again to go to her adult friends at the far end of the lobby near the restaurant. The children stayed there on their own for at least another half an hour. There is no way the adults could see or hear the children as they were at completely opposite ends of an extremely large open plan lobby. Someone from the hotel should really have asked the children who they were with as they were far too young to be left unaccompanied in that area. Their parents didn’t seem to be worried in the slightest!

Other guests looking for a seat together were not very happy either as they couldn’t sit there - the two children had seats at a table where 6-8 people could easily have been accommodated. The bar was busy and those seats were in high demand. I think the lobby bar staff should have enquired why they were sitting alone and taken them to sit with their parents. They either went unnoticed by staff or they turned a blind eye. As a parent myself I was very concerned about the health and safety issues of this situation.

Anyway enough about that ... and on to the food.

We ate in Dublin for dinner on the Saturday night so didn’t go to the hotel restaurant but we had breakfast at the hotel. It was included in our room rate but we decided to have ours in our room, so we completed the card and hung it in the door. Neither of our children like breakfast so we only ordered fir the two of us.

The full English breakfast was ok but had a lot of mushrooms and only a tiny portion of beans. This wouldn’t have been my preference. We asked for one of the two fry’s to have an egg but unfortunately they put an egg on both plates which somewhat ruined mine as I absolutely hate eggs. I think the grease on my plate possibly came from the egg which put me off eating half of what was on my plate. My husband was happy to eat that half despite the energy’s size of the fry. Anyway, I think if I stayed here again I’d not order room service as I’d have probably got exactly what I wanted had I gone down to eat on the breakfast room.

We had also ordered a selection of mini pastries and a croissant. What they brought us was two mini jam pastries and two mini croissants in a small bowl. Hardly a great selection!

The coffee wasn’t great so I didn’t drink it, but the juice was lovely.

I arrived 20 minutes early for my Sunday morning spa appointment as it says in their brochure to arrive early - to fill in forms and discuss treatment. I’d booked a 10am stress buster massage. The spa only opens at 10 on Sunday’s so I got there before the spa reception staff but they arrived shortly thereafter. I completed their form. They then asked me if I’d like to change in the swimming pool /gym changing room or the spa toilet as the spa hasn’t got its own changing rooms (strangely). I chose the latter, but asked if they had a robe that was any larger than the one in our hotel room wardrobe as it was too small for a plus size lady like myself. The lady at reception tried to find one but then came back to say that they were all the same size (large). So I made do with one that was too small.

After changing I was shown into a room with soft lights and music and 6 treatment beds. This was a waiting area where you can sit and relax with a glass of water or cup of coffee. My therapist arrived within minutes and took me through to a treatment room. I can’t praise Faziannah highly enough. She made me feel very at ease about having my massage, and she was very good. My back, shoulders and neck felt so much better because of her great massage technique. After my massage she recommended one of the Elemis products that she had used on me, and gave me the price list. She invited me to make use of the relaxation room again but unfortunately I had to get back to my room to pack our bags and check out (by 12). I took the price list back to the room, but returned after check out to buy a tan enhancer product for my daughter. Despite listing it they didn’t actually stock this item. They said that they never stock it as they just sell the fake tan products. I found this a little strange.

I recommend that if you are buying someone a spa voucher that you do some research into which treatment they would like and buy that exact amount for the voucher. Change is given as a voucher if the treatment costs less than the voucher, and you only have a year to use it from the issue date. If like me, you’re at the end of your date when you use it, they say they can only extend it by a month (usually). The spa reception staff were happy to extend the remainder amount of my voucher for 2 months however - this wouldn’t suit anyone who doesn’t intend to visit Dublin again soon.

Location-wise the hotel is about 20 minutes drive from the city centre on the North West side. It’s in the countryside but not far from the M50 ring road. Phoenix Park is about 15 minutes drive away. Blanchardstown shopping centre isn’t too far either. There’s no shuttle operated by the hotel into Dublin but there are regular buses within 5 mins walk and the train is also within walking distance. We drove and found that the hotel car park had plenty of spaces and I liked the fact that you need a code to get out through the barrier. The code is displayed on a board inside the hotel lobby entrance and it is also given to you on a slip of paper upon checking in.

All the staff we met were really lovely - a total credit to the hotel.

I’d definitely stay again if I was back in Dublin and if they could guarantee a bed that’s softer than the ones we had.

I think a car is a necessity if you are staying here as taxis are expensive in Dublin and this is not a city centre hotel. Anyone booking it would hopefully realise that Castleknock is not near Dublin City Centre. I knew this to be the case so it doesn’t put me off at all. It’s nice to have some peace and quiet!

If I return I will also try the lobby patisserie as the menu looks great.

I recommend the daiquiris in the lobby bar.

Had it not been for the hard beds I’d have rated this hotel four stars.

Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank Ash1971
GM_Castleknock_Hotel, General Manager at Castleknock Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Many thanks for taking the time to leave your indepth review, it is much appreicated and gives us a great insight into the full guest experience. We are aware of the issue of unaccompanied children and have now briefed our staff on how to deal with this, so we hope this will address the issue. Our apologies that you didn't find our beds comfortable, this is something we will certainly look at changing going forward. We hope you decide to make a return visit to us, we would love to have you back and experience more of what our hotel has to offer.

Reviewed January 12, 2020 via mobile

Stayed for 1 night here with my partner and stayed in the Robinson suit. The hotel was amazing and the decor was beautiful. The room was beautiful and spacious. There was both a good strong shower and a jacuzzi bath tub. The staff were lovely and very friendly. The food was delicious and the breakfast was lovely. We had breakfast delivered to are room and i couldn't fault it. Beautifully left, plenty of food and tasted lovely. I would definitely reccomend this hotel and will be returning again.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Thank you for the kind review, it is greatly appreciated. Great to hear that you enjoyed so many aspects of the hotel, and that our staff were able to add to your experience. We look forward to welcoming you back with us in the future!