“willjen”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Castleknock
Enniskillen, United Kingdom
“willjen”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Stayed here for a 1 night stay with evening meal. The staff at reception were very friendly and helpful. Rooms were very clean and tidy . Leisure facilities were excellent and not over crowded.
Evening meal was excellent in the brassier restraunt. Breakfast was pentiful, hot and well cooked with a great selection for all tastes, and staff couldn"t be any more helpful. Over all a great hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
GM_Castleknock_Hotel, General Manager at Castleknock Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear William C

Let me please thank you for your lovely words and for taking the time to pass on your feedback. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were impressed with our facilties and staff,

Myself and our team look forward to welcoming you back again

Guy Thompson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I found this hotel Excellent. I country retreat but olny 10 to 15 mins drive from the city centre and Blanchstown Town Centre shopping Centre.
The Hotel its self was lovely nice clean modern hotel with great facilities
Pool (the only thing i would say is that you most wear a swiming cap in the pool so bring one with you as they charge 3 euros per person child included for one at the pool reception) Spa Restuarants and bars all of which are lovely decorated.
The Hotel also has a play park of the childern and offer travel cot beds on request.
I have no complaints with this hote other than the price of breakfasr if its not included in your room rate ite 16.99 euros per person. Seems a little expensive to me but maybe thats just me.
All in all the hotel was great and we will be staying here again.

Dear 6390nicole

Let me take this time to thank you for your lovely comments. I am delighted to read that you had the time & enjoyed our facilities and I really hope you had a nice relaxing break.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the near future

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed May 19, 2013

My husband and I booked in for one night on the Suite Treat package. This was our first visit to the hotel and our first impressions were very positive. It was very busy when we arrived as there were a lot of Communions there.

We arrived before the 3pm check in time but the receptionist checked us in as our room was ready. She was very friendly and efficient and it was a very good first impression of the staff.

We decided to have some lunch before we went up to the room and that sadly was our first disappointment. The food from the carvery in The Brasserie was overdone and not very hot. Plus, we had to attract the attention of no less than two staff members to pay as there was no one at the cash till but four staff were chatting just around the corner – so not a good start.

Our suite was lovely and the decor was beautiful. Sparkling wine and chocolates were included as part of the package and they were waiting in the room for us and the presentation of them was fabulous.

There were a couple of maintenance issues in the room but nothing that ruined our stay.

Dinner in The Park Restaurant that night was exceptional. The food was exquisite and it was a delight to eat there. The only downside was in asking for the bill, where we were charged for the meal, despite advising the waitress when we arrived that it was part of our package and giving her the voucher we received at check in. When the waiter returned with the correct bill, he very unprofessionally said “sorry about the error but we’re all over the place today.”

Our plan then was to go into “The Lime Tree” bar that had an adults only notice up and enjoy a couple of cocktails. We sat down at a table that needed clearing but we noticed that there wasn’t a bar man there. A few minutes later a member of the bar staff arrived and cleared the table for us and we placed an order with him for drinks. After 20 minutes he still hadn’t returned so my husband had to go out to the main bar to get some drinks as there was still no bar man in “The Lime Tree”. From there, our experience went downhill. For the time that we were in that bar, there was no staff there. They would come in every now and then from the main bar but that was it. Given that it was after 10pm when we went in to the bar, there were children there the whole time, despite it being “adults only” and despite licensing laws stating that children should not be on the premises after a certain time. To make matters worse, a manager came in at one stage and turned up one of the televisions for the children to hear the Eurovision and showed them how to higher the sound!

There was a musician playing in the main bar just outside the door of “the Lime Tree” and with the TV volume being hired, people had to talk loudly to be heard and the noise was just deafening. The noise was so bad that we ended up having to go up to our room without cocktails etc after about 45 minutes. This was such a disappointing end to our evening and really gave us a bad view of how the bars and rules are managed and followed up on by the hotel.

Breakfast the next morning wasn’t good. The food was cold and the scrambled eggs were watery. It wasn’t an enjoyable breakfast at all.

On checkout, the receptionist was really lovely and was very taken aback when I mentioned about children being in “The Lime Tree” bar as she agreed that it was adults only but she also confirmed that children should not be in the bars after 9pm.

All in all, our experience in the Castleknock Hotel was mixed. While we’d a lovely room and a nice dinner, the bar experience really soured our visit. In addition, while the hotel might be busy due to Communions etc, it shouldn’t result in residents being affected.

6 Thank Celticcreation
Dear Celticcreation

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback. I really appreciate your detailed comments & I can assure you the service you mention is not our usual standard so I do apologise for this inconvenience. Customer service has always been our number one priority, which shows in the awards we have won in the past, so please be assured that I will be speaking to the staff and management in relation to your issues.

I am delighted that you had the time to enjoy the wonderful Suite Treat package & to stay in one of our 4 suites. We have recently made improvements to our Park restaurant menus with the addition of our new executive head chef Robert Read, so I am thrilled that you found the food exquisite.

I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future and that you leave feeling a lot more positive about Castleknock Hotel

Kindest Regards
Shannon, Ireland
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I booked my husband into this hotel as I was going in for an operation in the Hermitage Clinic...and as this hotel was quite close and would be only a short taxi drive away we decided it was a good place for him....however it didn't turn out to be convenient as a taxi took nearly 25 mins to get to the hospital...and my husband had to pay 20euros everytime he traveled to and from the hospital...we had booked for 2 nights but we decided he needed to be nearer the hospital in case he was needed...we explained the situation to the hotel...only to be told we still had to pay for both nights...no understanding at all on their part...so my advice is don't book 2 nights together because they don't allow for any changes to your stay...and we had planned to stay with them again in June as I will be due back at the hospital for my check up...but that is out of the question now...as they were so mean about everything...God be with the day that hotels did everything they could to help out their customers...now it seems its all about the money...where is the hospitality these days.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't have A/C unit outside the window.
2 Thank Patricia09Fanning
GM_Castleknock_Hotel, General Manager at Castleknock Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear Patricia09Fanning

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your feedback from your recent stay with us. I am very sorry you feel this way and it does disappointment me greatly reading your words as customer service has always been extremely important to us here at Castleknock Hotel.

All I can say is that we do have a 24 hour cancellation policy for individual bedroom bookings. We do make this clear at the booking stage to our guests, as we want our guests to feel confident while making their reservation and be fully aware of these policies

This allows guests up to 24 hours before their arrival date to cancel without charge; this policy is of course subject to the type of offer chosen and can vary. All hotels, as you can imagine, must have cancellation policies in place on bedroom bookings as a form of security for the booking of the bedroom, while at the same time this is certainly kept as flexible as possible for our guests as we understand circumstances can change.

I do hope you are feeling better & I wish to apologise again for the negative terms you have left us with, as our team of staff & managers always try to ensure our guests leave fully satisfied with their stay

wATERFORD CITY
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Stayed there for tree nights last week and must say that I find the experience in is hotel only getting better. Our room was freshly decorated and had a very pleasant feeling about it. Had a bit to eat in the bar when we got there and would recommend the burger with the apple wood cheese .It was delicious .Although it was busy when we got there service was quick and excellent.One thing I noticed over my couple of days was the way the whole team work together as a unit .Every one gets involved in giving a first class service. Had a meal in the restaurant on the second night and must say really enjoyed every bit of it .Really enjoyed our break there and well done to all for the excellent service an detail.

Room Tip: Good swimming pool area and very family friendly hotel
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
GM_Castleknock_Hotel, General Manager at Castleknock Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear Berlitz

Let me take this time to thank you sincerely for your review. I am thrilled reading your comments and to know that you were impressed and enjoyed your overall experience with Castleknock Hotel makes me feel very proud. I know our team of staff and management here will be equally as proud.
Thank you again & we look forward to hopefully welcoming you back again

General Manager.
Clonmel, Ireland
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I stayed here about two weeks ago and really enjoyed my stay!

At the start I was a bit disappointed that we did not get our flat screen TV as described but when I rang reception they offered straight away to move us to another room with the TV. They gave us the key to have a look at the other room. It had the TV but unfortunately the view was out onto the car park as opposed to the view of the golf course in the other room. We decided to take the new room as the other room also had a generator outside which I feel may have affected my sleep.

The staff were extremely helpful throughout. The second evening we had food in the restaurant and it was fantastic. Really tasty food. If I remember correctly a man by the name of Callum was serving us. He was both friendly and professional.

The breakfast the next day was perfect. It had everything you could ask for along with a complementary Sunday Independent.

I also tried out the leisure center while I was there which I really enjoyed.

Overall I enjoyed my stay and would definitely go back!

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We stayed from 06/05/13 to 10/05/13. we booked under an online offer of €485 for 4 nights for 2 adults & 2 kids. as we were only bringing 1 child i asked for a further discount when booking but was told no. This was fine until we arrived at the hotel to find we were to stay in a shoebox for 5 days!!! The room was horrendously small. There were no basic facilities i would have expected in a hotel room, fridge, bath robes, temp control etc! I was discuted so i complained as this was meant to be our honeymoon. The manager explained that there were no other rooms available as they were fully booked, doubtful as the dining room was nearly empty the following morning. She also said that they usually put 2 adults and 2 children into this room, (2 kids to share the sofa bed), which i find very hard to believe as there were only 3 of us and there wasn't room to swing a cat! The bar staff seemed nice & the waiting staff in the restaurant were attentive but the reception staff didn't even look up when we passed. The size of the room really ruined our stay. Also, as part of the deal was a spa treatment, which was lovely, but also 2 evening meals. One would assume that this would include all parties staying but no, it only include the 2 adults meals!! we had to pay for my sons meal.
Overall, we were not impressed. It really ruined what was meant to be a relaxing break after getting married. I won't be going back.

Room Tip: Don't book room 153 for any more than 2 people!!!
3 Thank Adele F
Dear Adele F

Many thanks for posting your review. I feel very disappointed reading your comments, and I do apologise that you were not impressed with our family rooms. Our family bedrooms consist of one double bed and one double sofa bed, which we recommend for 2 adults and 2 children to share under the age of 8 years. Since we introduced these new family room types in 2011, we have had positive feedback from families overall. Just to mention, we do have adjoining rooms available to book subject to availability for a supplement to give families the option to enjoy that extra space. In relation to our 54321 family packages, as you know they include dinner for each adult (How many dinners is subject to how many nights booked).We do clearly state that children over 8 years stay free on a room only basis with this package, and we include breakfast for children under 8 years. I am sorry if you did not realize this before your arrival as I can see how that would be a frustrating. We do take all feedback on board and I do appreciate the time taken to pass on your review. If you do decide to return to us in the near future I hope we can change your opinion of Castleknock Hotel

Guy Thompson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castleknock
Crowne Plaza Dublin - Blanchardstown
Ashling Hotel
Ashling Hotel
#16 of 151 in Dublin
Dunboyne Castle Hotel And Spa

Been to Castleknock Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!