“Surprising 4 star!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Castleknock
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Surprising 4 star!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

Despite having to travel a substantial distance out of the main City of Dublin, the time taken (particularly by bus) was not wasted because there was lots to look at on the way and we were able to get familiar with the whole area. On approach to the hotel I was initially a little disappointed that it wasn't a castle building, but it would be silly to expect this!! The ground were beautiful, and the swimming pool looked great. The hotel reception was beautifully maintained and there was ample seating at the bar area.

We stayed on 1st-4th April and expected it to be a little busy and perhaps noisy; but contrary to other reviews I have read our room was very quiet and we were at no point in the evening disturbed by any other guests. The room was very spacious, clean and house keeping standards were tip top! The bathroom was lovely, but the walk in shower did make the rest of the floor a little wet! One negative about the room was that it was a little too hot for our tastes and we didn't work out how to turn the radiator off until the second night so the first night was spent feeling a little clammy.... but the bed was so comfy I had a fabulous nights sleep!!

We ate at The Park Restaurant on the first evening. I would definitely recommend to book in advance (unlike us!) because it was fully booked around 8pm when we initially wanted to dine, but the perks of the earlier timing was that we got to order from the Early Bird Menu which was splendid. It was very filling and came to about 50 euros. (Little tip...if you want water, ask for a tap water jug because we did end up getting charged for the bottled water at the table which we didn't realise.) The waiting staff were very attentive, friendly and we didn't want for anything because they were always near enough the table to grab us anything else we needed. The food was very tasty and well presented. There was a lot of soup involved (which is great because I love a good hearty soup), The chicken main was very succulent and the dessert was just pure heaven in a dessert cup!

Just a tip if you are going to stay here logistics wise: I highly recommend purchasing the Freedom Ticket (for the number of days you are staying) online before arrival. It cost us 28 euros each for a 3 day ticket that allowed us to use The City Tour hop on-hop off bus and all buses under the "Dublin Bus" company! You can get the same ticket online for 26 euros for the three days and pick it up at the airport on arrival (but to do this you need to select this arrangement 3 weeks prior to travel.) This is a good idea because on the bus you have to pay for your tickets in exact change or use a pass!

The hotel is beautiful, well staffed, well maintained and just ideal for any type of trip. Next time we would be very tempted to stay in an executive room just to see what that's like and I would love to use the spa which we never got time to do this time.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank AmberEmTee
GM_Castleknock_Hotel, General Manager at Castleknock Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear AmberEmTee

Let me take this opportunity to sincerely thank you for feedback. It is wonderful to receive such detailed information about your stay with us. Our team of staff and management at Castleknock Hotel, constantly try to offer a 5 star service in all department’s, therefore all feedback is taken on board to help towards any improvements necessary.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the menu in our Park restaurant. Since your stay, we have gained a new executive head chef, who has created new and improved menus for our AA rosette award winning Park restaurant
I do hope we can welcome you back for a future stay, to maybe try our new menus, and hopefully you will have the time to enjoy complimentary use of our leisure facilities and avail of the 15% guest discount off Spa treatments at Tonic Health & Day Spa

Guy Thompson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

Being a local we have eaten here for lunches etc and while its slightly on the pricier side it is lovely. We decided to do an overnight stay whilst the kids got minded.

The rooms are lovely and spacious and very quiet. The shower in the bathroom though is a bit clostraphobic and oddly shaped but the underfloor heating is a great addition.

We had dinner included and the restaurant is a lovely setting particularly at night.

I'm not overly impressed with the foyer setup, the couches for me are too big and too far apart and the area around the bar is a bit cramped.

The leisure centre is a nice retreat but the pool is tiny and so can get congested particularly as its open to local members.

Nice spot but nothing really too special

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dublin_Rambler_11
GM_Castleknock_Hotel, General Manager at Castleknock Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear Dublin_Rambler_11

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. I have noted each of your points above. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your dinner in our restaurant. For your information, we now have a new executive chef working with us, who is currently creating new and exciting menus for both the Park & Brasserie restaurants. I do hope we can welcome you back on a future occasion

Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

Spent St. Patrick's weekend at this hotel. Wonderful food. Great atmosphere. Extremely attentive and friendly staff. Far enough from the city for a bit of peace and quiet, but close enough to access all amenities. Great for families. The pool area was great for our 2 year old. We would return to this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear dhaskett

I would like to thank you for your lovely feedback. St Patrick’s Day was a great success this year in the hotel, so I am delighted you were here to enjoy the atmosphere
I do hope we can welcome you and your family back again for a future stay

Derry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed recently following a friends party which was taking place in the hotel. The lift didn't work on three different occasions. Our room was above a noisy heat recycling plant which the duty manager acknowledged was noisy and had it switched off, only for it to start early the next morning again. We were not informed that the Jacuzzi was not working only to find out when we arrived a few hours after check in at the spa. We were not informed previously that we needed 1euro for the lockers until i had changed into my swimsuit. The pool area was not as clean as I would have expected from a four star hotel. There was litter in the steam room and tiles missing from the seating area in the room. My husband bought a pint of Guinness at the party which was so flat it looked like it had been sitting overnight. This was later replaced following a complaint to the Duty Manager. Overall, we had a very disappointing experience although staff did listen, apologies meant little as its had been years since my husband and I had stayed in a hotel without the children.

Room Tip: Check first that your room is not near the noisy recycling system.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Fiddles_3
Dear Fiddles_3

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. Please note we take all feedback, both positive and negative, on board as we constantly want to improve our guest standards.
I am sorry to read that you felt this way during your stay with us. Just to mention, in relation to the €1.00 for the locker, there is a swimming check list on the wall after the first entrance into the leisure facilities, and also a sign up in the changing area to advise guests of this charge. I am sorry that you missed this information and for the inconvenience this caused you. Unfortunately we did have a technical issue with the heating system for the Jacuzzi for a couple of days, I do apolagise for this inconvenience. We had a notice up on the wall before entering the leisure centre to advise everyone, but of course this does not change the fact that you did not have the opportunity to enjoy this facility.

If you decided to return back to us, I do hope we can change your opinion of Castleknock Hotel & Country Club

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

We booked the girlie pamper night which is very good value.

We arrived early & although our room was not ready for us, we were able to check in & leave our bags with reception who arranged to have them brought up to our room while we were in the Tonic Spa having our treatments done. The Spa was fabulous & the staff were great. The hotel is beautiful & our room (a triple) was spacious & well equipped.

We were booked into the Brasserie restaurant for dinner & when we arrived down were upgraded to the Park restaurant, which was much nicer. I think this was due to the fact that there was a large (and loud!) hen party in full swing in the Brasserie. The food was great & the set menu, although limited, had great variety.

I have a couple of small gripes with our stay. We had ordered a bottle of Prosecco to be in our room upon arrival, which we got, however, they had only left 2 glasses. When I rang housekeeping I was informed that it would be a while before they could get another glass to us as they were busy with a wedding, so I went down to the bar myself & got one. There was also no wine opener left in the room for the wine, thankfully I had one with me. While waiting to check into the Spa we decided to have a coffee & took a seat in one of the booths in the main lobby area. After approx 10 mins we still had not received any table service & so ended up going to the bar ourselves to order. Attention to detail is the difference between something being good or great, and I personally felt that the staff were concentrating on the wedding party & other things were let slip because of this.

Having said this, I would still recommend this hotel & would definitely go back.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Barbra H

I would like to thank you sincerely for your detailed comments about your stay with us. All feedback is greatly appreciated as our team of staff and management constantly try to improve our guest services in all departments. It seems you booked our Girls night in package which is a very popular package and runs all year round. I am delighted to read that you and your friends had an enjoyable and hopefully relaxing break with us. I have taken your points on board in relation to the table and room service, and will certainly pass this on to relevant staff.
I do hope we can welcome you all back on a future occasion

Wicklow, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stayed in this hotel last weekend for a family wedding. Good quality 4 star hotel. Staff were excellent and food was second to none. Lovely country feel about the place even though its close enough to the city. Really enjoyed my stay here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank glenio
Dear Glenio

Thank you for your lovely feedback. Our team of staff and management are all very proud of each wedding that takes place at Castleknock Hotel. We do try to ensure that our Bride & Grooms wishes are taken care of, down to the very last detail. Therefore, I am thrilled to read your positive comments as a guest attending a wedding.

I do hope we can welcome you back on a future occasion

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

Nice staff. lovely reception. That is where it ends. The grubby carpet in the corridor is the first sign. The room seemed not to be dusted in days. I really can't believe a 4* hotel has a bath for people less than 5 feet tall and a shower that you have to hold over your head yourself. Unlike others I did not get a deal and am regretting having to stay a second night. I like 3* that try to deliver 4* but hate 4* that just aren't. Sent from phone so forgive prose.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank kohallora
Dear kohallora

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. Please note that we do take all feedback very seriously and I have noted all of your points. In relation to your comments about the cleanliness of the bedrooms, I do sincerely apologise that you felt this way, I am quite surprised however; as the feedback we receive in relation to our cleanliness standards are usually extremely positive. Just to add that we have in fact, very recently, fitted all new carpets on the first floor, and the second floor is scheduled to be done this month. Again, I am sorry to read that you feel this way and if you did decide to return to us in the future, I hope we can change your opinion.

Guy Thompson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castleknock
Crowne Plaza Dublin - Blanchardstown
#6 of 153 in Dublin
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,269 reviews
Carton House Hotel & Golf Club
Dunboyne Castle Hotel And Spa

Been to Castleknock Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!