“Horrible honeymoon”
Review of Castleknock Hotel

Castleknock Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Castleknock
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We stayed from 06/05/13 to 10/05/13. we booked under an online offer of €485 for 4 nights for 2 adults & 2 kids. as we were only bringing 1 child i asked for a further discount when booking but was told no. This was fine until we arrived at the hotel to find we were to stay in a shoebox for 5 days!!! The room was horrendously small. There were no basic facilities i would have expected in a hotel room, fridge, bath robes, temp control etc! I was discuted so i complained as this was meant to be our honeymoon. The manager explained that there were no other rooms available as they were fully booked, doubtful as the dining room was nearly empty the following morning. She also said that they usually put 2 adults and 2 children into this room, (2 kids to share the sofa bed), which i find very hard to believe as there were only 3 of us and there wasn't room to swing a cat! The bar staff seemed nice & the waiting staff in the restaurant were attentive but the reception staff didn't even look up when we passed. The size of the room really ruined our stay. Also, as part of the deal was a spa treatment, which was lovely, but also 2 evening meals. One would assume that this would include all parties staying but no, it only include the 2 adults meals!! we had to pay for my sons meal.
Overall, we were not impressed. It really ruined what was meant to be a relaxing break after getting married. I won't be going back.

Room Tip: Don't book room 153 for any more than 2 people!!!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Adele F
GM_Castleknock_Hotel, General Manager at Castleknock Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Dear Adele F

Many thanks for posting your review. I feel very disappointed reading your comments, and I do apologise that you were not impressed with our family rooms. Our family bedrooms consist of one double bed and one double sofa bed, which we recommend for 2 adults and 2 children to share under the age of 8 years. Since we introduced these new family room types in 2011, we have had positive feedback from families overall. Just to mention, we do have adjoining rooms available to book subject to availability for a supplement to give families the option to enjoy that extra space. In relation to our 54321 family packages, as you know they include dinner for each adult (How many dinners is subject to how many nights booked).We do clearly state that children over 8 years stay free on a room only basis with this package, and we include breakfast for children under 8 years. I am sorry if you did not realize this before your arrival as I can see how that would be a frustrating. We do take all feedback on board and I do appreciate the time taken to pass on your review. If you do decide to return to us in the near future I hope we can change your opinion of Castleknock Hotel

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed here with my husband... The staff at check in were so friendly & helpful, lovely for families or a romantic get away. Breakfast was the best I've had in a hotel for some time :) we will be back

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
GM_Castleknock_Hotel, General Manager at Castleknock Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Dear ireneGalway

I really appreciate you taking the time to write your comments. I will ensure your feedback is passed on to the relevant staff members, who I know will be equally thrilled to read your words. We have recently made changes to our full breakfast buffet menu, so it is wonderful to read that you were impressed.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I recently stayed for two nights in this hotel and was very satisfied with the experience. The staff were very friendly and helpful, the food was excellent and the room was clean and comfortable. I have no problem recommending to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Dear eugcan

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback. We really appreciate the recommendation and I am delighted that everything was to your satisfaction.

I hope we can welcome you back on a future occasion

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Spent one night in this hotel with another couple on a special offer for two with breakfast and an evening meal. We had a twin room which was beautiful. The other couple had an Executive room which also was beautiful. The women had a snack in the bar when we arrived and the food was excellent as was the service. The men played golf for the afternoon. My girlfriend had a Hot Stone Massage for an hour and she came back glowing. She said it was the best experience ever. Went to the Restaurant for the two course meal which was included in the offer. The menu was varied, the food was wonderful and the service was great. Went into the bar for an hour or so after the meal and again the service was great. Breakfast was varied and we had it in the same Restaurant as the dinner the previous night. Couldn't fault anything about this hotel. What made it even better was on paying the bill we got a Euro 50 voucher for a return visit which I hope will be soon.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
GM_Castleknock_Hotel, General Manager at Castleknock Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Dear clairemarkey

Let me take this time to thank you sincerely for your comments. I am very proud reading your feedback as myself and our team of staff always pride ourselves on offering the best guest service possible in each department. With the addition of our new executive head chef, Robert Read, we have recently made further improvements to our menus in each restaurant, both our Brasserie Restaurant and our AA Rosette award winning Park restaurant, so I am thrilled you enjoyed each meal.

I am delighted that you, your partner and friends, had the time to relax and make use of the facilities in the hotel; Tonic Health & Day Spa and Castleknock golf course. I really hope we can welcome you all back again for another enjoyable break.

Kind regards

Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed as a birthday treat for him. We had took up the tv offer for a one night stay and were so impressed with the hotel we decided to stay the second night. As it was his birthday I asked for an upgrade to an executive room with a view of the wonderful grounds and paid a fee for this.
When we arrived to the new room it was lovely with a small birthday cake and card for my husband, we were delighted.
The whole hotel has a lovely atmosphere, spotlessly clean in all areas I actually couldn't fault it.
We went down for a drink both nights and the bar staff along with all the other members of staff were very friendly and nothing was to much trouble.
Breakfast had a great selection and was of a high quality.
The only fault was the noise from the generator outside. Even though we were a good bit away from it, it was like a lorry running its engine non stop.
I said it to the receptionist about 10pm and she said that it went off at 11pm and offered us another room but as it was to go off at 11 we were happy to stay in the room. Although it got less noisy it was still humming all night.
On checking out I spoke to the receptionist again and she was very apologetic and called the duty manager. She told me it was a new system and they were having some teething problems with it. She then refunded me the cost of the upgrade and offered me a free upgrade on my next visit, which I thought was very reasonable.
I will be staying at this hotel again as it is one of the best hotels we have stayed in. In fact I am trying to find a reason to go back.
I will just finish by saying that the staff from accommodation with their warm smiles good morning and spotless rooms, to the bar, reception and restaurant staff made our stay just about perfect..a BIG well done :)

• Stayed: May 2013

Dear teresabrown3

Many thanks for your feedback.

I am delighted to read that you chose Castleknock Hotel to celebrate your husband’s birthday & I really hope he enjoyed his celebration. The small details throughout all departments have always been important to us, as we feel this helps towards the overall enjoyment and satisfaction of our guests stay with us.
I do apolagise for the inconvenience of the noise from the CHP unit. This is located at the back of the hotel which affects only a small number of rooms. The operating times for this Unit have now been reduced, to reduce any disruption to our guests.

I do hope you return to us for another enjoyable leisure break.
Thank you again for your lovely words

Reviewed May 3, 2013

Recent Business meeting, and were rewarded for staying 10 mins outside the city in this wonderful Hotel and Country Club.

Rooms were excellent, and I looked over the golf course. The bar was very well attended and the staff first class and friendly.

Dinner was first rate and conference facilities perfect. Breakfast only reason for not giving 5 stars. Very busy, cramped and average quality. Maybe have room service next time.

The golf course, with preferential rate, is US style, with water everywhere and good, clever bunkering. A real surprise as it was challenging but fun.

I reccommend this resort if planning Dublin Business and pleasure.

Room Tip: Golf course view
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank FoxtrotUk

Dear FoxtrotUk

I would like to thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments. I am delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us.
We always try our best to be the ideal venue for both our corporate & leisure guests, so I appreciate your recommendation.
I am thrilled that you had the time to enjoy some of the facilities in the hotel. If we have the pleasure of welcoming you back, hopefully you will have time to also use our complimentary leisure centre facilities

Reviewed May 2, 2013

Travelled from Derry on Sunday 28th April to this lovely hotel and stayed for 3 nights. After advising us that they had no booking i was able to provide a confirmation letter and i have to say that the receptionist was apologetic and was able to find us a room as thankfully they were not fully booked. The standard of rooms are very good very clean and roomy but as others have said there is quite a lot of noise if you are at the back of the hotel. We were on the first floor and always have a window open at night but the unit was on until around 11.30 and on again at 07.30am which did waken us. We didn't really mind too much as we were getting up for breakfast but would certainly ask for a different room the next time.
We ate in the bar and enjoyed are food which was reasonably priced and had an inclusive dinner which was excellent from start to finish with great service on the night. No faults there with very helpful and pleasant staff. I am coeliac and they were very accommodating throughout the stay. We chose a dish which required us to pay 5euro each extra for our meal and were happy to do that. We do not drink and normally when we have a meal I have water and my husband has diluted orange. We did not expect to be charged 1.80 for a pint glass of diluted orange we have never been charged in other hotels and it seems a bit mean. Other than this I can say that we had a great time in the hotel and would definitely return but would suggest that you think again about charging for diluted orange.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear CYNDIFAN

Thank you for the feedback from your recent stay with us.
In relation to the noise you mention, this is from our CHP unit. I do sincerely apologise for the inconvenience to you. We have, as part of our Environmental Plan, a CHP unit located at the rear of the hotel. The times of the operation of this unit are carefully monitored in order to reduce any level of disruption to our guests. From feedback received, we have reduced the operational hours of this unit.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed our inclusive dinner menu. We have recently improved this menu with the addition of our new executive head Chef, Robert Read. I have certainly taken all other points on board.

I do hope we can welcome you back on a future occasion

Guy Thompson

Also consider these accommodations in or near Castleknock
The Croke Park
#5 of 150 in Dublin
Clontarf Castle Hotel
#3 of 150 in Dublin
Kilmainham
Sheldon Park Hotel
Sheldon Park Hotel
#70 of 150 in Dublin

Been to Castleknock Hotel? Share your experiences!