Despite having to travel a substantial distance out of the main City of Dublin, the time taken (particularly by bus) was not wasted because there was lots to look at on the way and we were able to get familiar with the whole area. On approach to the hotel I was initially a little disappointed that it wasn't a castle building, but it would be silly to expect this!! The ground were beautiful, and the swimming pool looked great. The hotel reception was beautifully maintained and there was ample seating at the bar area.
We stayed on 1st-4th April and expected it to be a little busy and perhaps noisy; but contrary to other reviews I have read our room was very quiet and we were at no point in the evening disturbed by any other guests. The room was very spacious, clean and house keeping standards were tip top! The bathroom was lovely, but the walk in shower did make the rest of the floor a little wet! One negative about the room was that it was a little too hot for our tastes and we didn't work out how to turn the radiator off until the second night so the first night was spent feeling a little clammy.... but the bed was so comfy I had a fabulous nights sleep!!
We ate at The Park Restaurant on the first evening. I would definitely recommend to book in advance (unlike us!) because it was fully booked around 8pm when we initially wanted to dine, but the perks of the earlier timing was that we got to order from the Early Bird Menu which was splendid. It was very filling and came to about 50 euros. (Little tip...if you want water, ask for a tap water jug because we did end up getting charged for the bottled water at the table which we didn't realise.) The waiting staff were very attentive, friendly and we didn't want for anything because they were always near enough the table to grab us anything else we needed. The food was very tasty and well presented. There was a lot of soup involved (which is great because I love a good hearty soup), The chicken main was very succulent and the dessert was just pure heaven in a dessert cup!
Just a tip if you are going to stay here logistics wise: I highly recommend purchasing the Freedom Ticket (for the number of days you are staying) online before arrival. It cost us 28 euros each for a 3 day ticket that allowed us to use The City Tour hop on-hop off bus and all buses under the "Dublin Bus" company! You can get the same ticket online for 26 euros for the three days and pick it up at the airport on arrival (but to do this you need to select this arrangement 3 weeks prior to travel.) This is a good idea because on the bus you have to pay for your tickets in exact change or use a pass!
The hotel is beautiful, well staffed, well maintained and just ideal for any type of trip. Next time we would be very tempted to stay in an executive room just to see what that's like and I would love to use the spa which we never got time to do this time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Castleknock Hotel & Country Club, the multi award winning 4 star hotel, right on the doorstep of Dublin City. Castleknock Hotel & Country Club is an award-winning modern 4 star hotel set in lush grounds with an onsite golf course, located beside the Phoenix Park, Dublin. Specialising in corporate stays, conferences, golf breaks, weekend weddings and relaxed family and leisure visits, the hotel is just 15 minutes from Dublin city centre and 20 minutes from Dublin Airport with easy access on the M50, but feels like a world away from the bustle of the city with its tranquil countryside setting. Just outside Castleknock village, the stylish but informal and relaxed Castleknock Hotel and Country Club is a spacious, modern hotel which, with its expansive views over the golf course and surrounding countryside, makes a delightfully pleasant base for both business and leisure guests. With an 18-hole golf course, a deluxe day spa, a well-equipped leisure centre, award-winning restaurants and welcoming bars, an innovative meeting and events offering, substantial sports screens, outdoor BBQ and children's playground, it's everything that could be required from a great resort hotel, all under one roof. Castleknock Hotel & Country Club, AA Ireland's Hotel of the Year 2014, has 138 guest bedrooms, most of which were recently refurbished in 2015. Some of our upgraded rooms offer amenities such as SMART TV's, Nespresso machines, premium sports channels and high speed WiFi. Bedrooms are spacious and bright, comfortably furnished, and many with charming views over the manicured greens and careful planting of the undulating 18-hole parkland course at Castleknock Hotel & Country Club, one of the closest golf hotels to Dublin city. Winner of over 32 local, national and international awards since 2009, Castleknock Hotel & Country Club is a luxury property designed to meet the needs of the most discerning guest, whether staying for business or pleasure. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity and Agoda so you can book your Castleknock Hotel & Country Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Castleknock Hotel And Country Club
- Castleknock Hotel & Country Club County Dublin