“Terrible is putting it nicely.”

Travelodge Dublin Phoenix Park
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Castleknock
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Where to begin...

I'm not entirely sure it's hygienic or customer friendly to have a dog living in their office, especially as that's where they store your luggage. What if a guest had an allergy?

On my booking I requested a 'quiet, non-smoking room'. Whilst all the rooms are non-smoking, we were given a room facing directly onto a car park area where people went to smoke! (I think this may have been STAFF! as we were right next to a service entrance, and most guests seem to smoke at the front door). Ah yes, the service entrance, not exactly a quiet location when they receive deliveries every morning. And to make matters worse there were bins right outside our window, which were used very late every night - woke me up every single time! Every night, without fail, there were lone children playing in the hallway with a football, shouting and screaming and the hotel were doing nothing to stop this (I am led to believe by my partner that one of the children may belong to a receptionist)

The room was roasting. I don't just mean a little too hot, I mean sleeping in it was impossible, and I know from past experience that Travelodge don't provide fans (who am I kidding, this one didn't even have an ironing board! - but they did have irons). To make sleeping even harder, the curtain maybe block about 5% of the light from outside, and there was a lamppost directly outside our window.

The rooms do have tea and coffee making facilities, but during the first three days the hotel had no milk available. We were told we could go and get some from the restaurant, but they wanted to charge us 2 euro for it!

So during our 5 night stay we didn't get a single night of even half-way decent sleep, and breakfast wasn't much better. We booked B&B as when you're a 20 minute bus ride from the city, you don't really have a choice. Every morning without fail the breakfast service was poor - from forgetting items we had paid for, to freezing in a blind panic when a guest took ill and collapsed (Thank God there was a medically trained guest or I dread to think what could have happened to the poor man).

And now we get onto Housekeeping... From the moment we checked in to the moment we left, the corridor outside our room stank of damp. It didn't get any better when on day 3 we woke up to a flooded carpet all up the hallway! Luckily the smell didn't affect the room itself, but whoever is in charge of cleanliness in this place needs fired immediately. The mirrors were all dirty, there were ring-marks on the bathroom shelf, dust every where, and limescale in the sink and bath/shower and the toilet seat was broken and off at an angle. On top of that, during our stay our linen was not changed once and the room was never hoovered. Frankly, this is appalling considering we were there 5 nights! (not to mention the amount we sweated in that heat!)

And to end an already disastrous stay, when we went to check out there was no-one at reception, so we just had to dump the key on the desk. Although, I don't know if any resolution could have been provided, but to be honest I want my money back.

Safe to say I will not be staying with Travelodge again.

Before writing this review I asked my partner if he could think of anything positive I could put in it - guess what, not a single thing.

Room Tip: Do not stay here!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Mario C, General Manager at Travelodge Dublin Phoenix Park, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Dear Ella789,

I would like to thank you in first place for taking the time to review our Hotel. I regret profusely the experience you had whilst staying with us.
I would like though, to bring a couple of things to your attention, the dog you mention was living in our office, was actually a pet that got lost from the family and was dangerously walking by the main road and was almost run over a couple of times. We decided to bring the animal in and we called the animal shelter to pick up the animal which they did later in the day. All Travelodge Hotels are pet friendly and we advertise that profusely.
We were not made aware of children playing in the corridor, had we known about it we would have taken action. I can also guarantee that none of those children are family to our Reception staff as none of them are parents.
The guest that took ill, was promptly helped by another guest (a fully trained paramedic) and that in fact was the best that could have happened. I must say though, our staff was on the phone with the emergency services throughout the whole situation and only when it was deemed that the ambulance was not necessary we were instructed by the emergency services to end the call. The guest was then escorted to his room by a member of our staff and later returned to have his breakfast. I’m glad to inform you that the guest is in good health and was very grateful to our staff for all the assistance provided. I then personally thanked the guest that assisted him.
As for the remaining issues you have encountered, I will need some more information so that I can fully investigate the situation. I kindly ask you to contact me via e-mail on mario.casinhas@travelodge.ie or via telephone on +353 1 820 2626.

Yours truly,

Reviewed August 2, 2013

Room was clean and fit for purpose, staff were fantastic and unbelievably helpful. Would have no problem staying here again. The food was good and reasonably priced also...................................................................................................................''

.............

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Dear Martin M,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. I am very happy to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us and your kind comments about the staff have been passed on.

Should you be in Dublin again in the future please contact me directly via e-mail to mario.casinhas@travelodge.ie or via telephone to +353 1 820 26 26.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

very cheap and reasonable. not noisy and staff were helpful. the room was moderately clean, not enough towels or tissue paper though. close enough to the zoo which is why we stayed. bus stop right outside. cheap and cheerful

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Mario C, General Manager at Travelodge Dublin Phoenix Park, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Dear Amy May W,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel.I am very happy to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us and your kind comments about the staff have been passed on.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

Stayed here over the weekend to attend a concert in the Phoenix Park. The hotel was cheap to stay. It was easy to find and in a great location.

The hotel was very close to the park entrance and took us about 10 mins to walk to.

The hotel room was clean and spacious, we had a double bed and a sofa. It was quite at night.

There is no bar as such but you can get bottles of beer etc served in the restaurant.

The breakfast the following morning was fine. Service was very good. Staff were pleasant and helpful.

I would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Mario C, General Manager at Travelodge Dublin Phoenix Park, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Dear LucyJoans,

I am very happy to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us. I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

I booked this hotel for a friend and I to stay in whilst on a weekend trip to Dublin, it was very reasonably priced however do not be sucked in by the price as both of us where less than impressed with the overall experience of the hotel. Upon arrival of the hotel we checked in at reception with a very unwelcoming receptionist who just asked for our name without a hello or a friendly welcoming entrance, she then checked us in and pushed the key across the counter without a smile or even a point in the right direction to find our room so we had to take ourselves off and work out where the room was. We got into the room and to be fair it was clean enough can't really complain there, but they do not provide any toiletries for the shower or sink etc, not what you expect from a hotel. On our second night both of us where at a gig in Phoenix park we got split up and made our way back to the hotel separately, I arrived first however my friend had the key, I alerted reception that I needed someone to let me into my room, at which point they only asked me the door number of the room I was staying in, as helpful as they where in getting me access to my room at no point was I asked my name or for any form of identification so not very secure at all, anybody could have got into my room and helped themselves to my belongings. Overall i would not recommend the hotel to anyone unless you are looking for somewhere cheap to stay that's close to phoenix park! That was its only advantage that we managed to discover during our stay!

Dear Bert M,

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. As I read your review, I have the feeling that you had more of an issue with the staff than the Hotel being cheap. Travelodge is in fact a budget brand and sells rooms a great deal cheaper than it's competitors by doing without several amenities. What for me is not acceptable is my colleagues not to be engaging, helpful, friendly or professional. I kindly ask you to get in touch with me via e-mail mario.casinhas@travelodge.ie or via telephone +353 1 820 26 26 so that I can learn all the circumstances and take appropriate action.

Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

You know your going cheap and cheerful with a Travelodge but unfortunately this place only provided the cheap. We had booked a twin room and arrived to a double bed and a sofa. When we rang reception we were told all the rooms were like that. Ok, but was there any chance we could maybe have the sofa bed made?!? They said would do it while we were out. We came back from a concert tired and ready for sleep but I was not to be. Having bedclothes apparently is too much to ask for. I can only guess the young man who. And up to our room was a student earning some extra cash. He swore under his breath as he pull and dragged the sofa bed, then when he couldn't get it out simply left the room...! I went downstairs 20 MINUTES later only for him to start tellin me off saying he wasn't told we had asked for the bed to be made and it wasn't his fault! He then threw keys of another room across the counter (literally) and stormed off into the back office. The older man at reception simply shrugged his shoulders and said sorry. Cheap...yes, in every sense of the word.

• Stayed: July 2013

Dear Pipsqueak2009,

I am truly disappointed with the experience you had whilst staying with us and I would like to sincerely apologize on behalf of all the staff here at Travelodge Phoenix Park for the way you were treated.

I have done some investigation into the facts and would be extremely appreciated if you would contact me via e-mail mario.casinhas@travelodge.ie or via telephone +353 1 820 26 26.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

This travelodge was just what we were looking for as we were attending a rally in the area. Clean comfortable rooms on the ground floor and in a quiet location. The rooms and bathrooms were spotlessly clean, clean white towels daily, additional soap and enough tea, coffee and supplies + proper glasses in the bathroom. Excellent staff on reception, ordered us taxis for whenever we wanted and ontime.
An American style diner next door served breakfast all day although the only let down for us was that they did not start until 8o'clock in the morning so too late for us on the Sunday and Monday mornings, staff were excellent, they have several coach tourists stopping here.
Thank you to Mario Casinhas and the team also it was good to meet you this morning as we were leaving. If we are in the area again we will not hesitate to try and stop again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Mario C, General Manager at Travelodge Dublin Phoenix Park, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Dear M8T,

It was indeed a pleasure meeting you and the members of your team. We sincerely appreciate the feedback and we are extremely happy that you enjoyed your stay.
As per our conversation I am in the process of solving the issue with the breakfasts and will be back to you soon with a final answer.

Should you require any assistance with your future bookings, please contact me directly on +353 1 820 26 26 or via e-mail to mario.casinhas@travelodge.ie

Travelodge Phoenix Park

Also consider these accommodations in or near Castleknock
Castleknock Hotel
Sheldon Park Hotel
#69 of 150 in Dublin
Twelfth Lock Hotel
#3 of 3 in Castleknock

Been to Travelodge Dublin Phoenix Park? Share your experiences!