“Lovely escape”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Castleknock
Derry, United Kingdom
“Lovely escape”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We arrived at the hotel for a midweek break, the hotel looked the part and first impressions were great! The receptionist was very friendly and check in was straightforward. The room was lovely and spacious and the ensuite had both shower and bath which was nice to have the option, we had booked spa treatments and they were fab! The staff there were great and very professional would defiantly recommend to others. The only problem I had with the hotel room was the heat, it was so warm and the portable fan in the room did not work, although when I spoke to the receptionist she made a note and it was replaced by the time we got back from dinner. On our first night we ate in the park restaurant. The staff were ok, we were told someone would come for a drinks order and in the end we had to bring it to their attention after the second course, despite this the food was amazing. I was really disappointed with their attention to detail tho, as my boyfriend choose the restaurant to propose, they completely failed to notice him on one knee proposing, not even a congratulations and we left barely without notice, for an award winning restaurant this was disappointing. We had breakfast included and this was great, fantastic selection and in comparison to our dinner the breakfast waitress remembered us by name every morning. In all a good hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the air conditioning unit, it is very loud and starts early in morning!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
GM_Castleknock_Hotel, General Manager at Castleknock Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Nicola b

Firstly let me congratulate you both on your engagement, I am delighted to read that your boyfriend chose Castleknock Hotel to propose and I wish you both all the best. Thank you for your detailed feedback. Please know that we take all feedback on board, both positive & negative as myself and our team of staff and managers constantly try to keep improving our guest service in each department, so I appreciate your comments.

Congratulations again & I hope we can welcome you back in the near future

Guy Thompson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Cork
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Stayed here last week as I was working nearby and was thrilled when I checked in and got to my room. Room was pristine and very well laid out (had been upgraded to a suite so I was thrilled). Best thing about this hotel is proximity to Dublin City Centre but its in the country side so it's extremely quiet. Best night sleep I had in Dublin ever!! Will definately return. Travelled there by cab, not too sure how accessible it is by public transport

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear mumofonehappybaby

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback, I really appreciate this. I am delighted that you noticed that we are only 15 minutes from the City Centre but at the same time we are located in a country setting. I am pleased that you got to stay overnight in one of our 4 executive suites and I hope this added to the overall enjoyment of your stay.

I hope we can welcome you back on a future occasion for a corporate or leisure break

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Had not heard of Castleknock before finding it online , but will definitley be back at some stage. Booked it as an anniversary present for my parents because of the facilities available i.e. golf course and spa. Hotel and rooms were spotless and well equipped, spa was magnificent and at a reasonable rate. Had lunch in the lobby bar area and was very impressed with food. Golf course in the resort was a good test of golf without being too difficult !! Dinner in the main restaurant was delightful and pretty reasonable at under 40 euro for a four course dinner. service at times was a bit slow due to a wedding and other things going on in the hotel but we didnt mind too much. Breakfast buffet was good standard with plenty of choice than just the traditional irish breakfast , would reccommend to anyone looking for a nice relaxing break or with whatever activities you like to do !!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
GM_Castleknock_Hotel, General Manager at Castleknock Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear ColinHamiltonRea

Thank you for your feedback. I really appreciate the time taken to write your review and thank you for your recommendation. Our team of staff and managers at Castleknock Hotel always try to offer the best service possible in each of our departments so I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed the cleanliness of our bedrooms, our Tonic Health & Day Spa facilities, Castleknock Golf Course & our Restaurants. I do hope your parents had en enjoyable time celebrating their anniversary.

We look forward to welcoming you back

Ko Samui, Thailand
Reviewed June 1, 2013

This hotel came highly recommended, I went for the weekend on my sisters Hen party, there was seven of us in total, and although we had a fab time, I felt the hotel and staff treated almost as though we were second class customers. on the first night we had arranged dinner for us all, we were dining at 7pm and were placed in the "overspill" part of the restaurant, when there was know one in the main restaurant, as it turns out, we were the only customers seated here the whole night. the reason we got for this was that all the tables were booked, even though we booked this almost six months ago, we were the ones who were put in the "cheap" seats. we retired to our rooms where we had a mr and mrs type game organised, we needed a DVD player. i went down to reception to ask for one, and got the rudest man I have EVER encountered working at a front desk. he stated all the dvd players were reserved for executive rooms, and they could only be received by removing from the room before customers checked in. he said he would see what he could do, and call me up to advise. half hour later my sister phoned down to see if he was able tp do anything, where he snapped and said I was talking to you earlier and I told you that I would organise something for tomorrow night! my sister then went down to reception and again the man was rude and pushy, she said to him, I don't need you to be rude, I need you to do me a favour - this must have shocked him into action as he asked another member of staff to look for an extra dvd player (why he did not do this in the first place I don't know) so after over an hour, we could continue our night. I felt his remark about the executive rooms, and the rudeness made me feel second class. it clearly stated in the book in the room that your can get various items by requesting them from reception, clearly not. the poor service continued at the bar, we asked for burgers, and it took over an hour for our order to arrive. in the residents bar, I ordered a round, there were 2x other guests at the bar, so I wouldn't say he was rushed off his feet, but it took forever to get my round as the barman disappeared mid way though serving me, and then I had to do three trips to the table, even though I asked for help carrying the drinks! then at check out, my door was knocked at ten past 12, then again at quarter past oh and one more time at 20 past! talk about wanting rid!. there was one nice staff member, one barman was helpful but that is it. don't get me wrong, the hotel was clean, comfortable, nice outside bar area, and the spa was FAB, but I honestly do not think I will go back here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank ainecodown
Leitrim, Ireland
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Got a great mid week deal for a family break. Hotel itself is pristine, rooms adequate and facilities for a break like this are excellent. Great pool / leisure centre. Have a young son and he really enjoyed the stay - spent loads of time in the pool and there is also a kids play area just outside the bar / restaurant area which was very good also. Nice grounds and excellently located close to the Phoenix Park for the zoo etc and you wouldn't even realise you were that close to the city. Food in the restaurant very good and service excellent and courteous. Defo will consider again for a family break. Only negative was the bed - not comfortable, very hard and pillows poor

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Helmet_8

Let me take this time to thank you for your lovely comments. I am thrilled to read that you and your family had an enjoyable break and that you and your son had time to use our complimentary leisure facilities and playground. I really appreciate your detailed feedback so thank you again, & I hope we can welcome you all back in the near future for another family break

Kind regards
Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

I must say I never knew this hotel was so close to the city 10kilometres . A great setting and wonderful views . The staff are very friendly from check in to the waiters . I have really enjoyed my steak and dessert and it was very reasonable .the hotel has a lovely atmosphere and I would come back here again

• Stayed June 2012
GM_Castleknock_Hotel, General Manager at Castleknock Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear CorlessGalway

Thank you for your review. I appreciate the time taken to pass on your feedback. As you mention, we are located in country surroundings, while at the same time not far from the City Centre. Most of our bedrooms, along with our Park Restaurant and south facing outside terrace have the wonderful views of the golf course and lakes & I am delighted that you had the time to enjoy these.

We look forward to welcoming you back for another leisure break

Sitka
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Great place to stay. it was quiet, and clean with nice sized rooms. I found that the restaurant staff weren't friendly but the bar staff was and the bar food was very good. The only complaint is that it is so far out from city centre. There is a bus stop 10 minutes walk, so that is easy but it's finding the right bus that comes back that way in the evening that is the pain!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dear Funkymoose83

Let me first thank you for taking the time to post your review. Please note we take all feedback on board, both positive & negative, as we constantly try to improve our guest service in each department & aim to offer a 5 star service, so I do appreciate your comments

Thank you again & I hope we can welcome you back for a future stay

Guy Thompson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castleknock
Kilmainham
Sheldon Park Hotel
Sheldon Park Hotel
#66 of 151 in Dublin
Clontarf Castle Hotel
#3 of 151 in Dublin
The Croke Park
#6 of 151 in Dublin

Been to Castleknock Hotel? Share your experiences!