“Its travelodge not the hilton”

Travelodge Dublin Phoenix Park
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Castleknock
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I stayed at the phoenix park traveloge with my wife and 3 teenage kids we booked 2 rooms. This travelodge was recommended by a friend as he said it was a good base in order to explore Dublin.
When we arrived the receptionist delt with  our checkin, i asked her if wi-fi was free in public places? She said that i would have to pay for internet access so i showed her the printout that we had when we made our online booking it said that you had to pay for wi-fi  access while in your room, but wi-fi was free in public areas. When i showed this to the receptionist she said that it was not this hotels booking form but another company who deals with bookings, so i asked was this false advertising she said it must be! I also asked her for her interpretation of it and she said that from what she read she would also think that free Wi-fi would be provided, i then asked her if she could give me a voucher for 5euro for 24 hours of wi-fi access. She said that she would under the circumstances.
I should say that the receptionist delt with my problem very well.
Anyone reading this might think im making a big issue of this but i say to you when travelling with teenagers wi-fi is a must! And when something says in black an white free wi-fi, then     That is what you expect!
Now the room: the issues that we had were was cleanliness of the bathroom/shower area, the shower head had a lot of limescale build up, the plastic chrome shower controls had alot of scaly buildup the cold water control didnt work, the shower was really hot, just the way i like it! But wife and kids wearnt  impressed. The Toilet flusher needed a few pulls before it worked.
If the maid service paid just a wee bit more attention to detail & management did the odd spot check to make sure cleaning was being done properly then this travelodge would be great.
Would we stay here again? Of course we would.
This is not the hilton hotel its travelodge, its just a basic place to sleep and recharge your batteries, and the cost is very good. Also it is a great base to start your Dublin adventure.
The diner attached was great, the food was lovely, the staff were very friendly.

• Stayed: August 2012
Caroline P, Hotel Supervisor at Travelodge Dublin Phoenix Park, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Dear Derrytaxi,

Many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay however I am dissapointed to read that you did not find the room standards to your satisfaction, I will be sure to address this with the housekeeping team.

I look forward to seeing you back with us in the future.

Caroline Palazzo
Hotel Supervisor

Reviewed August 7, 2012

If you are accustomed to Travelodge, you will not be surprised if you come across one which could do with refurbishment (e.g. New TV? plug in the sink? bit sorry equipment?) but having said that don't be put off! Location ideal if you have a car and feel confident in driving in Dublin! N3 the ideal artery and so easy. No problem with finding your way 'home and back' each day. spent 2 nights on arriving in Dublin and later on 1 night when returning to Dublin to leave Ireland - What a clean and pleasant land it is - the staff too at the Travelodge - not forgetting the good breakfast on the Travelodge all in deal. All very affordable! Wouldn't choose anywhere else if we returned by car to Dublin someday - so you can visit here too, without fear!

Room Tip: Ground Floor Fine
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear HCHemming

Many thanks for your kind review, I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and hope that we see you again soon.

Kind Regards,
Caroline

Reviewed July 23, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights as it was central to where we were visiting ie Dublin zoo and national aquatic centre
Had room at back of hotel which was quiet
Room was clean and functional
Staff were very friendly and helpful
The diner beside was good for breakfast and staff there were also very nice
Had a pleasant stay with no issues
Good value for money

• Stayed: July 2012
Manager_PP, General Manager at Travelodge Dublin Phoenix Park, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2012

Dear Aussiebunch

Many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel, I am delighted you found the rooms comfortable and sincerely apologise that you did not receive your extra bedding when promised. Also in relation to the smell of smoke, I again apologise. The hotel is entirely non smoking but unfortunately there are times when guests will ignore these rules, and the smell will leak onto the corridor.

The roadway around the hotel was upgraded a few years ago as part of the M50 works and unfortunately although making the hotel more accessible to M50 and the City Centre, sat navs do not seem to have caught up with the improvements! Directions can be found on our website and map sites.

I apologise that our customer service let us down during your stay and will ensure that these issues are addressed with the staff and do not reoccur in the future, many thanks for your feedback.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed July 15, 2012

Hotel was clean to look at but smelt quite strongly of cigarette smoke in both the corridors our rooms were in.

We had 2 family rooms' neither of the additional beds were made up, one of them did not have the additional bedding in the room.  The reception staff advised they would arrange the bedding while we were at dinner, this did not happen.

The rooms were a nice size and the beds comfortable.

We came to the hotel from Limerick, the sat nav had problems finding it, but this was nothing compared with coming back from dinner in Dublin town centre, this was quite frustrating, but as Ireland does not have postcodes we had problems at each of the hotels.

We used the prepaid Internet at reception, where we had problems but the member of staff behind reception was reluctant to help.

This was a reasonably priced hotel but not sure I would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank AussieBunch

Dear Patrick C

Thank you for your review on trip advisor. I am extremely disappointed that you had so many problems during your stay. We rely heavily on guests letting us know during their stay if they are having issues so that they can be rectified and you can leave happy rather than upset and disappointed. Issues like those you have mentioned can be rectified very easily as soon as we are made aware, and we would have ensured you had been moved to a room at the back with extra soaps, tea/coffee towels etc, as we do for all our guests. I am delighted however that you were happy in our Rathmines property and hope you enjoyed the remainder of your stay there.

I would very much like to discuss your stay with you personally and can be reached directly at marianne.mcgrath@travelodge.ie or at the hotel reception. I do hope you get in contact and look forward to hearing from you.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed July 11, 2012

We stayed here at last and this was INDEED the WORSE hotel I have ever stayed in. First of all, if travelling by Train, there are no signs to direct you to the hotel. You have to fend for yourself walking along a busy main road, thankfully it was during the day, god help you if it was at night. Secondly, the hotel itself. We checked in, the hotel was not that busy, the Receptionist was not interested in us telling her about signage. Just sign in, credit card and here is your room. The room was at the front, overlooking a lovely main busy road into Dublin. So noise aplenty. Even with the windows shut, our friend who checked in 15 mins later, was asked if they wanted a quiet room, which he indeed took, luckily for him, why were we not offered a room at the back of the hotel. As for the room. 1 teabag for 2 people. We being 2 men, had the luxury of having supplied in what is called the bathroom 5 sanitry plastic bags, great!!! The shower went everywhere but on you, the shower curtain had more stains than I care to remember. One little bar of soap. The TV that had more snow on the picture it than the swiss alps! As for any facilities. There is a Diner attached, thankfully. We were able to get something to eat and drink .The staff there were very pleasant, helpful and polite! . I would not recommend this hotel to anyone unless I really disliked them! Localtion in the middle of no where didnt help either. All in all, glad to get out of it. We now in Travelodge Rathmines, 100% better all around.

Room Tip: Go to another Hotel, do not stay here!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Patrick C
Reviewed June 17, 2012

I stayed her after going to an event in pheonix Park which itself is extensive a few miles away at the cost of @ 10E in a taxi from the Park itself. I was shown to a room which had not been made up with a pre slept in bed and rubbish in the bin! I was moved to a double instead of triple room which I had booked but was tired and glad of a clean fresh bed neway. I had a shower and when I stept out I realised there were no towels. I rang reception and some1 left a few towels at the door "handtowels I think they were quite busy but they really should have checked the two rooms. Its funny now but I hope security did not see ne nude figures in the corridor grappling for towels!
I was not driving, there is a bus which stops on the motorway outside not far away and two garages 5 min walk for necessities only. i HAD A gr8 sleep despite the motorway traffic which you dont hear with the tv on! Its a bit far from the City Centre but accessible for onward travel if you dont want to go in and out

Room Tip: As far away from the main motorway its on so you dont hear the traffic
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Management response:Responded June 30, 2012

Dear Vaila

Many thanks for you review and my sincere apologies for the mix up with the room and subsequently the issue with the towels. Thank you for highlighting this error and I will ensure in furture that it does not happen again. I hope that despite these errors on our part that you enjoyed your stay and the event in the Park, and that we see you with us again in the future.

Hotel Manager

Reviewed June 8, 2012

Picked this due to it's handy location for visiting family in Blanchardstown, Finglas and Cabra, all very close by car. Room was as expected for Travelodge, not luxury but as usual the bed was comfy, the shower hot and powerful, Tv worked and tea and coffee in the room, basically I got what I expected for a very reasonable rate, no complaints. Although next to the N3 we slept with the windows open, being used to a little traffic noise at home, and we slept soundly for the 3 nights we stayed. The Reception staff were very friendly and helpful. We prepaid EUR7.00 each for breakfast each morning in the Dawn to Dusk diner next door. No restrictions on breakfast times and great value for the price if you like a good full Irish, toast and tea to set you up for the day! Again the staff were all local, friendly and helpful.
The location was also useful for Phoenix Park where we quickly drove to to enjoy a great day at the Bloom festival on Bank Holiday Monday.
All in all we got what we paid for at Travelodge. Thanks!

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Manager_PP, General Manager at Travelodge Dublin Phoenix Park, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2012

Dear JimoHarlow

Many thanks for your kind review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and hope that we see you again soon!

Hotel Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Castleknock
Castleknock Hotel
Sheldon Park Hotel
#69 of 150 in Dublin
Twelfth Lock Hotel
#3 of 3 in Castleknock

Been to Travelodge Dublin Phoenix Park? Share your experiences!