“Had a great relaxing few days”
Review of Castleknock Hotel

Castleknock Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Castleknock
wATERFORD CITY
“Had a great relaxing few days”
Reviewed July 29, 2011

Needed a few relaxing days so booked the hotel for a 2 night stay in July 2011.When we got there we requested if there was a room available for a third night .This was not a problem an we were allowed the same room. As we stayed before and was aware of the high standard of this hotel we were very surprised at the high level of service given to everyone even in these difficult times .There were many families with young children who enjoyed the pool and children area.Bar and restaurant service was quick and professional.Service in the Park restaurant was super with very little wait between courses.Excellent selection of wines and food available and many different meal selections available(early bird ,bar,and evening menus).Food service in bar up to 10pm with good selection.Rooms were clean ,tidy and well maintained.Good place for those needing a relaxing break and even good for those with families.Near to Dublin Zoo.
Staff very helpful and professional.Planning our next return.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
Mullingar
Reviewed July 26, 2011

Attended for civil wedding at hotel - great idea - great room and lovely atmosphere - stayed night before - room was nice but had awful smell which seemed to be coming from shower drain - we informed housekeeping who sent someone to look at it - we headed into town and returned late but still had lingering smell - ( wife was undergoing chemo and very sensitive to smells etc) Informed reception next morning girl was lovely - she said she would talk to manager. On check out I was informed that next time I would be upgraded. Was happy at time but on reflection felt could and should have looked at the current stay not a future one. Would prob stay here again as overall hotel, bar and staff were nice and golf course looked great !

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed July 25, 2011

This is our second time staying here and are planning another visit later in the year with all the family. The hotel is top class, staff are attentive and efficient, restaurant is beautiful and the food was really good. There is a lot of good things I could say about this hotel but I would be here all day. To sum it up, if you decide to stay here you won't be disappointed.

2 Thank Chelsea032
GM_Castleknock_Hotel, General Manager at Castleknock Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2011
Dear Chelsea,

Thank you for recent review. I was delighted to read your comments. It's fantastic to have loyal guests like yourself. I do hope you enjoy your next stay with us Chelsea.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed July 24, 2011

Stayed here with my husband on a 1 night spa break. Great value for what we paid as it included dinner, breakfast plus a €100 Tonic spa voucher. I had 3 treatments for the price of the voucher one of which was a french manicure...not a good move as the manicure wasn't done very well. The spa although being nice does not have shower facilities in it, you have to go down to the pool area and they don't supply towels...very disappointing in comparison to other spa hotel I have been to. The room was lovely very comfortable although our "queen size bed was actually two twin bed pushed together not very comfortable if you want to cuddle! The food in the restaurant was very good indeed..with very efficient waiting staff! WE ordered breakfast to the room, again not a good move, poor portions and very poor value for the €6 each charge to have i delivered. One major tip, if you pay with a debit card, you must pay cash for EVERYTHING thereafter, BUT there is no ATM in the hotel and no cashback facilities, very awkward for those who chose not to use credit cards. All in all a bit disappointing. The big highlight for me was the Clancy brothers who were the entertainment that night, they were excellent and very nice people. They saved the visit!

2 Thank Hollystownfamily
Dear Hollystown Family.

Thank you for your recent review of the hotel. I do appreciate your very honest feedback and constructive criticism of the hotel. I felt that many of your points were valid and have given me some food for thought. I will investigate these matters thoroughly and make the necessary improvements where possible.

Just in relation to a couple of things that you mentioned, there are normally sweat towels ans bath towels given to all resident guests upon request in Tonic Health & Day Spa. I don't know why you were unable to avail of one, so my apologies for that. I would also add that Tonic Health & Day Spa is an area of the hotel that we are constantly investing in having upgraded the beauty salon to a day spa in 2009. We are planning to make a number of further improvements in the coming months with an experienced new manager recently recruited. I regret that we were not aware of your disappointment with your treatment at the time and I do believe that this was an isolated incident and hope that you might considering trying the spa again as I believe you wil enjoy a much better experience.

With regards to the beds, most of our rooms are double beds but where the hotel is particularly busy with requests for double beds, we do have to revert to zip and link beds using some of our twin rooms. I do apologise though as I understand where you're coming from in terms of the difference in comfort down the middle of the bed. In relation to use of payment options, you can use your debit card throughout the hotel in just about every area of the hotel, including bars and restaurants or you can charge items to your room. We have looked in to the option of an ATM on many occasions but it is simply not a viable option for the hotel unfortunately.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. We always ask our guests to let us know about their experience and received almost 700 responses last month of which approximately 91% were positive but we continue to seek improvement.

Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2011

This hotel is really nice and the staff very helpful and friendly. The only criticism of the hotel was that we could not have the window open at night due to the fact that the extractor fans were near to us and the noise was very loud. It was an executive room that we had and one would not expect this to happen. Other than that, the view over the golf course was really great and the location of the hotel within easy reach of Dublin City whilst being in a country location. The room was beautifully decorated and the en-suite was lovely with a separate bath and shower. The complimentary toiletries were really nice. There is a vast choice of food for breakfast and the waiting staff were very attentive.
We would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the noise of the extractor fans!
Dear Linden,

Thank you for your recent comments on the hotel. We do really appreciate you taking the time to write such a lovely review. With regards to the extractor fans, we are continuing to look in to minimising the disruption from the limited number of rooms that are affected by this.

Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2011

When we arrived, the hallway was being painted on our floor, of which, we were not forewarned which was a serious mistake as my elderly mother is very allergic to paint fumes. That evening, we waited 20 minutes for two cocktails to be mixed in the lobby bar which were mediocre and overpriced at best. We decided to dine at The Park restaurant. The hostess was perplexed when we asked for a table and had to ask her manager for assistance in seating us (we were only three !!!). The steaks we ordered, the supposed house speciality, were tough, thin, dry and overcooked. The staff forgot the side orders as well. To top it off, the bus boy would randomly review needed cutlery during the service and the jacket my husband left behind on his chair was conveniently never found. The hotel is in the middle of nowhere as well making a trip into Dublin a chore. And the laughably bad band playing in the lobby could be heard in our room until midnight. An utter waste of a night.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank AnonymousTraveller27
Dear Madam,

I was very disappointed to read your review of our hotel. Although the hotel has won 12 awards since 2009 for business excellence, customer service, food and drink and been awarded an AA rosette, we never rest on our laurels. We will review each of your comments individually and look at areas for improvement. I do find some of your comments unfair and very subjective but I continue to work off the belief that the guest is always right.

I regret that you didn't speak to one of my management team during your stay as we could have resolved many of the issues you described. Castleknock Hotel & Country Club is located about 15-20 minutes from Dublin city centre. We are very clear about our location on our website and marketing literature.

I hope that
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 18, 2011

We stayed here for 1 night (July 12th) B&B with a 4 course dinner - I think the deal was Just for July. On arrival we were very impressed with the grandeur in the lobby area - looked really modern and comfortable. Receptionist was efficient but lacked personality. We were early and had to wait for our room so we took a walk then returned to the hotel and lunch on the patio overlooking the golf course. Our snack was just ok - quite overpriced for a sandwich and a toastie. When our room was ready we had what felt like a mile hike to our room which was at the end of a long long corridor. The room was fine - clean and well equipped. Bathroom was ok too, towels were a bit thin though. Shower cubicle could do with a hook for your towel just outside it! We had a four course dinner included in our deal. When went to the restaurant we were abandoned at the table and no drink order was taken, by the time I got the attention of a waiter we'd been sitting for 10 mins. we could have ordered from either the restaurant or the bistro menu - but we discovered our deal included 20euro each for our meal - the restaurant menu had no main courses under 20euro we opted for the bistro. How disappointing considering this hotel has 2 "rosettes" for excellent food. Starters were salad - nearly a whole loaf of white pan loaf croutons and a tomato and mozzerella salad which just about passed the test! Main course of supreme of chicken stuffed with cream cheese and sundried tomatoes was extremely disappointing. Chicken was slightly overcooked and it was stuffed with garlic philly cheese no trace of tomatoes and the accompanying basil infused risotto appeared to be stodgy cheesy/herby rice. It was just edible. My partner ordered sea trout with carmelised onion mash and a almond and prawn cream. Such an odd combination. Turned out the mash was mashed potatoes with onions drenched in balsamic perched on top. The sauce was just cream with teeny prawns and chopped almonds floating in it. I did suggest a complaint should be made but neither of us knew what else we wanted to eat of the limited bistro menu so we ate what we could and looked forward to pudding - my partner did mentiion the carmalised onion mash was disappointing - waitress said she'd tell the chef. So, the pudding.... 3 of the puddings on the menu had ran out. I was given the option to have an apple slice - bitter apples on bizarre sponge - like a bad supermarket offering. My partners chocolate brownie looked good but it turned out it was stale!!!! Outside was hard like it had been left to the elements and inside was dry. We complained to the waitress but she shrugged and said she'd tell the chef - she offered another pudding but seeing there were no puddings left there was no point.

apart from the disppointing dinner we had a good comfortable nights sleep and my partner enjoyed the gym the next morning.

and so we anticipated breakfast. Now there are warnings in the hotel that breakfast is most tranquil between 7 and 8am but being on a mini break we wanted a lie in. Oh dear. Breakfast room was like a zoo. 300 rooms worth of adults and children flitting about round the hot buffet and the toaster. There was plenty of everthing and the hot food was hot and fresh but very disorganised trying to dodge children with a hot plate in your hand is dicey. A waiter bringing toast to the table would be a better practice to adopt. Not to mention men golfers absent mindedly queuing up the wrong way and blocking the entrance to the breakfast room. We regretted not taking our plates to the patio for a calm and tranquil outdoor breakfast!!!

We checked out very soon after breakfast. The receptionist listened to our concerns about our dinner the previous night - she said we could speak to the Food & Beverage Manager but to be honest we didn't know what this would achieve. The receptionist put a note on our file to give us an upgrade if we book again.

To conclude it was nice to be offered the upgrade. We had a comfortable nights stay and we didn't starve. The hotel served its purpose for the night but we will not return.

1 Thank Holidayfan9090
Dear HolidayFan9090,

Thank you for your recent review. Obviously there is a lot of feedback for us to review, especially in relation to the meal. We do record all comments, both positive and negative and these are processed and analysed by the management team to see if there are any trends or areas for improvement.

I do apologise that your meal was not the standard that you expected. On the Just for July package, the rate was just €55 per person sharing which includes overnight accommodation, breakfast and dinner so I hope you can understand why the allocation was just €20 per person and why we could not offer our more extensive a la carte menu for this price. However, we have received very positive feedback from most of our guests in relation to this menu and the restaurant standards and as you mentioned we have an AA rosette award which we have been awarded for each of the last 3 years.

With regards to breakfast, where the hotel is almost full, it can be very busy for the last 30 minutes of breakfast time as many people choose to come down as late as possible. We do communicate this to guests and advise them to try and have their breakfast a little bit earlier if they want to enjoy a more peaceful experience. I think it's fair to say that this is the same for most hotels.

Once again I am sorry that your stay was not what you expected but I can assure you that we do take your comments very seriously. I do hope you might return to the hotel at some point in the future.

Guy Thompson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castleknock
Kilmainham
Sheldon Park Hotel
Sheldon Park Hotel
#67 of 151 in Dublin
Clontarf Castle Hotel
#3 of 151 in Dublin
The Croke Park
#5 of 151 in Dublin

Been to Castleknock Hotel? Share your experiences!